Dj's United

Hi,

The more I read the more confused I get,

I am about to start up a mobile disco, well it's Karaoke rather than disco, I only use discs not pc or laptop

and I have read that the licence is for changing format etc. So does this mean I do not need any form of licence.

Thanks guys I am sure you are getting fed up answering this one.

Eddie

Providing you only use original cds then you do not need a Pro-Dub License or any other sort of license. The whole area can be confusing for someone entering the business and the Pro-Dub website is not all too clear either. If you decide at any stage that you want to rip your cds onto a computer/laptop/hard drive and play them from there, then you will need the license.

I suspect it is becoming increasingly difficult to run a mobile disco without using some form of downloads now. Unless you are taking NOW albums only, how do you propose playing up to date music without downloads?

I suspect it is becoming increasingly difficult to run a mobile disco without using some form of downloads now. Unless you are taking NOW albums only, how do you propose playing up to date music without downloads?

From what I understand you dont need a licence for downloading music its if you format shift it?

Check out DJ@ web site they have some interesting articles on this and other matters relating to being a DJ.

Other than a few DJs on line talking about it no one else has ever mentioned it to me including some big hotels in London and even council run events who are more concurned about PLI which is not a legal requirement.

Nik

From what I understand you dont need a licence for downloading music its if you format shift it?

Check out DJ@ web site they have some interesting articles on this and other matters relating to being a DJ.

Other than a few DJs on line talking about it no one else has ever mentioned it to me including some big hotels in London and even council run events who are more concurned about PLI which is not a legal requirement.

Nik

OK then, if you download onto a laptop which you take to the gig - ok no license.

If you download and burn onto a CD = license required

OK then, if you download onto a laptop which you take to the gig - ok no license.

If you download and burn onto a CD = license required

well thats the thing as the DL sites say you are entitled to burn on copy to CD... But then that is for private use not to earn money from as we DJs do...

Hey I dont know I am just re gurgetating the stuff I have been told...

IMHO its a naff licence but where big money is concurned my opinion dont count for much....#

Nik

well thats the thing as the DL sites say you are entitled to burn on copy to CD... But then that is for private use not to earn money from as we DJs do...

Hey I dont know I am just re gurgetating the stuff I have been told...

IMHO its a naff licence but where big money is concurned my opinion dont count for much....#

Nik

That's my understanding Nik.

Someone correct us if we are talking rubbish :shrug:

Thats not strictly right. Here in the UK, there is no "fair use" rights (unlike the US). Consumers are not entitled to copy music for "back-up purposes".

What is happening, is that the publishers are not pursuing consumers on this.

As DJ's, we're seen to be profiting from changing the format (CD>MP3 etc) - so we're the easier target..

My thoughts are that they should also be targeting consumers IF they want to continue targeting DJ's.

Just 19% of people are aware that they break the law in the UK by copying a CD to their computer or iPod, according to the National Consumer Council (NCC), which wants to see a "fair use" right inserted in the country's "absurd" copyright laws.

The survey was carried out for the NCC by YouGov. It found that 55% of consumers copy their CDs to other devices. Most of us are unwitting infringers: three in five Britons think that copying for personal use is legal. Other countries – including the US and most of the EU – provide a right to reproduce copyrighted material for private use.

Source: http://www.out-law.com/page-6919

how long before people on the train with white earphones are stopped by the music police.........

Never ever no not ever because you would criminalise to large a percentage of the United Kingdom if that were to happen. In the big scheme of things DJs using format shifted music are a sizable minority and so its OK if you criminalise them...

For example what would happen if every driver decided that tomorrow they will speed through every speed camera they come across then all refused to pay the fine or send in their licence...

Nik