Dj's United

Hi all,

I have recently aquired a scanning laser to incorporate into my lighting set-up.

It all appears good - there is a glass lens over the laser aperture, and there is a key switch on the back and has forced air (fan) cooling, however I am hoping someone out there may be able to answer a couple of questions for me.........?

The laser in question is a GVG - 701 laser show system, made by GVG Disco Lighting. And what I would really like to know is:

1. The actual out put of the laser (it compares well against a 30mw machine and projects a long way) ?

2. Are spare keys available anywhere as it only came with one that has definitely seen better days ?

I have tried emailing the manufacturers but they appear "reluctant" to reply which is a bit frustrating.

As ever, any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Glenn.

Edited by glenn knights

Glenn Knights.

Mirage Moblile Disco

Wickham Market

Suffolk.

www.miragemobiledisco.co.uk

I think you mean GVG.

The laser is on this page and would appear to be a 30mW green.

It is very hard to say what the actual power is without using a special laser power meter, I have one but unfortunately I'm at the other end of the country in Manchester.

The key switch could easily be replaced for one available at places like Maplins.

Jim

GVG stopped selling lasers I believe due to the problems of meeting the EU regulations and the fact they were a simple importer and didn't really understand the specialities of the product.

Your easiest way of getting a new key is to change the keyswitch, the GVG ones that I had didn't last long anyway before breaking.

As for power, I had 2 of the GVG-717 which were rated at 100mW.

However, the lower powered one of the 2 (the dimmer one) has recently been metered at 240mW so the other is around 300mW (generously overpowered!)

These particular modules are by AiXiZ, not sure where yours may be from.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

As for power, I had 2 of the GVG-717 which were rated at 100mW.

However, the lower powered one of the 2 (the dimmer one) has recently been metered at 240mW so the other is around 300mW (generously overpowered!)

As for the power I would put money on it that the power reading that you got was including IR as the majority of imported lasers do not have IR filters.

What did you measure it with, as you mentioned elsewhere that you haven't got a meter?

Jim

Thanks Jim and Norty.

I did a bit more investigating after I posted my post (!) and turned up the same info - the internet works well when you spell things correctly..... :aa

I think I wiil replace the whole key switch as suggested - I am going to open it up to clean it anyway.

Thanks for the help,

Glenn.

Glenn Knights.

Mirage Moblile Disco

Wickham Market

Suffolk.

As for the power I would put money on it that the power reading that you got was including IR as the majority of imported lasers do not have IR filters.

What did you measure it with, as you mentioned elsewhere that you haven't got a meter?

I didn't measure it but the person who bought it did!

See the whole saga here...

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8278

I sold it as an 'under 60mW' laser head due to not knowing what it was (due to not having a meter as you correctly point out). Turned out it was doing a lot more.

The other 717 I have was quite a bit brighter than that one (it was a later incarnation of the projector) so I'm guessing over 300mW. This would appear to be borne out by the fact that it is only a little dimmer than my new Laserwave head which was measured at 414mW before shipping to me.

I think the evidence is fairly conclusive, even if only by comparison

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

I didn't measure it but the person who bought it did!

See the whole saga here...

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8278

I sold it as an 'under 60mW' laser head due to not knowing what it was (due to not having a meter as you correctly point out). Turned out it was doing a lot more.

The other 717 I have was quite a bit brighter than that one (it was a later incarnation of the projector) so I'm guessing over 300mW. This would appear to be borne out by the fact that it is only a little dimmer than my new Laserwave head which was measured at 414mW before shipping to me.

I think the evidence is fairly conclusive, even if only by comparison

I don't know if you have all the answers you want but this might help, disregard any posted power ratings for a DPSS laser diodes, thier output depends entirely on the psu for the doide and how much the Ma output is set for, you could line up 10 identical laser scanners and get 10 different readings, especially the Far eastern made units, each laser diode should be set to work below 80% of its maximum output but smetimes the psu is set wrong and they will run at upto 150% of their rated power, this however will reduce the diodes life span,,,,,a lot,,,,, bearing in mind that we ask the diodes to do a lot more than they are designed for, for instance the blue lasers have the same diode as bluray dvd players and these are set at 4-5Mw in the player yet we use them at upto 150Mw's. Blinking amazing really!!!

just some info for yah, cheers, Dave

I don't know if you have all the answers you want but this might help, disregard any posted power ratings for a DPSS laser diodes, thier output depends entirely on the psu for the doide and how much the Ma output is set for, you could line up 10 identical laser scanners and get 10 different readings, especially the Far eastern made units, each laser diode should be set to work below 80% of its maximum output but smetimes the psu is set wrong and they will run at upto 150% of their rated power, this however will reduce the diodes life span,,,,,a lot,,,,, bearing in mind that we ask the diodes to do a lot more than they are designed for,

Not quite correct I'm afraid.

In DPSS (Diode Pumped Solid State) the current is that of the pump diode, this diode is much more powerful than the output that you will get, for instance in a blue 473nm DPSS the pump diode will be several watts of 808nm (IR), the output then depends on the efficiency of the optics, the temperature of the cavity etc. The temperature makes a big difference too that is why you need to let the TEC stabalise before measuring the output.

The mW rating of lasers isn't the current consumption, it is the light output.

for instance the blue lasers have the same diode as bluray dvd players and these are set at 4-5Mw in the player yet we use them at upto 150Mw's. Blinking amazing really!!!

just some info for yah, cheers, Dave

The diodes in Blu Rays are not what are used in Blue lasers, Blu Ray diodes are 405nm diodes, Blue lasers are DPSS lasers.

The Blu Ray diodes are much closer to UV which is why when you use them the colour fluoresces with different colours.

Jim

Edited by Dream Catchers

Just for info (if anyone is really interested...?)

I have had a reply from GVG who state that the laser effect in question is actually a 40mw machine and not 30 as stated on the web site.

Confused now, I guess I will never find out for sure......... still, I like it and it will do for now.

Thanks for the input, people,

Glenn.

Glenn Knights.

Mirage Moblile Disco

Wickham Market

Suffolk.