Dj's United

Agghhh, Mp3's Jumping While Playing Songs. Help

Hi all

I recently bought a Toshiba Satelite Laptop. It's 6 months old. It is running windows Vista home, 250GB hard drive, 2 GB memory. The software is atomix, which I purposefully selected because it is old and the advertising on their site says it was written years ago and they have never had 1 technical issue with it and should be stable on even the slowest systems. Anybody got any suggestions why this is happening?

When I say jumping, what happens is.... The song simply stops and the Vista circle (replacement for Egg Timer) appears. Then it comes back on. It happens at random. Any ideas please ????

Cheers

Hi all

I recently bought a Toshiba Satelite Laptop. It's 6 months old. It is running windows Vista home, 250GB hard drive, 2 GB memory. The software is atomix, which I purposefully selected because it is old and the advertising on their site says it was written years ago and they have never had 1 technical issue with it and should be stable on even the slowest systems. Anybody got any suggestions why this is happening?

When I say jumping, what happens is.... The song simply stops and the Vista circle (replacement for Egg Timer) appears. Then it comes back on. It happens at random. Any ideas please ????

Cheers

Hi

I had a look at their site and although it says it is compatible with Windows, it doesn't say anywhere that it is compatible with Vista. Maybe have a look at the compatibility mode in Vista and set it to run Atomix as Windows XP, which would fit in better with the age of the Atomix software.

Matt

________

Matt McC

Good point. Another is that sometimes, programs running in the background / on the task bar can cause 'problems'. Ideally, the only program to have running / installed is the DJ software. I know others have scaled back on the screen savers / desktop photos in Vista, to free up more memory - even with 2gb of RAM! Vista apparently uses resources in the background - some of which can be disabled to cause no ill effect to the Operating System, but you have to know what you are doing or you could end up with a BIG problem, i.e. no system!

I wouldn't think it a major problem, but it has been rather hot of late.

If your music is all mp3, then the computer has to work to de-compress the mp3 files in order to play. If the DJ software can play .wav files, sure the files are bigger to store but the process of playing is quick and a lot easier for the computer to handle (less stress on the system in the heat!) plus you'll benefit from the sound quality - although my old ears hardly notice the difference to an mp3 at 320kps! :D

Let us know how you get on.

just a thought, i've never used atomix so I haven't got a clue if what i'm saying is relevant, but do you know if it uses it's own mp3 codecs?

If it's using ancient out of date codecs it can cause that issue in vista, i've seen a similar problem in other software.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

there are also many varieties of mp3

mp3 can be at different bit rates , different sample rates and also i have found that if you include album art on the mp3 sometimes this can stop them from being played on certain software.

I personally make sure my mp3's are 320kbps at 44.1 khz CBR (many will recommend VBR but thats what i use ) and then mp3 gained to 91dB with no album art and have clean tags by using various software.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

I would say its that its not compatable with vista.

me too , i think that's what the real problem is.

having a unified way of labelling, and type of file also helps rule out issues too and keeps everything neat and tidy.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26