Dj's United

Hello.

After some advice please.

I've got a gig/rave to play at on may 23rd. I was going to take my vinyl as there will be decks set up but I broke a rib at football on sunday :( and now dont want to carry the weight - as it hurts :D . I've found out that someone is taking Serato SL1, so I can take MP3s instead.

Now, I have a Soundblaster Fatal1ty sound card (which is good) and my set up at home is such that my 1210s are plugged into the mixer (ecler nuo2), and the record out from the mixer goes into the line in on the sound card through RCA leads. Essentially I'll be recording them as WAV files, then chopping the silence off at the beginning at end, then saving as a 320kbps MP3. I've tried this before and recorded a decent copy - once - but then I did one the other day and the levels were set wrong so itsounded rubbish.

Does anyone have any advice on setting levels for recording? rules to follow? perhaps which software programs to use as I'm just usuing the sound recorder software that came with the soundcard.

Any advice at all, really appreciated!

Ta.

IF MODS SPOT THIS : PLEASE CAN YOU DELETE MY ACCOUNT AND POSTS.

The source sound levels for bass, mid and treble should be at zero for a slightly better recording, i.e. do not add extra bass, mid or treble to the recording.

The gain of the recording should not clip - i.e. not running into the red, so that the souce is loud enough to record but not over amplified.

However, the links in your set-up are more than just direct turntable-to-PC which would ideally deliver a better, cleaner recording and can be cleaned up with commercial software. The more links you add to your setup, the noise levels will increase!

I know that Nik Andrews can explain this better!

The source sound levels for bass, mid and treble should be at zero for a slightly better recording, i.e. do not add extra bass, mid or treble to the recording.

The gain of the recording should not clip - i.e. not running into the red, so that the souce is loud enough to record but not over amplified.

However, the links in your set-up are more than just direct turntable-to-PC which would ideally deliver a better, cleaner recording and can be cleaned up with commercial software. The more links you add to your setup, the noise levels will increase!

I know that Nik Andrews can explain this better!

Ahhhh ok, never thought of that. I guess I just run it through the mixer because the earth for the deck attaches to the back of the mixer.

Suppose I could just have the mixer on, and the deck earth to it, then run the RCA lead to the soundcard input. Sounds like a plan. Think I'll await what this Nik Andrews may hve to say before I give it another bash.

Thanks for the hints Dukesy!

Depends on the deck. I can't connect mine directly to the PC as it needs a pre amp. I have an old Realistic battery powered mixer that I have used in the past (being battery powered avoids earth loops and mains interference).

Other than that its just a case of playing with the levels until you get it right. Too high and the recording will distort, too low and you'll get background noise (usually hiss).

The software I used was RIP Vinyl http://www.ripvinyl.com/ - you can download a free demo but it costs £7.50 to buy a licence.

just get a mate to carry your records?

It'll be OK. I'm sure I can manage to get the recordings sorted. I'd rather turn up with a 16gb usb pen drive, than have the hassle of getting a mate to carry my records. Most of them will be carrying their own anyway.

I'll give the advice a bash this weekend. Cheers