Dj's United

Tweeters Keep Failing

Hi can you help me please. I keep loosing my top end tweeters after approx 1 hr of playing. My first speaker sytem was bought brand new as a package which was two 15" bass bins and two 12" tops and amplifier. The second system this happened on was a DJ Tech Proffessional Cube 350 which has one 15" subwoofer with built in amp and mixer and two satalite spaekers. The same thing happened. Can you help me please. Thanks

Sounds as though you're pushing it too hard. The tweeters are often the first thing to go. Turn it down a bit!

Try adjusting the treble and master levels on the mixer as well, it sounds like you are pushing the speakers to the limit and over overdriving them.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

God, I'm gonna get shouted down here I think but simply buying some decent kit would help. From looking at the Cube setups on their website the best they appear to achieve is 90db (which I assume is with 1w@1m - although it does say max in some cases.....) That is unbelievably poor and no wonder you're wringing its neck to be heard.

Good sound (that lasts) usually costs a bit, but soon pays off when you're not replacing components every other gig.

I think there are some threads on here about why the sensitivity of a speaker is often a more important number than it's power handling - I suggest a good read.

It sounds like you also might be simply asking too much of the setup you have.

Question, do you use a mic, and do you suffer from feedback often?

edit: I couldn't find a Cube 350 anywhere but did find that virtually all of their mid/top cabs appear to use dome type tweeters. This is your weak point, and they are not generally used in PA applications. A good bullet or slot tweeter (or even a piezo) is far better but compression drivers are really the order of the day these days.

Edited by norty303

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

This will be down to clipping. Does your amp have clipping lights on it. If it does check to see if they're flashing when you push the volume up high.

Gotta agree with norty303, never heard of pro cabs using dome tweeters, except in low-powered background systems. Defo go for a cab with comp horns for quality & longevity!

Gotta agree with norty303, never heard of pro cabs using dome tweeters, except in low-powered background systems. Defo go for a cab with comp horns for quality & longevity!

I agree with all the above comments, but you now have these speakers and assuming that all the other sound output is ok, it may be worth your while just replacing the dome tweeters with , compression drivers, or piezeo tweeters with a 20 ohm 10 watt resistor in series (if you really want to save money) I suggest you look at the maplin.co.uk website or visit a local shop.

What size are the midrange drivers in the satellites? If they are smaller than 12" then I'd guess you could get away with bullets/slots.

Otherwise I'd say you need a 1" or 1.4" compression driver. The other consideration is how much do you want to spend? A pair of moderate compression drivers with horns is going to set you back about £100, and you may then also require passive crossovers (and an L-pad if the rest of the system is really that unsensitive) depending on how they are set up currently. For either option you're going to have to modify the cab.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum