Dj's United

Have You Seen The Local Rate Increase?

Back in 2005, some DJ members said their *local rate was £100. Has this 'rate' increased or stayed the same?

*Typical booking 7.30 - midnight.

Due to the downturn which started affecting this area in the last quarter of 2008, I decided to postpone the usual annual planned increase that I had planned for 2009 (well, postponing bad news works for the Government), and so i'm still effectively charging 2008 prices.

That said, i've not succombed to reducing my prices and refuse to barter or even entertain clients who clearly only have a budget of about 1/3 to 1/2 of my normal rate.

'Locally' (which here is a 60 mile area!) I'm not the cheapest or the most expensive and prefer the term upper-midrange (lol).

Yes, being this stubbon has resulted in the loss of a few bookings, but I don't get any favours from the Government, Inland Revenue or Texaco so there is a limit to what I can work for before I become a charity and lets face it, if thats what you want - there are plenty of good causes that you can work for which require less effort and investment in equipment and retain your social life.

Although 2009 has been the worst on record, 2010 is looking pretty positive, and i've already started a thread a few days back, stating that although clients are quibbling about price on their 2009 bookings, amazingly they are snapping them up for those booked in 2010 :shrug: and i've had a 100% success rate so far, compared to about a 20% take up rate for 2009 enquiries. Same price, same locations, same marketing.

Add these recent developments plus some bookings which were moved from 2009 to 2010, and already the workload for next year is about 300% more busier than 2009 was looking this time last year.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Yep there are Sid's out there. I fact I met one the other week. His gear was was as rusty as hell and the sound was like a fart in a jam jar.

Edited by Norfolk DJ

The problem begins, when Sid is still around in five years time, and has not been put of of business because of his bad reputation, hasn't been prosecuted for not having a pro-dub license, isn't serving 6 months for tax evasion, hasn't been refused entry to venues because he doesn't have PLI and hasn't electrocuted somebody with his non PAT tested equipment.

If they are still around years later (and I already have refered to one such example more than once) then there is no obvious alternative or explanation but to accept that there obviously is a place in society for them, a market for the service they provide and the fact that some of the general public just don't seem to share the same negative and widespread opinion of them, as 'us DJ's'

Otherwise they wouldn't be here 'next week' or the next, or the next, and we wouldn't consider them much of a threat or give them so much publicity, because they won't be around long....will they?.

Sadly their entire devil-may-care attitude and streamlined business model unfortunately may mean that just like the Ants in a nuclear war, they may be the last to vanish as other honest businesses fall by the wayside.

Edited by McCardle

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

i know of a few local DJ's who have pretty good kit and are good DJ's, but they dont DJ for a living, they DJ because they enjoy it.

One has JBL Eon Tops, JBL Eon Subs, nice goalpost and some really nice lights (nicer than what i use)

Yet they charge £100 for doing pub gigs. Why? Because they enjoy it. Theyd much rather do a Pub where they know everyone, where they can have a few beers and where there is no pressure and they can enjoy themselves.

You have to look at peoples motivation for doing Disco's, for many, its not about Money!

You have to look at peoples motivation for doing Disco's, for many, its not about Money!

Totally agree.

But my perspective / opinion - we're not talking about kids who are not motivated by money, doing the weekly disco down the community centre for a bag of Wotsits and a Tizer because they just :heartlove: DJ'ing and wear a smile! smile icon

When a 'DJ' accepts a payment from the landlord or bar manager, it's essentially for their service: their time, their expertise. Whether they enjoy it or not, are aged 18 or 65+, they are paid to work for a reason! I have no doubt that these very same 'DJs' will pass on business cards too. And as McCardle says, the problem begins, when 'Sid' is still around in five years time, etc, etc, etc.

........... as McCardle says, the problem begins, when 'Sid' is still around in five years time, etc, etc, etc.

What sort of work are 60 Quid Sids likely to be doing and causing a problem for professional DJ's?

What sort of work are 60 Quid Sids likely to be doing and causing a problem for professional DJ's?

None. I've been getting more and more quotes recently for the upper end of the market in venues like Abbeys and Lodges. DJ Sid McMaplins is never going to get in with these people.

Very true and therein lies a significant percentage of the problem, playing music to your friends, or an appreciative crowd who enjoy the same stuff as yourself, is fun, and doesn't resemble 'real' work. I dare say they're a few young DJs on this forum, who, if offered an appearance in a top city centre nightclub would do it for a pittance, or even for free. the glory being the reward.

