Dj's United

Nnnnooooo! Not Another "pro Dj"!

Ok so to cut along story short in the past month i know of 1 pub that has opened! "good to see" and a lad with no experience become a "pro dj"!

so the pub, the landlord has spent £2.5k on a sound system,lights the full works. i gave him some advice and even went with him to some equipment shops to buy the stuff he needed. I installed it for him tested it etc...... i then get a phone call to say i have the dj here that will be using the stuff can you show him how it works ok i said. I get to the venue to find a spotty teenager standing there dresses like vicky pollards brother!

"ok i think" i show him the stuff ask him a few questions "have you used anything like this before etc...." i got "eeeerrrrrrr no!!!" to most.

i just thought is there any point in me doing this anymore by this point.

so i go home and think i will give it 2 weeks with this lad. sure enough i get a phone call a week after "is there any chance you can show another "dj" how to work the stuff! so being me i said yes. so same again etc....... so 3rd time i refused to waist my time.

So the other day i was told someone i knew had started djing "great i thought" good luck to him! i then hear the "he has a laptop and down loads as he goes" i was thinking well theres another "pro dj"

now i'm not saying all there guys are bad but i realized its to easy to start these days when i started 13 years ago when i was 12! yes 12 i was lucky enough to go out with a dj and learn the job first(well learn what i could). then my mum and dad bought me some cheap second hand gear with 1000s of records

and it started from there

but now i find a pc/laptop some track,cheap sound system and some flashing lights done! your a pro

and i know we all started some were but these guys are picking up gigs that are well above them and killing them.

i know it wont affect all of you but were i live it seems to be 10 dj's to every function room,pub,club etc......

so time has come to hang the head phones

good luck to all the dj's out there that do well from business but stay on your toes!

lets hope that grass is greener on the other side.

RANT OVER!!!! :rant:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so to cut along story short in the past month i know of 1 pub that has opened! "good to see" and a lad with no experience become a "pro dj"!

so the pub, the landlord has spent £2.5k on a sound system,lights the full works. i gave him some advice and even went with him to some equipment shops to buy the stuff he needed. I installed it for him tested it etc...... i then get a phone call to say i have the dj here that will be using the stuff can you show him how it works ok i said. I get to the venue to find a spotty teenager standing there dresses like vicky pollards brother!

"ok i think" i show him the stuff ask him a few questions "have you used anything like this before etc...." i got "eeeerrrrrrr no!!!" to most.

i just thought is there any point in me doing this anymore by this point.

so i go home and think i will give it 2 weeks with this lad. sure enough i get a phone call a week after "is there any chance you can show another "dj" how to work the stuff! so being me i said yes. so same again etc....... so 3rd time i refused to waist my time.

So the other day i was told someone i knew had started djing "great i thought" good luck to him! i then hear the "he has a laptop and down loads as he goes" i was thinking well theres another "pro dj"

now i'm not saying all there guys are bad but i realized its to easy to start these days when i started 13 years ago when i was 12! yes 12 i was lucky enough to go out with a dj and learn the job first(well learn what i could). then my mum and dad bought me some cheap second hand gear with 1000s of records

and it started from there

but now i find a pc/laptop some track,cheap sound system and some flashing lights done! your a pro

and i know we all started some were but these guys are picking up gigs that are well above them and killing them.

i know it wont affect all of you but were i live it seems to be 10 dj's to every function room,pub,club etc......

good luck to all the dj's out there that do well from business but stay on your toes!

lets hope that grass is greener on the other side.

Welcome to the real world!! Crap ain't it...??

That's a bit of a drastic solution, if you don't mind me saying!! I do know how you feel though, I saw this situation coming two years ago, and the same is starting to happen with the venue lighting market right now. :damn: To be realistic, there's no way of stopping it happening, and I predict it will get worse before it gets better, but there are ways forward if you want to stay in the industry. You need to turn your strengths against their weaknesses, it's all down to marketing yourself properly. Try to promote the image of a 'experienced safe pair of hands' old enough to have the ability, yet young enough to still be in touch with what's happening. Have you considered promoting your own events? If you can bring a sizeable, free spending crowd in, in these cash strapped times, some venues are only too happy to provide a free room and a cut of the bar take, match this up with an eighteenth birthday party and you're on to a good little earner (much more than you would ever dare ask for) IMO it's a mistake to dwell on past glories, the world has moved on and you can't do anything about that. what you can do, is eveluate the current situation and formulate a business plan to deal with how things are now. Then put the same energy and enthuasiasm into that, as you did when you started the business the first time aroiund. Let the past go, but retain the experience.

