Dj's United

If you're an owner of the latest version of OTSAV, in brief, what are the pros and cons?

I've owned the product for a few years but only this year did I start to invest the time to use it. That's because of the learning curve. Some say it is a big, steep curve but I don't think so. With hindsight, if you can understand the basic principles then you can start to use it with your existing MP3 collection. That is what I would suggest to any newbies.

Once you have learned the basics - setting up the program for your hardware and personal preferences, importing music, playlists, controlling the decks, etc. - you can move on to the more challenging aspects of the program and begin to work with Ots files where you can begin setting your mix points up, etc. If you want to keep going then there's the video and karaoke side of the software to learn about, too.

So, one con is the learning curve but the once you've learned the pro is using it.

Maybe the biggest downside to Ots is having to use Ots files to get the full functionality. Again, once you've done this the files start to shine, which is a huge pro.

Moving the licence is a pain, but at least they're not getting their program ripped off by limewire, etc.

The Ots Users forum is exceptional.

[insert quirky comment]

Pros -

All in one self contained Video, Karaoke, Audio player

Very stable and reliable once set up

Built in audio processor

Easy to use

Easy to add files, create playlists and set up a database.

Auto DJ

Can be totaly automated or totaly manuel depending on your needs and style.

will run a slide show when screens not being used for Video or Karaoke

It has a tiker tape for messages etc.

Can be used in old school mode or single fader operation.

Has an external line in so microphone or possably a CD player can run through the audio processor unit.

Good pitch and tempo shifting.

Cons-

Price.

You need to convert your files to Ots to get the best from it.

Reliant on Bill Gates.

I have used ots for many yeas and love it it is a very stable prog and well worth the £68 pound I paid for it with updates to 2.0 included I have since purchased a second licence for Helen and she loves it too, but not as much as she loves me...... Did I say were having a baby :D

Nik

As above plus I would add one of Ots biggest features is the search facility. You can have a total of 126 genres, also tracks can be assigned to more than one genre. You assign a release date and you can rate a track out of ten.

So as an example for a search you could ... 1980s & Rock & 125 - 135 bpm & rating over 8 .

This will give you all Rock tracks in the 1980s with bpms between 125 & 135 with a rating of 8 and above. Now I call that pretty neat! :D

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

Thanks for sharing.

Can the software use suffix search terms in all sections, such as in the title section '*love' for all tracks that contain the word love, or '*joel' for all tracks by Billy Joel in the artiste section, etc?

Can music videos be pitch shifted as you would an audio file, and (depending on the system spec) can more than two visual images be supported on the output screen?

Any screen shots appreciated.

Also, when using videos, can you place image files over the videos, such as a static image?

In practice, which graphic file formats does OTSAV support well when used as suggested above?

Are there any other file formats OTSAV supports, eg, can it load a text file for the ticker tape function, or are messages added on the fly within the software?

Thanks for sharing.

Can the software use suffix search terms in all sections, such as in the title section '*love' for all tracks that contain the word love, or '*joel' for all tracks by Billy Joel in the artiste section, etc?

Can music videos be pitch shifted as you would an audio file, and (depending on the system spec) can more than two visual images be supported on the output screen?

Also, when using videos, can you place image files over the videos, such as a static image?

In practice, which graphic file formats does OTSAV support well when used as suggested above?

Are there any other file formats OTSAV supports, eg, can it load a text file for the ticker tape function, or are messages added on the fly within the software?

Downloading the demo version would be the best way to find the answers, "hands on" is always the best way to find out.

Educating the young in the ways of the old

Downloading the demo version would be the best way to find the answers, "hands on" is always the best way to find out.

Sure, absolutely, but not an option at the moment.

Alternatively, go to the Ots Users forum. On there you will find an intelligent bunch of very helpful experienced DJ's from all over the world who use Ots. The forum is not affiliated with Ots so you can expect an honest and independent response. The forum does, however, have Ots personnel login and respond so if nobody can answer your question initially, the guys from Ots will join in.

I'd love to answer some of your questions, Dan, but I don't honestly know. I'm 99% sure about the search option you mentioned being available - Ots has the ability to search the database using standard search tools or you can use its very powerful Media Query Language. This isn't as scary as it sounds so don't be put off. eg. I want a rock or dance track that is not from the 80's can be searched using the phrase:

(Rock or Dance) and not 1980s

This in turn can be shortened to:

(Rock | Dance) & !1980s

A brief introduction to video, that may also answer some of your questions, can be found here.

Edited by BigBen

[insert quirky comment]

Thanks for sharing.

The search is context sencertive so if you searched for LOVE you would get all instances with that word in or any artist that has love in their name

Music vids are just the same as Audio tracks to OTs you can pitch beat mix scratch and even play them backwards. Other than the ticker tape that runs along the bottom you cant overlay any other images at this time.

You could cut and paste from a text file and update it on the fly if you wish.

Nik