Another significant factor, and probably the most controversal, is it doesn't require much in the terms of cash investment or technical ability to become a party DJ, a decent set up can cost less than £1K off eBay. Even more controversal, if you have a interest in, and a good knowledge of popular music (many have), and you are a 'people person' with the confidence to speak in public (many are), you're well down the road to being a credible DJ. If you have the basic qualities, it's not difficult to be a mobile DJ, the hardest bit's probably passing the driving test.

Before I upset too many people, I'm referring to 'entry level' party DJ'ing, I do think there are loads of additional skills to master before anyone can justifiably claim to be a professional DJ, i.e. etiquette at a set piece wedding, developing the gravitas to be taken seriously at a formal occasion, the ability to deal with difficult guests without drama, getting a difficult crowd into party mood, etc etc.

I think 'us DJs' judge the performance of a fellow DJ by significantly harsher standards than most client do, I've been a guest at functions, where I thought the DJs performance was pants, but other guests including the client appreciated the guys performance, and ultimately they are the paymasters.

New Site Clouds Disco

None. I've been getting more and more quotes recently for the upper end of the market in venues like Abbeys and Lodges. DJ Sid McMaplins is never going to get in with these people.

Precisely.

It depends how you define £60 Sid, if he's a spotty kid with cheap nasty kit and little idea of what most people want to hear, you are probably right.

If you define £60 Sid as a DJ who supplies his services for significantly less than the market rate, you are very wrong. There are many of these £60 Sids out there with better kit than you, playing in better venues than you, and with no disrespect to yourselves, doing just as good a job, or better. Some are hobbyists, some are friends of the venue owners or the organisers, some do it and only charge sufficient to cover their expenses. there's a thousand and one reasons why. I don't always understand their motives, personally I want to be paid well for my efforts, but these people are very real, and out there working every week at gigs you would like. They are content with their lot, their clients are very happy with the bill, and the situation is not going to change for the better anytime soon, however much we may want it to. There's also nothing we can do about it. other than to up our own game and give the clients a reason to hire us, over the competition.

Edited by disco4hire

New Site Clouds Disco

That is exactly what I am trying to ascertain, but he is gaining in popularity because he seems to be getting mentioned more and more.

I agree entirely, but whether you do it for love, charity or profit the expenses and basic costs are still the same as is having money in the business account for these little emergencies and those unexpected expenses, like replacing equipment and other things - because you never know when a bill is going to drop through the door or what unexpected costs are just around the corner Oh!, like this one!

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25114

and as for other expenses and liabilities, well its not only pro-dub who currently have an interest in DJ's.

Edited by McCardle

I've received two enquiries this morning alone from ‘DJs’ who were requiring PLI urgently, not for wedding venues or village hall venue requirements, but top venues

When the enquirer says they've never heard of PLI before, and then whinge that they can't afford to make a one off payment, but they desperately need "this PLI thingy" in order to work residency in a Marriot 5 star hotel or to perform in The Berkeley Hotel in Knightsbridge, perhaps people will begin to appreciate that 'upper end of the market' venues are not in the slightest bit bothered whether the performing DJ has 10, 15 or 20+ years experience. So long as the venue has the correct paperwork in place is all they care about!

Enquiries such as these happen frequently.

If you define £60 Sid as a DJ who supplies his services for significantly less than the market rate, you are very wrong. There are many of these £60 Sids out there with better kit than you, playing in better venues than you, and with no disrespect to yourselves, doing just as good a job, or better.

Can you give some examples of these "better venues" please?

If you define £60 Sid as a DJ who supplies his services for significantly less than the market rate, you are very wrong. There are many of these £60 Sids out there with better kit than you, playing in better venues than you, and with no disrespect to yourselves, doing just as good a job, or better.

Fair Comment, although I've no idea how they would be funding the investment in this better equipment on what is actually less than JSA payments. Maybe the laws of math are different when you move in those circles, or they aren't operating in your area because if 'sid' was as much as a problem as everybody keeps hinting then it wouldn't be just the Dj's directly affected and I don't see how a dry hire market could continue to grow in an environment where quality Dj's are are out there en masse 'doing just as good a job' and owning better than average gear and offering the complete mobile dj experience for £60 a night.

In this situation clients would be booking 'Sid' rather than hiring equipment only (because its cheaper), and there would be few other Dj's left to hire to either, as several 'sids' would have put them all out of business by now. Sid could never afford to hire equipment in either, as the hire cost would be significantly more than he's charging.....

Edited by McCardle

But don’t many DJ agencies already do this? Perhaps when this happens, the term ‘£60 Sid’ should be re-phrased to “IOU £60 quid Sid”?! :lol:

http://www.moviemarket.com/library/photos/172/172901.jpg