Dj's United

Resamping Mp3s To Lower Bit Rate

Ok - before anyone mentions.. "I know it will mean lower quality than a fresh rip". :D

However, I wanted to re-sample my MP3's, so I could listen to them at work, its also handy to fit more onto a memory stick/small mp3 player for personal listening.

It currently encodes to 128kbps, variable bit-rate, and is over 1/2 the file size of the normal 320kbps files.

Using Opera Ignite (google for details), I can stream my music to my desktop PC in the office.

I wrote this a few months ago, but thought it may be worth passing around.

I couldn't find a decent tool to do this; CDex will, but it would only do it manually per folder - as far as I could tell anyway, and the other tools I looked at would not recursively do a batch recode..

To that end, I coded a quick script to take a root folder of music, and re-encode to a different folder.

Currently, it doesn't keep the ID3 tags, which isn't a big issue for my needs, but I'll look into preserving these somehow.

The ID3 tags are lost, as LAME (the MP3 de/encoder library) is not retaining them.

It does take ages to run (hours/days), but once complete, it won't over-write any existing files in the target folder. Its only a single-threaded script, so you can minimise the window and work as normal.

If anyone thinks this is of interest, reply and I'll .zip it up.

Cheers,

Jason

TuneBite would have done the job for you, bit late now I suspect though. :shrug:

I did look around at the time, not wanting to re-invent the wheel etc :wall: ..

I didn't see/try TuneBite (I was looking at opensource/freeware), but the others didn't appear to scan down folders- ie, only work on a single folder.

I'll look at TuneBite, I think they have a trial. It would be good to preserve ID3 tags (although I could extract/insert via another library..)

Thanks for the info - I should have asked before jumping in with code.