Dj's United

ive got aload of old empty cabs sitting round so im going to get a few together and make some!

anyway my question is do i just get say a 16" or whatever driver and some type crosover??

if so do you have any links to what parts i need??? like from maplins etc :)

thanks

ive got aload of old empty cabs sitting round so im going to get a few together and make some!

anyway my question is do i just get say a 16" or whatever driver and some type crosover??

if so do you have any links to what parts i need??? like from maplins etc :)

thanks

A relatively simple way of converting your cabinets will be to get a copy of the Eminence cabinet design software. Once you input your cabinet dimensions it will tell you the optimum Eminence driver to suit your purpose.

If you need some passive crossovers go to somewhere like Terralec where you can also get advice.

I've never been to a Maplins shop but I get the impression they're not a retailer for pro DJ gear.

I believe the Eminence designer software is a stripped down version of BassBoxPro, quite a capable application. I'm not sure if it supports the incorporation of other manufacturers drivers but you may be limiting your choices if just going for Eminence.

WinISD is also a free application for calculating reflex and bandpass enclosures.

If you need components then I'd go somewhere like Blue Aran or Pro Audio Parts. I'm not a fan of filters in bass bins but if you want the simplicity then Eminence do a range that will probably fit the bill.

Probably best if you first of all find out what size drivers your cabs take and go from there. Dimensions are fairly fixed but ports should be able to be modified if need be.

If you post back with some sort of idea of budget for drivers/components and the box sizes (and ports) then I might be able to give you a shortlist of drivers that would work best and what might be better with some mods.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

thanks for the advice ....

i dont have a crossover system so im best using the built in filter arent i for optimal performance??

im pretty much running to a low budget, id be using 15" drivers.

I'm not sure i understand you.

Are you saying you already have some bass bins with filters already installed? In which case yes, you can use the filters fitted I suppose, as ong as they have the power handling for your intended use.

I'm not sure i understand you.

Are you saying you already have some bass bins with filters already installed? In which case yes, you can use the filters fitted I suppose, as ong as they have the power handling for your intended use.

no i have empty cabs so id need to put a built in filter for the bass instead of the driver trying to put out high & mid tones?

So, if the cabs are empty, what is the 'built in' filter you are referring to?

If its the one on the amp, these are 'usually' a high pass filter to cut out damaging low frequencies that the driver/cab combination is unable to produce. Some do have a low pass filter as well, but its not the norm.

If you are looking to put anything over 300w per cab then it may still be more economical to use an active crossover as you could spend £30 to £40 per cab on a passive filter/crossover network.

If you wanted to be able to pass through to some top cabs and have them filtered too then that would be more expensive again.

A cheap 2/3 way analogue crossover from Behringer is only about £80 and gives you much greater control and sound than with passives.

regarding your 'low budget', can you be a bit more specific? for a 15" bassbin I'd be looking to spend ~£80 per driver. Cheaper drivers than this tend to be limited on both power handling, sensitivity and xmax, 3 things that are vital for good bass performance. I was pricing up replacement 12" drivers for someone the other day after he blew some of Maplin's finest, and the difference in performance between a £50 driver and an £80 driver was phenomenal. If loaded right, Celestions new Truvox drivers can present good value for money.

Edited by norty303