Dj's United

I have been subscribing to CD Pool Hits & Radio now since mid December so have 15 discs = 300 tracks. I know exactly on what disc to find the majority of them but the odd track that doesn't get played much can cause a problem, especially when its busy.

I want to rip these discs to a pen drive in order that it can live on my keys, I can top it up each time a new disc arrives and when I am out I can plug it into the powered USB hub on the Denon and find tracks quickly via the keyboard. I would like a pen drive that will hold about 3,000+ tracks in order that one will last at least 4 or 5 years but I'm not sure how much space that will require...I would like to rip them at 320.

Will a 16GB be large enough? I can get one for £20 but then going larger is a pretty big jump in price.

100 tracks is somewhere between 800-900Mbytes a time, if encoding at 320k mp3 using lame encoder's insane mode (the highest quality setting).

For me that would work out about somewhere between 1600-1800 odd tracks on a 16Gb drive. (Don't forget overheads and that 16Gb tends to be overstated as 1000's of bytes, rather than what a propert Gb *should* be).

Obviously at lower quality settings you'd get more on there....

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

For me that would work out about somewhere between 1600-1800 odd tracks on a 16Gb drive. (Don't forget overheads and that 16Gb tends to be overstated as 1000's of bytes, rather than what a propert Gb *should* be).

<pendant>

16Gb? shurely you mean 16GB? :D

16Gb (Gigabit) = 2GB (GigaByte)

I've been caught with this at work (specifying flash memory for a product), supplier emailed"32Gb", I assumed that was GigaBytes, but clarified just before ordering lots of PCBs, and found they quoted Gigabits (not enough for our application)

I normally use longhand unless its not that important.

16Gb? shurely you mean 16GB? :D

16Gb (Gigabit) = 2GB (GigaByte)

I've been caught with this at work (specifying flash memory for a product), supplier emailed"32Gb", I assumed that was GigaBytes, but clarified just before ordering lots of PCBs, and found they quoted Gigabits (not enough for our application)

I normally use longhand unless its not that important.

Heh. Kilobytes are an oddball too - which is a lower-case k, the rest are all capitals..

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]