Dj's United

Do You Pay To Advertise?

Just looking around the net and noticed that some DJs have now started using E-bay to market their business.

Do you pay for advertising?

Does it work?

Have you tried ebay?

What do you think of free lisitngs?

Can any of the above help with page rankings?

Nik

I've received leads from Goodparty but there is no listing feature I'm aware of, but I could be wrong!

Had a listing on UK Disco once but not a great success rate for website PR. I've had experience with Yell / Yellow pages a long while back - I dropped them like a hot potato. Long story.

I haven't thought about ebay really. Do they offer free auction listings then?! :D

I've received leads from Goodparty but there is no listing feature I'm aware of, but I could be wrong!

Had a listing on UK Disco once but not a great success rate for website PR. I've had experience with Yell / Yellow pages a long while back - I dropped them like a hot potato. Long story.

I haven't thought about ebay really. Do they offer free auction listings then?! :D

I dont think they do, but I could be wrong.... Lets be honest there aint much free in this day and age...

Nik

Just looking around the net and noticed that some DJs have now started using E-bay to market their business.

Does it work?

Have you tried ebay?

Nik

Hi Nik,

I must admit to trying this, and also GumTree. No traffic from either (from my server logs).

Waste of money IMO.

I also tried Google Adwords - also no good results, but those with a nice site may do better - Nik;your new site looks nice and fresh and would do better than my tired old look!

I paid for a Silver UK-Disco subscription last year - no traffic. (I was 2/3rd down the page for Hertfordshire, no one would see the link..)

I assisted a local business directory with some database coding, and received a high profile listing, I have received traffic from their site, as to the quality of traffic - its more difficult to determine.

From my experience, Organic growth works best. So inbound links from relevant "authority" sites (such as DJU!) will certainly help.

The new "Blatant Adversing" section should be taken up by all DJs -its free and on an "authority" site. Just try to provide original copy for your advert (ie, not directly taken off your site).

Directory sites do not work. No one clicks on them, and the SEO value is non-existent.

I've thought about proposing a link exchange here. Whilst we probably won't want to list local "competitors" - even if getting to know them is good business practice and worthy of the odd meet up.

I would have no problems linking to DJ's outside of my area. The problem is that a direct link swap isn't the most effective tactic.

Work has taken a hit this year as i've mentioned, more than once. But currently all of the work pouring in (thankfully) for 2010 continues to be from word of mouth as it has been for countless years.

I've lost a lot of faith in directories and such, because I honestly don't feel that they exist to represent our interests and industry as much as they say that they do :rolleyes: . This point has been proven to me more than once in many ways and was actually validated to me again more recently, when I saw a well known and much heralded directory still advertising a well known Agent who is a Bankrupt and has had national media coverage in the Daily Mail and Equity for knowingly ripping off DJ's and other artists.

I really couldn't pay money to list / use any site which was still publicising somebody who makes a living from ripping off entertainers and in some ways insulting them by listing this same individual alongside those very people whom they were ripping off by not paying them for services they provided.

But I guess money always rules above morals eh?.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I've had one successful lead from UK Disco. It was a last minute booking (came via the site to my holding page!).

I'd love to advertise in the "blatent section", but need to sort my site out first. - Which I'm going to be meeting a designer next week and see what she can come up with...

Cheers

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

You can put contact details in the Blatant Ads post.

If you spend a bit of time on the post, with formatting, pictures and a nice banner it can be as effective as a web page.

All for free too.

Jim

I'd suggest still linking to a holding page, the advert cannot be edited after submission and if you've paid for a nice site - you'll want the advert to link to it.

Suggest adding basic contact details (and a few keywords) onto the holding page until the site is complete.

You may pick up some passing traffic, and it should only take 5mins to create a text-only page.

Jason

Yes

Does it work?

Yes

Have you tried ebay?

No

Can work sometimes. I picked up a wedding from a UK Disco listing a week ago.

Probably

Nik

You can put contact details in the Blatant Ads post.

If you spend a bit of time on the post, with formatting, pictures and a nice banner it can be as effective as a web page.

All for free too.

Jim

Yes, but that requires a bit of creativity and marketing in order to sell yourself and doesn't just rely on paying some money, filling in some blank fields or multiple choice options and then uploading a pli certificate in order to list. I suspect that explains the slow uptake.

Its quite funny really, as an ex-moderator we were constantly telling people not to make their signatures too big nor spam their links or business in threads or ask other members to go and look at their 'new' website without first getting it into a queue to be reviewed properly in the correct area. Now we are in the middle of a recession and the option exists to write and publicise your business and website in as many words and with as much creativity as you like, complete with a link, photos and banners and no bugger is interested.

Edited by McCardle

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

i hav'nt advertized for at least 3 to 4 years for any private bookings but still get at least 2 to 3 month enquirys just with word of mouth ???

im currently fully booked with ressys 6 nights a week and have no intrest in taking private work on but will always arrange someone to fill the booking and touch wood still get lots of people looking and phoning me !!!

i suppose its because they know by phoning me if i cant do it i will arange a good replacement ?

Hi guys

i have registered with ukdisco about a year ago and have just reregistered after getting about 5 bookings vis their site over the last year (not bad considering it only cost me £35 per year)

I spent £200 on a yellow pages box ad, not convinced i have had any enquiries from them as yet.. Held a free trial on yell dot com as well and that yielded little results.

My best bet being in cornwall where hardly anyone has a computer anyway is Car advertising, im currently in the process of adding window tint and then some vinyl text to the back window. My friend who does wedding photography advertises this way and has got a lot from it. Saying that, he gets a lot through adwords, but i have not found that to be great.

Most of my business come through a local established dj who takes 20%.

All Anthems Disco - Mobile Disco / DJ Hire - Cornwall

For some reason lots of people seem to think that advertising on Ebay is the short end of the wedge or the beginning of the end. Others think that it cheapens their image or that its only used by people seeking a bargain. In some cases it might be true, and many DJ's and general public alike may only use it to find a bargain, but consider something else.

Ebay have been running banner adverts and paypal type corporate sponsorships for some time on their site wide pages. Many of these Ad's belong to large well known and respected companies. Mobile Phone companies, Internet service providers, Telecoms Industries, Media Companies, Satellite TV, Cable TV etc.

These companies employ highly educated professional graduates and pay them enviable sums of money to handle their marketing and advertising budgets and decide where and when to advertise. If people of those calibre think that Ebay is potentially a viable option then why wouldn't it work for DJ's

Of course, the success of an advert depends entirely on how well and professional it is written and presented rather than where it appears. Lots of people blame the media they advertised in / on for a poor success rate rather then looking how well it was written and presented, whether they had bothered to write more than a few words about their business and also whether it had been spell checked and well laid out and whether it was interesting or just full of old marketing cliche's.

The ad is the first impression to your business, and lots of people forget that, just like they forget that you never get a second chance to make a first impression.