Dj's United

hey gods

We've been asked to do a 20's night, and I'm just looking for a few suggestions!

I have both the Dreamboats and Petticoats albums, and loooads of glenn miller and bill hailey

but having researched, mr miller and mr hailey arnt that era!

what can you suggest?

i have a nifty little jive bunny mega mix, which is a good start lol

cheers!!

BIG Fish Discos

20's always make me think of the Charleston but it was known as the Jazz Era with Duke Ellington &

Louis Armstrong being very popular.

Fred Astaire, George Gershwin & Noel Coward are also well known names from that era.

A Google search came up with http://www.pastperfect.com/Era/1920s-Music/sc1690.aspx that has a selection of CD's with music from the 20's

Edited by TonyB

I can't really see the guests knowing all the dances from that era and wouldn't exactly be a bundle of fun if 20's music was all that was played all night :D

Well, its a murder mystery night. So i found loads of that 'era' ambient spooky music.

got a few good tracks tho, just lots of louis and glenn miller lol

BIG Fish Discos

hey gods

We've been asked to do a 20's night, and I'm just looking for a few suggestions!

I have both the Dreamboats and Petticoats albums, and loooads of glenn miller and bill hailey

but having researched, mr miller and mr hailey arnt that era!

what can you suggest?

i have a nifty little jive bunny mega mix, which is a good start lol

cheers!!

I'd be surprised if Jive Bunny has anything to do with the 1920's!

I had to do something similar a couple of years ago and bought some CDs of authentic 1920's music - Charleston, Black Bottom, Dixieland Jazz etc etc.

Have a look on Amazon. You'll find something appropriate.

I'd be surprised if Jive Bunny has anything to do with the 1920's!

I had to do something similar a couple of years ago and bought some CDs of authentic 1920's music - Charleston, Black Bottom, Dixieland Jazz etc etc.

Have a look on Amazon. You'll find something appropriate.

If there's a thought that 'Little Brown jug' - the Mastermix version is a 20's tune, it's not. More popular from the 40s onwards.

What has the 1920s music research revealed so far from search engines?

If there's a thought that 'Little Brown jug' - the Mastermix version is a 20's tune, it's not. More popular from the 40s onwards.

What has the 1920s music research revealed so far from search engines?

jive bunnys done a 20's mix, of which I randomly have! Lots of research has come up trumps with stuff such as 'the Charslton Chasers' 'hot air men' 'Mississippi maulers'. Also Louis Armstrongs early stuff, and Charlie Chaplin Reels! I had the Charlie Chaplin reels already for my clowning at kids partys!

gona raid the grandparents record and 8 track collection, see what i can salvage!!

what bit i have found on download, it now sounds like a flapper movie in my house!! lol

BIG Fish Discos

Ths is in my CD collection and it looks like its still available to purchase:

HITS OF 1920!

1. Whispering - Paul Whiteman

2. Japanese Sandman

3. Swanee - Al Jolson

4. I'll See You in C-U-B-A - Bill Murray

5. Alice Blue Gown - Irene Days

6. You'd Be Surprised - Eddie Cantor

7. Rose of Washington Sqaure/Jazz Babies' Ball - The Kentucky Serenaders

8. I'll Be With You in Apple Blossom Time - Henry Burr, Albert Campbell

9. St. Louis Blues - Marion Harris

10. After You Get What You Want, You Don't Want It - Van

11. When My Baby Smiles at Me - Ted Lewis & His Band

12. Love Nest - John Steel

13. Wait Till You Get Them Up in the Air, Boys - Bill Murray

14. Pretty Kitty Kelly - Charles Harrison

15. Saxophobia - Rudy Wiedoeft

16. Moon Shines on the Moonshine - Bert Williams

17. Avalon - Al Jolson

18. Oh! By Jingo! - Margaret Young

19. Let the Rest of the World Go By - Henry Burr, Albert Campbell

20. Dardanella - Ben Selvin Orchestra

Amazon

I'll have a look in the CD boxes and see what else I can find, however the artiste's above should give you an idea of the era, i.e. Al Jolson tracks:

* That Haunting Melodie (1911) (Jolson's first hit)

* Ragging the Baby to Sleep (1912)

* The Spaniard That Blighted My Life (1912)

* That Little German Band (1913)

* You Made Me Love You (1913)

* Back to the Carolina You Love (1914)

* Yaaka Hula Hickey Dula (1916)

* I Sent My Wife to the Thousand Isles (1916)

* I'm All Bound Round With the Mason Dixon Line (1918)

* Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody (1918)

* Tell That to the Marines (1919)

* I'll Say She Does (1919)

* I've Got My Captain Working for Me Now (1919)

* Swanee (1919)

* Avalon (1920)

* O-H-I-O (O-My! O!) (1921)

* April Showers (1921)

* Angel Child (1922)

* Coo Coo' (1922)

* Oogie Oogie Wa Wa (1922)

* That Wonderful Kid From Madrid (1922)

* Toot, Toot, Tootsie (1922)

* Juanita (1923)

In the first part of the 20th century, Al Jolson was without question the most popular performer on Broadway and in vaudeville. Show-business historians regard him as a legendary institution. Yet for all his success in live venues, Al Jolson is possibly best remembered today for his numerous recordings and for starring in The Jazz Singer (1927), the first nationally distributed feature film that included dialogue sequences as well as music and sound effects.

The film was produced by Warner Bros., using its revolutionary Vitaphone sound process. Vitaphone was originally intended for musical renditions, and The Jazz Singer follows this principle, with only the musical sequences using live sound recording. The moviegoers were electrified when the silent actions were interrupted periodically for a song sequence with real singing and sound. Jolson's dynamic voice, physical mannerisms, and charisma held the audience spellbound. "Everybody was mad for the talkies," said movie star Gregory Peck ... I remember 'The Jazz Singer,' when Al Jolson just burst into song, and there was a little bit of dialogue. And when he came out with 'Mammy,' and went down on his knees to his Mammy, it was just dynamite."

With Warner Bros., Al Jolson made his first "all-talking" picture, The Singing Fool (1928) — the story of a driven entertainer who insisted upon going on with the show even as his small son lay dying, and its signature tune, "Sonny Boy," became the first American record to sell one million copies.

The Jazz Singer is a 1927 American musical film. The first feature-length motion picture with synchronized dialogue sequences, its release heralded the commercial ascendance of the "talkies" and the decline of the silent film era.

Songs used:

* "My Gal Sal" (music and lyrics by Paul Dresser; dubbed by unknown singer with Bobby Gordon onscreen)[49]

* "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee" (music by Lewis F. Muir and lyrics by L. Wolfe Gilbert; dubbed by unknown singer with Bobby Gordon onscreen)[49]

* "Kol Nidre" (traditional; dubbed by Joseph Diskay with Warner Oland onscreen;[49] sung also by Al Jolson)

* "Dirty Hands, Dirty Face" (music by James V. Monaco and lyrics by Edgar Leslie and Grant Clarke; sung by Al Jolson)

* "Toot, Toot, Tootsie (Goo' Bye)" (music and lyrics by Gus Kahn, Ernie Erdman, and Dan Russo [title orthography and songwriting credits per original sheet music cover;[50] some other sources do not mention Russo and some also name either or both Ted Fio Rito and Robert A. King]; sung by Al Jolson)

* "Kaddish" (traditional; sung by Cantor Yossele Rosenblatt)

* "Blue Skies" (music and lyrics by Irving Berlin; sung by Al Jolson)

* "Mother of Mine, I Still Have You" (music by Louis Silvers and lyrics by Grant Clarke [Jolson also credited by some sources]; sung by Al Jolson)

* "My Mammy" (music by Walter Donaldson and lyrics by Sam M. Lewis and Joe Young; sung by Al Jolson)

Say It With Songs (1929) in an All-Talking musical drama motion picture which was released by Warner Bros.. The film starred Al Jolson and was a follow-up to his previous film, The Singing Fool (1928).

Songs used:

* "Used to You,"

* "Little Pal,"

* "I'm in Seventh Heaven,"

* "Why Can't You?"

* "One Sweet Kiss"

* "Little Pal"

* "I'm in Seventh Heaven."

* "I'm Ka-razy for You"

* "Back in Your Own Back Yard"

Mammy (1930) is an musical drama motion picture, with Technicolor sequences, which was released by Warner Brothers. The film starred Al Jolson and was a follow-up to his previous film, Say It With Songs (1929).

Songs used:

* "Let Me Sing and I'm Happy"

* "Here We Are"

* "Who Paid the Rent for Mrs. Rip Van Winkle?"

* "The Knights of the Road" (Missing on Surviving Prints)

* "The Call of the South" (Missing on Surviving Prints)

* "Yes, We Have No Bananas"

* "Miserere"

* "Looking At You Across the Breakfast Table"

* "In the Morning"

* "Why Do They All Take the Night Boat to Albany?"

* "Swanee River"

* "To My Mammy"