New Site Clouds Disco

Pretty much sums up what i've been saying in posts for the past few months. In that we are essentially operating in what the public and careers advisors alike do see as an *unskilled trade, something that anybody can buy into by way of equipment and just give it a go often they DO. The sudden increase in the diversity of those DJ who now dry hire equipment direct to the general public, who didn't a few years ago also seems to quantify this somewhat. After all there are a lot of unemployed people out there looking for things to spend their redundancy money on, and this figure grows by the day, i'm sure a few would be tempted into DJ'ing, especially when they read on forums of 'big money' figures which are being earned by a few.

Whilst other trades also have their share of cowboys and costcutters, it would be unlikely to find a 14, 15, 16 year old electrician or gas fitter, so I guess Dj'ing is a viable pocket money pastime for the 'spotty teenagers' whom you refer to, other than a paper round I guess there isn't much else they can do. 16 - 18 year olds rarely get any benefits either.

Personally, I think that this has always been a problem, but its the growth and use of things like forums and the internet which just makes it LOOK like its more common because people are discussing it more openly, but its always been here, I was undercut more than two decades ago by a dude with a cheaper record player than me :ads: , its not a new trend.

I'm honestly not surprised that licensed venues are seeking ways of cutting costs, for the past few years now there has been an influx of students and eastern europeans taken on within even 4 and 5 star venues in various diverse roles which include managerial as well as the more traditional waiting on. Do you really think that a venue / chain which has drastically cut its management and staff wage bill in favour of cheaper migrant labour is going to give two hoots about employing cheaper labour for its entertainment when it is offered?, i'm only surprised that it hasn't begun doing it sooner :scared:

Legislation is not the answer, all that this does is make it harder and more expensive for the honest joe to ply their trade, which in turn forces up end prices to the consumer which makes THEM more likely to shop around on price and be more apt to choose a lessor quote from a tradesman 'down the pub', thus driving up demand for the underground trades.

If you don't want to be undercut or replaced by a teenager then all I can suggest is that you follow a trade which requires training and qualifications, but trust me, even those have more than their fair share of problems from Polish workers etc. With the economy as screwed as it is, I don't think even a possible solution exists yet for ANY trade, until the current situation improves.

(* Unskilled trade, i'm refering to the fact that no qualifications nor indeed minimum age is required to persue a role and no courses or minimum GCSE requirements exist. Sadly talent is not a recognised qualification and so does not figure in the skilled / unskilled equation)

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

That's a bit of a drastic solution, if you don't mind me saying!! I do know how you feel though, I saw this situation coming two years ago, and the same is starting to happen with the venue lighting market right now. :damn: To be realistic, there's no way of stopping it happening, and I predict it will get worse before it gets better, but there are ways forward if you want to stay in the industry. You need to turn your strengths against their weaknesses, it's all down to marketing yourself properly. Try to promote the image of a 'experienced safe pair of hands' old enough to have the ability, yet young enough to still be in touch with what's happening. Have you considered promoting your own events? If you can bring a sizeable, free spending crowd in, in these cash strapped times, some venues are only too happy to provide a free room and a cut of the bar take, match this up with an eighteenth birthday party and you're on to a good little earner (much more than you would ever dare ask for) IMO it's a mistake to dwell on past glories, the world has moved on and you can't do anything about that. what you can do, is eveluate the current situation and formulate a business plan to deal with how things are now. Then put the same energy and enthuasiasm into that, as you did when you started the business the first time aroiund. Let the past go, but retain the experience.

i think that part of the problem is me. i look and see tom,dick and harry going for it and thing maybe i don't want to move with it! i have been busting my b*%ls for year learning and moving with the times and now i see boy and i mean boys jumping on the waggon becoming over night pro's

if your good then your good but theres no experience just a load of gear and a t%$$er with an ego the size of the venue he/she is playing.

and i dont think i can be bothered with the hassel of mopping up other peoples mistakes.

me,you and other proper dj's spend our time fighting to make people realise what we do because they have had a bad experience with another dj.

i will hold on to my stuff and see what happens in a couple of years. i have got incontact with the confirmed bookings i had and cleared it with them that i have provided another dj who i fully recomend and i trust fully. And they have all said its fine.

