Dj's United

Which Speakers?

Ok, I've bought Numark CD Decks and a W Audio 300 Watt Amp, I am not 100% which one, I'll look when I get home.

I'm looking for a decent pair of speakers with a nice bass. I only really need 300W speeakers to match my Amplifier but if I can get any better for the money I have, that would be awsome for the future. I only do house party's, nothing massive. I have around £200 to spend, maximum. I know it's not a big budget but I'm thinking 50 people at the most? This is only my starting equipment until I make money to upgrade in the future.

Signature edited. Please read the rules concerning signature linking.

£39.00 over budget but these aren't bad speakers for the money LD Systems

They have a good SPL 1W/1m: 102dB so will make the most of the power you have. Would be fine for house parties although being only 12" won't give ground shattering bass but they do sound half descent.

You need to give us more information on the amplifier in order for us to help you properly. I would presume that the wattage is RMS but importantly is the wattage: per side or in total and is this at 4ohms or at 8ohms. If you don't understand this if you pop the model name/number on here I will advise. This is important, as a 300W per side amp at 8 ohms will be almost three times as powerful as a 150W per side amp at 4 ohms by my reckoning.

However for a house party (unless you live in a mansion with huge rooms) you don't need a very powerful system at all and some average 12" speakers should be fine. You won't get earth shattering bass with 12" speakers in a disco environment but there should be more than enough for a house party. Are you looking at new only or is secondhand also an option?

I would have said that TonyB's suggestion sounded pretty good but it would not be suitable with that amp - the speakers are 250W RMS into 8ohms whereas the amp is 100W RMS a side into 8 ohms. I think he assumed that the amplifier would be 300W a side, as 150 W a side is very unusual for disco use. Given the low power of the amp (100W RMS into 8 ohms or 150W RMS into 4 ohms) you are either going to be looking at very budget end speakers 12", 10" or even 8", or alternatively looking at passive monitors or possibly even home stereo speakers. With that power I would think that you may be better looking at monitors or home stereo speakers, as I doubt you will be able to find good quality disco speakers at that sort of power.

I am not sure if you were thinking about buying some speakers for house parties with a view to eventually start doing a few discos - if so to be honest, whatever speakers you get which are suitably matched with your amplifier, will not be powerful enough for most (if any) occasions. I don't really know much about these sorts of speakers and I would not like to recommend something that, technically would work with the amplifier, but I don't know anything about the reliability of and so I will leave it to the others to recommend some speakers. You have to be particularly carefully buying equipment right in the budget end. I think there is an 8" speaker you can get from Maplin at this sort of power but I would definetely steer clear of that. :protest:

Are there any speakers which will go from my Numark CD Decks with the built in AMP? I can probably get my budget up to £300 if needed.

Speakers I suggested will work fine with the amp, just not to their full potential. Would save you having to buy more powerful speakers if you get a more powerful amp. Considering the SPL of them, they will be louder than a lot of speakers in the same price range.

Soundlab actives are good value for money. 15" are better but the 12" are around £270 a pair e.g. http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=1174 (may be cheaper if you shop around). I know of a hire company that uses them and hasn't had any problems with them even being used and abused as hire stock.

Just had a look around and the prices has really gone up with the credit crunch. Studiospares and Skytronic used to do sub £300 actives but not anymore.

Anyone have any suggstions for about £200, I will eventually upgrade my Amp. I would like speakers with a speakon output cause my amp's main input is speakon. :p

Most speakers have speakons anyway so shouldn't be a problem.

Have a look at Class D http://www.classd.ltd.uk/home.php?cat=3. They are a bit like marmite, you either love them or hate them. There are a number of DJ's that love 'em and use them for their main rigs.

The cheaper ones have piezo tweeters which personally I don't like but may be okay for what you need.

They will be suitable to start off with using a bigger amp if you start to do functions in halls, bigger venues etc. If the parties goes well, you could well be asked to do bigger functions.

Whatever you get at this price level, you will probably end up upgrading in the future so the option is to either save up a bit more and buy something better now or buy something cheap on the understanding that it could well be money down the drain in future when you want to upgrade (resale value for cheaper gear is negligible).