Dj's United

Hi,

I've got an EGO X5 that's just stopped working, when pluged in the fan runs, but nothing else happens, the bulb is OK, so, does anyone know of a common fault with these lights that may cause this to happen?

New Site Clouds Disco

Just an idea, but I may be talking through my hat......

Have you tried reseting any of the DMX switches?

I had a laser that if any of the switches were 'knocked' it would appear to be dead.

Jim

Just an idea, but I may be talking through my hat......

Have you tried reseting any of the DMX switches?

I had a laser that if any of the switches were 'knocked' it would appear to be dead.

Jim

I'd not thought of that but unfortunatly it didn't sort it, thanks anyway

New Site Clouds Disco

I have an Ego 1 that is totally dead.

It is nothing that can be fixed, ie a bad cable, power supply or bulb. Its something that has blown on the main circuit board which is not fixable by any standard engineer. It would have to have a whole PCB replaced by Martin I'm told!

Might be a bin job or a "sell for spares" on ebay I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...

It's a problem across the whole Ego line unfortunately. I've got some 03's here as spares donors - unfortunately nothing seems to ever break on them apart from the boards!

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

Unfortunately the common fault with these units is the electronic transformer, and when they go wrong if it isn´t anything obvious such as the two 3 ohm resistors that feed the pulse transformer,and the main bridge rectifier, then it is a bin job. I have tried many times to fix switch mode PSU´s mostly unsucessfully.

If anyone wants to send me a broken sample I can take a look-see for no obligation, just send me a PM.

The circuit is similar to the self-destructing lamp board used in the EVL Spins, which dont pose me any major problems !

Kevin

I was told by someone who does Martin board repairs that it's a multilayer PCB and when one of the common faults occur, it takes out some of the internal tracks making it unrepairable.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

I expect that it is the usual case with SM power supplies where the fault takes out several components. The vast majority of "engineers" are only capable of repairing simple faults and replacing complete boards. When repairing switch mode power supplies, rather than just replacing on open circuit resistor or shorted rectifier it is always better to replace all the associated components.

I doubt that it will take one of the inner tracks out, it is more likely that they just don't want the agro of doing a repair when they can just charge for a new board.

If anybody wants to send me one I'll also take a look.

Jim

Multilayer boards do fail this way sometimes, though not often, we call it 'blooming' because the flashmark in the interlayer appears to 'bloom' when light is shone through the pcb. To be fair, when this happens, the component damage / burning visible on the smt is usually pretty drastic even to the untrained eye.

Edited by superstardeejay