Dj's United

A mate of mine who desperatly wants to play cool records in cool bars in liverpool, is hoping to get into the business, i recently gave him virtual dj 6 and he now wants a decent mixer.

question is really has anybody used usb mixers.

how reliable are they, im a little wary as i know how computers react with other hardware, think personally i would rather have 2 soundcards out hitting 2 different channels on my mixer.

but do these mixers actually virtually control the mixers in the software, or what im a little confused.

has anybody used these, what are they like.

A mate of mine who desperatly wants to play cool records in cool bars in liverpool, is hoping to get into the business, i recently gave him virtual dj 6 and he now wants a decent mixer.

question is really has anybody used usb mixers.

how reliable are they, im a little wary as i know how computers react with other hardware, think personally i would rather have 2 soundcards out hitting 2 different channels on my mixer.

but do these mixers actually virtually control the mixers in the software, or what im a little confused.

has anybody used these, what are they like.

here is a little review of a popular one.....

Basically, they are a USB soundcard with a mixer built-in.

The downside is that you'll still be using the PC mouse/keyboard for control, so mixing won't be as easy or as hands on as most people would like. It'll be ok for "play to fade", but probably not what the bar is looking for.

I'm not up on current models, but a better solution will have a few jog wheels, pitch sliders and cue/stop buttons, and ideally some way of selecting tracks (ie small joystick etc), so you rarely need to use the keyboard/mouse.

I've previously used the Behringer BCD3000, this had most of the control you'd need, but then you'd need a separate mixer for mic work (as the mic input was shared with one of the decks).

Jason