Dj's United

Do You Let Bands Use Your Speakers?

Have a wedding booked.

3 months later brides mother asks me if her son who is in a band can plug into my active speakers.

i am not too keen on this even though it will only be used for vocals.

Any views?

Are your speakers any good for vocals, or will they make the singer sound :crap: :lol:

I'd speak to the guy before the day - let him chase you up with some more info.

It's your choice at the end of the day mate. If there is little room for you and the band, it might make a lot of difference. Don't take the blame for anything if you're helping out though! :D

I've allowed this several times without any misfortune. Although i'd use a passive system on such an occasion to allow me to keep a tight reign on the volume control and the master fader close by :scared:

As a lot of DJ's also dry hire equipment, surely being with, and in control of the gear as in this example is more preferable in any case?. I'd say the dangers of damage from unsupervised dry hire were much greater.

If you are concerned, you could always agree a returnable deposit, to be retained if the speakers were damaged solely during or as a result of her son's performance. You could dress it up as having to be subject to the same terms as your hire policies, and to cover your equipment insurance excess if she questioned it.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

yes I do but I charge for the use of them as the band is already getting paid for their service.

In the last 15 years I have only had 1 band refuse to pay.

Never had any problems.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

It's the brides brothers band who are doing it for free.

I use Mackie SRM 450's so the vocalist could plug straight into the Mackie, but bands are alot louder than discos, therefore I am not keen on this!

They can't be bothered to cart it from London to Suffolk

Nice!. :rolleyes: Well, at least they are honest.

I've done freebies for family and friends too, I wonder what would have happened if I couldn't be bothered to take my gear on those occasions too. :shrug:

probably would have been very quiet and restful :lol:

I wonder what else they'll be economising on and cutting back for this freebie?.....lyrics perhaps?. Maybe it'll be a set full of instrumentals. :ads:

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Treat the vocals as a sound source, and limit / control the input. Simples.

But if you're really aganst the idea, then just decline if you're worried about blowing your speakers!!! smile icon

I've let a wedding singer plug into my system for his vocals, he had his backing track (minidisc) and guitar going through his own kit though.

His speakers were on the floor where my speakers where on stands.

No problems though.

Jim

your mackies are beter designed for vocals than they are for Disco purposes, so why not?

How are they going to plug in? Do they have a Desk? Or are they expecting to plug a mic into your mixer, if so, do they not need reverb/echo or similar effects?

I think they want to plug their desk in. Is that ok?

you could get their desk plugged through yours - then you have ultimate control.

Or just say your insurance doesnt cover it

or ask to see their insurance covering your speakers......

seems strange a band cant bring a speaker..... bet they have a large drum kit though

• 5 weeks later...

Ordinarily I would be wary of anyone else going through my system especially since I use an HK Audio 3 box set for small to medium gigs.

I was using it a couple of weeks ago at a wedding where a band was also booked.

I set up and tested in the morning and returned at the allotted time to find the band were still bringing in their gear. Consequently the first dance was put back 30 minutes.

20 minutes later, after a lot of swapping leads, mics etc. the band came to the conclusion that their hired PA wasn't working and the bass guitarist asked if their vocalist could go through my system.

Other considerations apart, we were set up quite a way from each other so that wouldn't have been practical and I wasn't prepared to lend them my Trantec radio mic. to overcome that problem.

I offered to lend them a Crown amp. That made no difference so I lent them a pair of FBT speakers as well and that did the trick. So I had to lend them a complete PA!

I really do not like other people using my gear but it's just as well that I carry a complete back-up set. If I hadn't done that the band would not have been able to go on.

What would you have done in similar circumstances?

Ordinarily I would be wary of anyone else going through my system especially since I use an HK Audio 3 box set for small to medium gigs.

I set up and tested in the morning and returned at the allotted time to find the band were still bringing in their gear. Consequently the first dance was put back 30 minutes.

20 minutes later, after a lot of swapping leads, mics etc. the band came to the conclusion that their hired PA wasn't working and the bass guitarist asked if their vocalist could go through my system.

Other considerations apart, we were set up quite a way from each other so that wouldn't have been practical and I wasn't prepared to lend them my Trantec radio mic. to overcome that problem.

I offered to lend them a Crown amp. That made no difference so I lent them a pair of FBT speakers as well and that did the trick. So I had to lend them a complete PA!

I really do not like other people using my gear but it's just as well that I carry a complete back-up set. If I hadn't done that the band would not have been able to go on.

I don't like others using my gear, only in an emergency as described by Spinner

They can't be bothered to cart it from London to Suffolk

Well then I wouldn't be bothered to lend them my rig.

Don't think I'd do it anyway. Certainly not without some kind of limiter.

In this instance I think you should have charged them a nominal fee for kit hire.

You made it possible fro them to earn that evening with equipment you had had to pay for.

I dont mind helping any one out but there is a point when you feel your being taken for a ride.

Nik

In this instance I think you should have charged them a nominal fee for kit hire.

You made it possible fro them to earn that evening with equipment you had had to pay for.

I dont mind helping any one out but there is a point when you feel your being taken for a ride.

Nik

Fair point.

Nik

They were friends of the B&G, not a pro group (that was pretty obvious in the way they handled some of their gear) and were not being paid.

They offered to buy me drinks all night and helped me out with my gear at the end of the evening.

In the circumstances - and only in these circumstances - I think it would have been churlish of me to ask for payment.

They were friends of the B&G, not a pro group (that was pretty obvious in the way they handled some of their gear) and were not being paid.

They offered to buy me drinks all night and helped me out with my gear at the end of the evening.

In the circumstances - and only in these circumstances - I think it would have been churlish of me to ask for payment.

Yes I agree and would have done the same... :Thumbup:

Nik

No! .... I wouldn't let anybody near my Bose.

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.