Dj's United

Whats The Best Way To Get Started?

Got all the gear, dual CD decks, mixer, speakers, lights amp. Bought a load of the NOW! CD's and just practicing in my room now.

I really wanna get out there and start earning money!

Whats the best way to get myself ready so i know i can do a party and not look like a complete idiot?

Please familiarise yourself with the forum code of contact http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17030

Post edited in accordance with:

9) Do not substitute letters within vulgar/obscene/forbidden words with punctuation marks or other symbols. Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) parental software controls and School or Company networks still recognise many of the disguised words and may block access to the forum from their networks.

Edited by TonyB

Ok - this topic is posted in the forum area - 'Getting Started' - so you're posting in the right place!!!

Look at the topics in the whole of this forum section here.

You'll see 'pinned' topics at the top of the page and the rest of the topics featured below.

There are over 25 pages to peruse!

The forum Knowledgebase is here. Full of articles and content to read about how to start a disco, marketing articles, technical advice, etc.

Off forum, there is free advice guide content to read / download (pdf files) from the DJ@ advice area here

Generally speaking, having essentials in place before you trade as a disco service make good sense.

Nobody desires a legal claim whether just starting out or when established as an experienced service, so rather than not protect your self, do look into the costs of insurance, liability insurance and any further business costs to help you run your service as smoothly as possible, e.g. driving insurance for business use

Public Liability is not a legal requirement but it makes sense to have cover in the event of a claim, as well as holding enough liability insurance to meet a venues requirement should you be booked privately for a function.

Like any other hire service, once you start handing out business cards, accepting bookings and accepting deposits - you're practically trading and thus carry responsibilities as a service provider.

There is lots of information about 'Starting Up' and operating a business service available online via the Business Link website here.

Websites are a key component and compliment to a business. Effectively, websites are low cost advertising - 24/7, and most importantly, portals of contact.

If you need help and advice about building a website for your disco service, there are plenty of experts on the forum! If you would like your disco website reviewed by your peers, please forward a request to a forum moderator.

Forum help files are available here.