Dj's United

Hi,

Just started my mobile Disco buissness again after a long gap ( 20 years ).

I have been charging approx £150 an evening. However I have been asked to

do a New Years Eve Disco at a local Working Man`s Club, they said they are booking early as they were disappointed with the Disco they had last time.

What is an approx going rate for New Years Eve.

Tony

What you charge is really a personal matter, what do you think you are worth and what the client wishes to pay.

As a rule of thumb I would say most people will get between 1 1/2 and 2 times their normal rate for NYE.

Jim

Only you can really answer that. You know how much you can get your services. No doubt there will be some people who would charge £100 for New Years Eve, others would charge £1000 and some people would refuse to do it for any money. It really depends on a number of factors to numerous to mention all of them but probably most importantly of all are you doing it for the money or just as a hobby? What sort of discos do you normally do or want to spend most of your time doing? Of course your fee will vary as well on the occasion - is it a five hour wedding or a two hour children's disco. I think that perhaps when you done a few more gigs and you are back into the swing of things and feeling more confident then you will be able to charge more money.

I think perhaps you are thinking that, as this is for New Years Eve, in 9 months time you may be charging more for your services and you do not want to set a price of £x for your disco, if come New Years Eve you are generally charging more and would probably charge twice as much for a similiar gig quoted then and there is no easy answer to that one.

If you are jusy coming back into the business you may feel that you shouldn't charge too much initially but if you are just as skilled as before and you can put on as good a show then there is no reason why you shouldn't charge the same. You may decide that you need to lower your price to generate some bookings until you are more well known and there are advantages and disadvantages to that. The one thing I would not recommend that you do is start charging far less than you want to or for the sort of clients you want to attract. This will both make it difficult for you if you suddenly decide to put up your prices and it may put some clients off if they think that you are 'too' cheap.

New Years Eve is definetely one of those occasions where you can charge more - DJs like most people would prefer not to spend the evening working and so some will refuse to do the evening and there is always a high demand for DJs for all those parties out there, which inevitably results in a situation where DJs can charge double (or even more in some cases) their normal rate.

There are some who will charge a similiar amount to you and others who will say you are too cheap but at the end of the day it is up to you and you charge what you feel you are worth and what you think is reasonable. It is probably worth ringing up a few DJs in your area who you think offer a similiar service and finding out what they would charge for a standard gig and taking an average. I am not saying that you should rely totally on the resulting price but it will be useful for you as a guide.

No right or wrong answer to questions relating to price, whether its part of a normal gig or for events like New Years Eve.

Suffice to say that if you are still around and still making a profit after a year or so, then it would be fair to say that your price structure works for you based on your own personal business model. If you go bust shortly after starting or continuously make a loss and have to rely on other income to bail out the business then suffice to say it was the wrong structure. I know of people charging modest fees who make profit, and equally I see and hear of others charging a lot who make losses consistantly - of course vice versa also applies too.

A successful business (whatever it charges) should be one which makes a profit and gives the business owner are relatively comfortable lifestyle. A better business model is one which gives all of that as well as private medical cover and a reasonable pension, because thats what some 9 - 5 jobs offer, even mundane ones and a self employed business owner deserves at attain at least that IMO, because the effort put in is much, much greater than just getting up in the morning and going to work smile icon .

So its really your call on what model you want to set your sights on, and what will give you the best chance of reaching your aspirations. It also all depends on what others in your area are charging, whether you offer a service over and above the others (as a means to charge a significantly higher fee).

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

a local company provides bog standard disco's (large company - multi operator) for between £500-600 a pop and will have lots out.

Plenty of local DJ's seem to be working from anywhere between £300 and £500

Some even work for less, why? Because of many reasons, which you may wish to consider

1) How much work have they provided you with over the year?

2) Easy Night? Very local? Free Bar? Free Accomodation? brings the wife etc

3) Lots of friends and you get to enjoy yourself

it depends if you are in it for the money or for a good time, or a healthy mix of the two?

Hi,

do a New Years Eve Disco at a local Working Man`s Club, they said they are booking early as they were disappointed with the Disco they had last time.

Tony

In the South East, I used to get £250+ for a Christmas Eve, £250+ for Boxing Day and the most I ever got paid on a NYE club gig was £350...not complaining, as I had plenty of extra work during the course of a year, with plenty blown on fuel when I moved oop 'ere!!

Is it a one-off booking enquiry or has the club offered you other work / do you already gig there?

Hi,

Tony

A working mans club is never going to be a prime booking, and considering there's 9 m0nths to go, I would suggest you don't commit yourself at this stage. You could try asking £500, if they accept you are on a winner, but be sure to get a deposit!

New Site Clouds Disco

£1 3s 4d

£500 for a working mans club ???????????

Wake up !!

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

£1 3s 4d

Wake up !!

Still working in the old money Andy?! You tight git! :bouncy:

£1 3s 4d

Wake up !!

You're missing my point, I'm aware a working mens club are only going to pay half of that or less, even though it's NYE, so why commit yourself to such a gig, when there's 9 months to go? Something better will probably come along, but if they did accept it, it would be worth your while. Personally, I'd rather not do this type of gig at any price.

New Site Clouds Disco

One of my regular slots is a working mens club. I did NYE for them end of 2007 for what I consider to be a reasonable amount given that they sell the tickets for £5 a piece and pack the place to about 120 capacity. Last year they had a singer. I'm not saying the were disappointed but i'm booked for this year, with an extra £100 on top (offered by them to secure), plus all the Mild I can drink (which is a lot ;-)

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos