Dj's United

Need To Either Buy Or Rent Equipment

For a 169 people wedding, I need some audio equipment. I generally go to 200 people parties so if I buy, I'd like equipment for that sort of size.

I have a few questions,

- What sort of price am I looking at renting for some decent sound, nothing too OTT.

- What sort of wattage for say 200 people?

- Passive or active, I understand the difference, but is there a best?

Thank you, really is appreciated! smile icon

Thanks!

For a 169 people wedding, I need some audio equipment. I generally go to 200 people parties so if I buy, I'd like equipment for that sort of size.

I have a few questions,

What sort of price am I looking at renting for some decent sound, nothing too OTT.

It all depends on what you need, and what you consider decent, ie do you need just the amp/speakers, or CD/MP3 players, mixer, radio mics, lights, and stands etc, etc. Taking a guess at what you need, £150 - £200 will probably sort you out with decent kit.

What sort of wattage for say 200 people?

Again as someone will probably point out, it's not the watts that matter, it's the spl achieved, however I'll answer your question in watts. As a quick rule of thumb allow 4 - 5 watt a person, so you're looking at 1.5 - 2K. IMO you are much better using a larger system at 60% output, that pushing a smaller system to its max, it will sound MUCH better, also the size/type/style of venue will have an impact on how much sound power you need.

Passive or active, I understand the difference, but is there a best?

Simple one to answer, if you're hiring, Active, if you're buying, it's down to personal choice. If my memory serves me correct, the last time we had a poll on here, it was about 25/75 in favour of actives

If you are in the Derbyshire/East Midlands area, feel free to give me a call if you need further advise.

Pete

New Site Clouds Disco

I would only say that if you are hiring then it would be better to "wet hire" ie,have someone set and stay with the system throughout the gig incase of any unforseen problems.

This takes away any pressure on yourself if problems do occur.

I also could help you out with a system to match your requirements if you wanted.

And for what it's worth my personal choice is always passive,it is far more versatile I.M.H.O.

Edited by Andy Dunn

OK, thank you all, really appreciated. :)

I've found a system 1500W for £120, is this a good price?

It's this:

1500 Watt Stereo Disco Package- 2 EV SX 300+2 Martin bass bins+EV amplifier.

Or for £20 more:

1500 Watt PA system- 2 EV SX 300+ 2 Martin bass bins+QSC 1450 Amplifier+A & H 16ch Mixing Desk+2 Shure SM58 Mic's.

Or £30 more:

2000 Watt Stereo Disco Package(2 Way Active Bi-Amp)-2 12'' EV SX 300+2 EV 15'' RX 118 bass bins+2 EV 1K Amplifiers+ EV Processor.

But it all depends, do I need the mixer?

Would it be better to have a mixer and two laptops running, one ready to step in at any time, or even just some different music ready to fade straight in, although I could do that with a 3.5mm splitter....

All three are just about in good price range, so what do you think?

Thank you, mucho appreciated. :)

What type of mixer will you be using,and once again whereabouts is this for.

Price wise,not bad but it may be worth letting other people qoute you for this job,you never know they may throw other bits in for you!

POIZN,just thought I would say that people on here are helpful and friendly.

Have tried there best to help you with your enquiries,are by and large are professionals at what they do,and also frequent other professional forums.

I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

What type of mixer will you be using,and once again whereabouts is this for.

Price wise,not bad but it may be worth letting other people qoute you for this job,you never know they may throw other bits in for you!

POIZN,just thought I would say that people on here are helpful and friendly.

Have tried there best to help you with your enquiries,are by and large are professionals at what they do,and also frequent other professional forums.

I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

OK, thanks.

No, I'm not really sure LOL, PM?

Orpington, Kent.

No idea what type of mixer TBH, have to hire that aswell.

Been quoted £151 for this:

1500 Watt PA system- 2 EV SX 300+ 2 Martin bass bins+QSC 1450 Amplifier+A & H 16ch Mixing Desk+2 Shure SM58 Mic's.

Is that good?

if you can get to buy "1500 Watt PA system- 2 EV SX 300+ 2 Martin bass bins+QSC 1450 Amplifier+A & H 16ch Mixing Desk+2 Shure SM58 Mic's." for £151 i'll have ten please :D

is this a hire price if so it still seems very cheap for the quality of gear

Edited by Robster
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Been quoted £151 for this:

Is that good?

I think that this may be a hire price if its not put me down for a truck load.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

of course its a hire price, the price is "OK"

Its an average price i would say, certainly not cheap

Theres a rather large local company to me who do the following for £150!!!

2 off Martin Audio Blackline F15 & 2 off Martin Audio S15 Bass speakers, 1 off C-Audio RA4001 amplifiers & Martin Audio M3 Controller (FOH), 1 off Lab.Gruppen fP2200 amplifier (Monitors), 4 off Martin Audio F12 Monitors, 16 channel Allen & Heath MixWizard

I generally go to 200 people parties

If you are doing more than a one off function would it not be better economy in the long run to actually buy your own equipment rather than keep hiring it. After all, ten hires at £151 a time is £1510 which would go a very long way to getting you an equiv sound system to the one that you are hiring.

The same figure would get you a very good quality second hand sound system and probably leave you change :D

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'