Duksey when i get chance i will get incontact if its better send me a message as i can get online all the time.

Maybe we need Sir Alan Sugar promoting the art of apprenticeships in entertainment as well as manufacturing. :D

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

now i see boy and i mean boys jumping on the waggon becoming over night pros

Many claim to be Pros few pull it off, most fall flat on their butt and are laughed at, there's a classic example of a delusional kid with a maplins special rig on one of the other forums at the moment

The sudden increase in the diversity of those DJ who now dry hire equipment direct to the general public, who didn't a few years ago also seems to quantify this somewhat.

Spot on, I dry hire kit because I refuse to take it on the road and compete with the £60 Sids, instead I concentrate on finding the bigger gigs that are out of the reach (equipment wise) of the kids and wannabes

Whilst other trades also have their share of cowboys and costcutters, it would be unlikely to find a 14, 15, 16 year old electrician or gas fitter, so I guess Dj'ing is a viable pocket money pastime for the 'spotty teenagers'

Unfortunately, becoming a DJ is seen as a glamorous occupation by most of the spotty oiks

Edited by disco4hire

New Site Clouds Disco

instead I concentrate on finding the bigger gigs that are out of the reach (equipment wise) of the kids and wannabes

So whats the difference in finding a more lucrative market out of the reach of oiks in the hire market, compared with doing exactly the same in the traditional DJ one?. Is it easier to dry hire to the top end market, rather than supply the traditional route.

Unfortunately, becoming a DJ is seen as a glamorous occupation by most of the spotty oiks

But from reading some posts (which shall we say are sometimes a little over-egged by a minority), its not difficult to see where they may get this idea from :D , are these perhaps part of the problem. If I went onto a forum and read of tales of potential earnings of £400 a gig for 5 hours of work, i'd probably want to become a part of it too, especially if I was of an impressional age and had £0 income. I'm not saying that (some!!) people are not earning this figures, but there seems to be more talk of actual earnings and little, if anything about all of the work and business / marketing effort which has to be put in to reach those levels.

Edited by McCardle

So whats the difference in finding a more lucrative market out of the reach of oiks in the hire market, compared with doing the same in the traditional DJ one?. Is it easier to dry hire to the top end market, rather than suppy the traditional route.

But from reading some posts (which shall we say are sometimes a little over-egged), its not difficult to see where they may get this idea from :D

I think you misunderstood me on this one, I started to dry hire into the cheap end of the market because I'm not prepared to work in competition to 'Sid' If I go out as a DJ these days, it's to a larger, better paying gig, usually requiring a greater level of kit than our friend 'Sid', possesses.

Regarding dry hire to the larger events, I do involve myself with this sector, pics of which I've posted recently, the clients here are usually fellow DJs, who, for whatever reason don't have sufficient kit themselves. Joe public generally doesn't ask for the 5K kit, and I wouldn't be keen on letting it out unsupervised either, the big stuff costs big bucks, as I'm sure you know.

New Site Clouds Disco

The way technology is going it will not be long until anyone can do this job with total ease...

Mp3 controllers/mixers are available from Maplin, PC-World - How long until they are available at Tescos, Argos and Asda?

Itunes - With every new release they are bringing more DJ functionality to the table - How long before they release Version 12 or whatever with full midi support and Dual soundcard support?

Lighting - Maplin lights are getting better (now with LED) - The prices of led lights will be dirt cheap in a few years and Cluster lasers will be available for around £100 new?

In a positive way it's good as there are many young lads out there who have dreamed of becoming a DJ - Keeps them of the streets etc and now (or soon) they can afford to do it.

In a negative way - As mentioned in thousands of threads in this forum - Tax dodging, full time and professional jocks loosing business.

With regards to talking about how professional and expensive and Top of the range your kit is - I don't think it matters anymore? 60th, Ruby Wedding, 21st - Do these punters notice or care that you have a 1K JBL Speaker system? Compared to a pair of £150 Maplin speakers?

Fair enough reliability is a major priority, but that aside I don't think the majority of punters know the difference and can hear any difference whatsoever.

