Dj's United

Greetings all. Am looking at buying a pair of active cabs... Main reason is for ease of transport. I have a lot of church ceremonies to do this year.

Looking to go in and out instead of lugging my amps/controller about. Most church ceremonies am required for 40 mins so hence why I want a small pa.. I will also use them for back up cabs and additional if I need to sound another room out at a gig. I don't want to spend mega dollar but want a half decent sounding box.

I'm thinking along the lines of Mackie 350 or a second hand pair of RCF's?

Can anyone advise please.. Cheers.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

What about this little beaut Steve? Bose Compact

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

What about this little beaut Steve? Bose Compact

Absolutely no chance.!. I have 1 regret in life and that was buying that bose stuff....

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

what about the HK AUDIO Soundhouse One system

Or The

HK Lucas Smart PA

Edited by Raymilkybarkid

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

I find active gear an even bigger pain than non-powered gear, especially if you've got subs and tops.

4 set of signal cable, 4 sets of power cable instead of 1 main power line and 4 easy to handle speaker cables (or 2 x 4 core cables)

Powered gear is ok in some situations (DJ monitors) but not for others (floor monitors on a busy stage) imho

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

I find active gear an even bigger pain than non-powered gear, especially if you've got subs and tops.

4 set of signal cable, 4 sets of power cable instead of 1 main power line and 4 easy to handle speaker cables (or 2 x 4 core cables)

Powered gear is ok in some situations (DJ monitors) but not for others (floor monitors on a busy stage) imho

OK so use what I use a HK LUCAS system 1 powered box and 2 passives.One power lead and 3 amps built into the bass speaker.The tops feed out of the bass unit via speakon leads.Just 2 xlr leads from the mixer to the bass unit provide the signalAdvantages are lightweight ,less wiring and wheeled in in one lift.The clarity is great too.

Incidently I have one of these for sale.

Paul

Steve,

Would a powered mixer to drive your current tops be an alternitive?

If not, given you seem to change sound systems a lot over the years, buy somthing high now instead of having to upgrade later. There are a lot of good 10's out there now and a long as your realistic in what you expect from them they could be useful tools.

The RCF 310s have been talked about here before, FBT get good online reviews, JBL Eon G2 10s but if it's possible get a listen to the new QSC "K" series 10. If you search the US sound/dj boards the reviews are all excellent. The specs are good and if they what they say on the tin the money ain't all that bad. The only unknown at this stage will be reliabilty but until they are on the market a year or two this can't be addressed.

They are now available in the UK, I did a google search and came up with a few suppliers.

Good luck with your choice

John