Dj's United

Was discussed a while back, but do you still incorporate a rope light into your disco set-up?

Has the rope light had its day, or is it still popular?

Can't remember the last time I used one, come to think of it I don't even own one.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Heh I did have one, I gave it away :D :D :D

Something for Christmas only maybe?

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I don't have one - but if I see one it does bring a smile to my face. I remember thinking they were "well cool" when my cousin ran a mobile rig in the early 80's :-) (together with his space invaders lightbox...)

I think its had its day - most look a bit untidy IMO and there LED bars can do the same kind of effect.

To be honest, there are worse DJ crimes, and if I went to a pub and saw a DJ with that kind of gear - I don't think it would make a difference.

In 15 or 20 years the LED light box will be old hat. I wonder what we'll be using then eh?.

Age isn't everything :D . You still see the par can in everyday use and they must be even older than ropelights yet rarely receive 'ageist' remarks :joe:

It is interesting that many modern variants are based on the humble ropelight. 'Duralite' is just one of them and is available in static or chasing versions and in rolls of 6m, 9m, 15m and even 45m.

Lots of venues and clubs use 'Duralite' in applications ranging from signs, exterior lighting, mood lighting, stair lighting as well as for general decor.

Ropelights are still around us in many forms, and modern versions like Duralite are pretty much identical to those humble beginnings, especially those with built in controllers.

Its far too easy to just get hung up on a name. Hear the word 'ropelight' and cheesy images of retro discos are conjured up. Talk 'Duralight' and nobody would give it a second thought, yet they are pretty much identical.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Age isn't everything :D . You still see the par can in everyday use and they must be even older than ropelights yet rarely receive 'ageist' remarks :joe:

Do PAR cans age though? The only thing that's really changed is that you can get LED versions of the same. Only now are they becoming affordable with the higher-quality/brigher LEDs

I love my par cans!

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Fuuny enough I bought a rope light about 3years ago for kids parties... Used it once and never again!

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

Do PAR cans age though?

I doubt they've found the secret of enternal youth :D

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Was discussed a while back, but do you still incorporate a rope light into your disco set-up?

Has the rope light had its day, or is it still popular?

Mybe it was me! I used one until about 3 years ago, when it stopped working. I have not replaced it since using led starcloths.

I like the led blue rope lights.

Mybe it was me! I used one until about 3 years ago, when it stopped working. I have not replaced it since using led starcloths.

And speaking from experience. Since changing the ropelight to an LED starcloth, do you enjoy a better lifestyle, workload and rate for your services than previously?

*cough*

tongue out icon :funjokeandlaugh: :msn-wink:

I would consider buying another to curl around the base of my speaker stands. I agree with McCardle on this one. Back in the 80's these were heavy thick items where a separate controller was required. They were also very expensive.

The modern ones tend to be 1 colour and are LED. I saw someone use 1 last christmas and I thought it looked quite good.

I would consider buying another to curl around the base of my speaker stands. I agree with McCardle on this one. Back in the 80's these were heavy thick items where a separate controller was required. They were also very expensive.

The modern ones tend to be 1 colour and are LED. I saw someone use 1 last christmas and I thought it looked quite good.

I am a dated old DJ so it don't matter.!!

Quite fancy one of those LED ones.How much better than the old ones??Anyone got one??