Obviously there are certain gigs where this does matter and there are certain punters who do notice.. But not a lot?

Beer money Bob, Polish workers etc - Things are not going to change!! This is the UK!!

I have seen several mobile jocks in my area over the last year who seriously think they are "Gods Gift", they have been doing it for 20+ years, think they are miles better than anyone else and Ignorant. They moan a lot.

Things are not going to get any easier, get a reality check, stop thinking you are Gods DJ and start fighting back and coming up with some positive solutions rather than talking about the 70's & 80's and stop moaning.

Rant over.. Happy Easter! and Peace!!!!!!

oohh

i am not moaning about it i am telling you what its like for me. And as i said i carnt be bothered anymore clearing up other peoples edit! yeh i have more experience than some and im only young (25) so i think its time to get out of it before it gets worse!

how do you fight against something that is so wide spread. I totally understand there are dj's for every market i started off doing small gigs in village halls and tiny pubs and i did enjoy doing them i still do enjoy doing pubs. but the market is becoming to crowded at every level now.

i am not "gods gift" and i am not ignorant i am still learning this game after 13 years when i learn all there is to know about djing i will tell you "im gods gift"

so my rant is over!!

9) Do not substitute letters within vulgar/obscene/forbidden words with punctuation marks or other symbols. Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) parental software controls and School or Company networks still recognise many of the disguised words and may block access to the forum from their networks.

Edited by JimBoylan

Shipbuilders, Pottery Workers, Blacksmiths, Car Builders, Metal workers, HGV Drivers.....a 100 other trades

Lots of trades which had their hayday, peaked, and then nobody needs. I can't think of much worse (on a pride basis) than taking time to learn a skill, perhaps starting out as an apprentice and working your way up, then turning that skill to earn a living and to keep your family and then waking up one morning to find your skills are no longer needed because they either have all been sold out to cheaper labour or they simply no longer exist. But Stardusta makes a good point, it is happening everywhere and not just to us and throwing money into better equipment is not going to solve the issues or increase the value that SOME of the general public and landlords put on our service or indeed ANY service. I see exactly the same thing on 10 other forums all talking about 10 different trades. One forum thread ain't gonna change the state of the country or change attitudes but neither is turning the thread into a peanut gallery.

Lets hope Dj'ing isn't following the same path that 100's of other trades have trod, and that its only a temporary blip smile icon

Edited by McCardle

I've been toying with what to write on this thread - exactly what would sum up my own personal feelings on the subject rather than rely on Bull- :poo: , because the value of Bull- :poo: (like sterling) is pretty much worthless these days, so I'll be honest.

I have seen several mobile jocks in my area over the last year who seriously think they are "Gods Gift", they have been doing it for 20+ years, think they are miles better than anyone else and Ignorant.

I think you need to be a bit careful here. The fact that those to whom you refer to are still in business after 20 years is an accolade in itself that some should be using as an example to themselves. 5 years in this business is barely being born, after 10 you are still barely into puberty, whether any of those newbie's today will be still in the business after 12 months will be a challenge in itself - when they've been in it for 20 then they are in a position to judge others alike.

I read lots and lots about how professional some people are, I just wish the content of their posts occasionally gave that point some credibility.

AM.Entertainment, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of your original post was? 'IF' it was to provoke a round of "please don't give up" style backslapping with lots of members banding together to try and talk you around, then I guess you've been a little disappointed... if indeed that was the intention!

I honestly feel that the reason why that sort of solidarity hasn't been forthcoming is because quite frankly, I feel that a lot of people are either in the same boat or fear that they will be shortly. I have seen a lot of members talk of selling up, a few of them even have and many more are openly talking about diversity.

i have more experience than some and im only young (25) so i think its time to get out of it before it gets worse!

Yes, you are young, very young compared to some here. However I would say that I would give such a sweeping decision to quit some time before pulling the plug on it. We all have bad days, weeks and months, and gigs. Just make sure that this post is made for the right reasons and leaving the industry is a result of careful thought rather than a knee jerk to one single bad experience - because life has plenty more of those in reserve to throw at you as you get older.

Just my thoughts.

There are so many tangents we can take this thread on, so I'm just going to throw out some random thoughts:

I've seen 60 quid sid/djs with little experience/djs with cheap gear/part timers (delete as appropriate) put on much better shows and act more professional than expensive/very experienced djs/djs with "high end" gear/full-timers (delete as appropriate)

I charge less than the 'average' DJ on here but I've recently spent more time than usual trying to justify my fee to people who think I'm expensive and have been offered cheaper DJs.

There is so much doom and gloom being forced down our throats by the media at the minute that we are seeing negativity everywhere. If you take a moment to put things in perspective, you might see that things aren't as bleak as you think and/or if you can stick it out it might get better (after all, everything is cyclical).

I'm a DJ based in Northern Ireland with nearly 10 years' experience offering a range of services. Including club residencies, karaoke, pub quizzes, specialised wedding service, Master of Ceremonies, Compere, Night at the Races and much more.

I've had several attempts at replying to but scrapped the reply and started again.

Basically, nothing changes. Its been the same since cassettes were introduced and every budding DJ could copy his mates record collection and become a star overnight. The end of DJ'ing as a profession was predicted then :D

A bit of press about how easy it is for any budding DJ to get hold of a hard drive full of music and become a budding Pro DJ and the doom and gloom merchants are out in force prophesying the end of the mobile DJ industry as we know it.

I would say that most of the doom and gloom seems to come from pub/club/residency - perhaps why I don't get involved in that sort of thing (a good residency is like gold dust and I know a few have them).

I'm not going to get upset or waste mental energy fretting over what the £60 sids are doing. They have always been there and probably always will be. They fulfill a market need at the cheaper end of things and good luck to them. I know of a few that have started up with the mindset that "they know what music other people like" and then give up, demoralised, when they find out that other people don't like the same music as they do.

The "secrets" "of the work and business / marketing effort which has to be put in to reach" higher levels are all contained in this forum as its where I have learnt nearly everything that helped me move up the ladder.

Edited by TonyB

I have just reaf through and want to add my bit!!!

I can say that for those who are worried about alll the newbies getting into this game, dont be too worried..

being a professional is more than just the gear, its about being reliable and confident. Do these guys have any spares? No. Do they know what gets the older generation going? No. Do they have PAT tested gear? No. Do they have PLI? No. Do they have their own vehicle? Probably not. Website? No. Subs? No.

The fact is they probebly want to give it a try and earn some cash, fair enough but if you want to do well in this business the key (here in Cornwall) seems to be word of mouth and a good web presence. If you can communicate well with people, that makes you much better than anyone who is big headed & hopefully this will get you repeat bookings. For me, most of my work is private parties, but there is also a focus on doing regular nights as mentioned above- whereby there is a share of the takings. A DJ friend runs such a night on mondays and its amazing how busy it gets in there. I am hopefully going to be starting my own night soon & this will be in conjenction with the DJ i just mentioned (networking / co promiting)

I must say i do have a FT job at the moment & very reluctant to go full time as a DJ - but just arranged a 4 day week mon - thurs so im more availible for DJ work, seems like a good idea to me and I really believe that if i can become a really confident Mobile DJ I wont have to worry much about competition, because a decent DJ will stand the test of time & will get the better bookings due to their experience and reputation,

All Anthems Disco - Mobile Disco / DJ Hire - Cornwall

I can say that for those who are worried about alll the newbies getting into this game, dont be too worried..

We were all 'newbies' once, don't lets get on the bandwagon of alienating people from starting up (in the correct fashion) or tagging them into one nice little neat category. You & I both did our first gig somewhere, and so somebody gave us both a chance, don't deny that right or opportunity to somebody else, because non of us just dropped out of the belly of a spacecraft with 1000 gigs under our belt and 1000 happy customers, we all started from scratch and from gig #1

Besides the complaints i've seen usually relate to dispute between DJ's who have perhaps made some wrong choices about who to subcontract work out to, or pay each other in a timely manner and they are not newbies by any means. Other situations which appear from time to time also include the needless ones which could have been easily avoided had a contract or simple terms been written and issued to the client so where is the independant proof that newbies are the ones causing the ripples?. Running a business and the responsibilities which come bundled with it, isn't just about how much you charge, or playing music and buying flashy equipment, and some will never get that until it comes around and bites them on the ass. There is running a business and there is being a DJ, how many are accurately combining the two?.

The problem is not just the newbies who can bring the industry into disrepute, it includes a whole host of things, including playing the wrong music, being too loud and blinding your audience with lasers and choking them with smoke and assuming what the client wants all of the time without taking the time to ask when they book. Behaviour and attitude is also a key part to any customer focused industry and when I see posts bragging about attacking guests with microphone stands, being rude or squaring up to them I see exactly what is rotten about the industry. Do you think that this gives us a glowing reputation and a quality reference when read by the public? and how exactly does this make those who should know better look in the eyes of the newbies? in fact how does it make us ALL look?. Example setting?.

Then there are the 'Bertie big potatoes', those who come swaggering on, trying to play at being CEO's of large corporations. Well, those types of individuals don't have time to post on forums because they are too busy in the boardrooms or out doing business :D . They certainly ruin the illusion somewhat when those minorities go on some time later to quibble over a few quid to get pli or how they can skimp on a decent sound system or what to play at their FIRST wedding :rolleyes:

Can we please just be in the business that we are in and be proud of what we do, whatever stage it may be at.

Edited by McCardle

I quite agree. There's an accepted form of practice - good practice if you like, and bad practice. Choosing wisely helps! :rolleyes:

being a professional is more than just the gear, its about being reliable and confident. Do these guys have any spares? No. Do they know what gets the older generation going? No. Do they have PAT tested gear? No. Do they have PLI? No. Do they have their own vehicle? Probably not. Website? No. Subs? No.

and professionalism does not end at the keyboard either. Sadly, this is something that not everyone gets.

To add my thoughts...

I often see posts discussing price or dj'ing skills etc. You need to brush up on sales and marketing skills to have a chance of being sucessful.

The thing is if you want to be sucessfull then the DJ'ing is just a part of it, the important part is to realise that you are running a business and for the business to suceed you need to have a plan.

I'm not saying you need a big business plan to take to your bank for money but you should at least have an idea of what you are trying to get out of your business.

Where are you pitching yourself in the marketplace? (budget discos, weddings, corporates, high end?) Once you have decided this then plan your marketing accordingly. Even in a recession, there will still be people out there who will think that £500 is good value for a professional wedding disco. At the same time, some people will think that they should not be paying more than £150 for their birthday party at the village hall.

Who are your local competitors? What differenciates you from them?

How will you know that you will be sucessful this year? I for example have set my goal of earning £X over the year and have worked out that I need X discos at a X price to get there. If you don't do this then how will you know if you are doing well or not?

Perfecting your pitch

As I have worked in sales all of my life, I find it easy to sell my service to people but I know that others find this difficult. The best thing to do is to write down a few key benefits to your service then make sure you get the points across over the phone. There is nothing wrong with rehearsing this beforehand, although you need to be yourself.

Think about what the person booking you wants to find out, they are most likely not a dj and do not need to know what type of rig, lights, watts etc.. They need to know:

- that you are free on the date

- about the music collection you have

- that you have a professional sound and light rig

- any unique benefits / why they should book you

- your price

- what they would need to do to book you

I for example will normally tell people on the phone that I am not the cheapest DJ out there but if they are looking for a professional service and for someone that will give them a great party then they should book me. Then I don't really care if they go for £60 Sid because they were never the right customer for me anyway and I'm going for the customers with money to spend.

As I do this part time then I would rather just go out 2 weekends a month for £500 or £600 than 4 times for the same money. I would rather spend the time with my family unless it is worth my while, so I spend my time marketing for the better money discos.

Do you have a professional looking website?

Do you have a brochure that reflects your business in a professional manner that you can post or send as a pdf?

When somone books you, do you have a professional contract that gives peace of mind and at the same time gives you some cover?

Do you have a process in place to make sure you are organised with your bookings so there is no room for errors?

Do you follow up with customers before the event to give them the confidence that you will be turning up?

Think, if you were going to book a service from a company that was key to something you were planning, what would you look for?

Now if you have spent time perfecting the business side and you are proud of the business that you are running, why would you worry about £60 Sid? Surely when someone understands what you are offering above him there should be no comparison?

Why doesn't everyone shop at ASDA and LIDL? Surely businesses like Waitrose should be going bankrupt in a recession? With the same logic, everyone will be dressed head to toe in matalan because why would people pay more money for designer clothes? People will pay for the perceived quality and the level of service they will receive regardless of what the business or service is, full stop!

People are buying you and the service you provide and the DJ'ing is just part of it. If you feel that you are not worth much more than £60 Sid then this will be passed on to your customers when you are talking to them. Be confident, passionate and enthusiastic about the great service that you will offer someone and this will be passed on. In short, you have to sell yourself and your business in the same way that hundreds of thousands of other small businesses do every day!

I hope I am not coming across as patronising or teaching people to suck eggs here and I could go on for ever as I feel quite passionatly about this but the point is sales and marketing can be learn't. There are loads of great books out there and tons of information online.

Remember whether you do 2 discos a year or 100, you are running a business!!

Edited by aaadisco

Jose Saavedra

MJS EVENTS

Wedding Disco Specialists

Mobile: 07734 387 478

Email: mail@mjsevents.com

Web: http://www.mjsevents.com

PLI (£10m) & PAT Tested equipment

Member of the following associations:

Federation of Small Busineses & The Wedding DJ Association

i am not moaning about it i am telling you what its like for me. And as i said i carnt be bothered anymore clearing up other peoples s*!t! yeh i have more experience than some and im only young (25) so i think its time to get out of it before it gets worse!

how do you fight against something that is so wide spread. I totally understand there are dj's for every market i started off doing small gigs in village halls and tiny pubs and i did enjoy doing them i still do enjoy doing pubs. but the market is becoming to crowded at every level now.

i am not "gods gift" and i am not ignorant i am still learning this game after 13 years when i learn all there is to know about djing i will tell you "im gods gift"

so my rant is over!!

Sorry guys.. Not implying anything personal to anyone - especially to DJ's who have been doing this for years and have experience and the Knowledge - You guys have my greatest respect...

I just added what i have experienced personally from other DJ's seeing them and speaking to them in the flesh (i.e. Not forum DJ's)

It was just a little rant to add to the chat smile icon

oohh

I've been toying with what to write on this thread - exactly what would sum up my own personal feelings on the subject rather than rely on Bull- :poo: , because the value of Bull- :poo: (like sterling) is pretty much worthless these days, so I'll be honest.

I think you need to be a bit careful here. The fact that those to whom you refer to are still in business after 20 years is an accolade in itself that some should be using as an example to themselves. 5 years in this business is barely being born, after 10 you are still barely into puberty, whether any of those newbie's today will be still in the business after 12 months will be a challenge in itself - when they've been in it for 20 then they are in a position to judge others alike.

I read lots and lots about how professional some people are, I just wish the content of their posts occasionally gave that point some credibility.

AM.Entertainment, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of your original post was? 'IF' it was to provoke a round of "please don't give up" style backslapping with lots of members banding together to try and talk you around, then I guess you've been a little disappointed... if indeed that was the intention!

I honestly feel that the reason why that sort of solidarity hasn't been forthcoming is because quite frankly, I feel that a lot of people are either in the same boat or fear that they will be shortly. I have seen a lot of members talk of selling up, a few of them even have and many more are openly talking about diversity.

Yes, you are young, very young compared to some here. However I would say that I would give such a sweeping decision to quit some time before pulling the plug on it. We all have bad days, weeks and months, and gigs. Just make sure that this post is made for the right reasons and leaving the industry is a result of careful thought rather than a knee jerk to one single bad experience - because life has plenty more of those in reserve to throw at you as you get older.

Just my thoughts.

i have been looking at situation for a couple of years now! i haven't just got up and thought "im quitting" i dont need for people to tell me "please dont give up" this post wasn't about that! it was about what i have seen what i feel is the best thing to do is! (for me not you or any one else)

This is my personnal experience of the situation! Im still giving up even if people do say "dont give up its only a couple of bad gigs" the truth is i haven't had a couple of bad gigs i have had some really good ones!

the problem isn't the gigs, the problem is the wave of dj's hitting the industry hard!

and im taking a step back to watch it for a while and see what the out come will be! i really hope they make it and busted there (edited) like me you and 90% of other dj's because if they dont and there is a continual wave of over night fatboy slims the hard working dj's will be at 20%

just my opinion and i was telling you what i am doing about it! i dont want smoke blowing up my (edited) to make my head big!

9) Do not substitute letters within vulgar/obscene/forbidden words with punctuation marks or other symbols. Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) parental software controls and School or Company networks still recognise many of the disguised words and may block access to the forum from their networks.

Edited by JimBoylan