Dj's United

What Would You Do?

Im new here so HI to you all :), when woolworths closed down i was hired to do the leaving dou, it was at a working mens club.

1st problem at the set up was around 4pm, no one in the function side of the pub, i requested if it was ok to do a soundcheck, i use to amplifier's one for the tops and one for the subs so i try and get the two to work together nicely, it wasnt loud playing some normal music when i got shouted at by the bar man telling me to turn it off as others were trying to drink next door?, i did anyway but i thought this was unthoughtful what do you reckon?

2nd problem came at the end of the night when a came and said to me after a really good night and a filled dancefloor :), what is going to be your last song, i said well there are alot of couples here so maybe a slow song in which her drunken reply, was NO NO let me look though your cd's and ill choose, i really didnt know what to do, my excuse was id already put them in the car so she left but i didnt know what to do, what would you do?

Overall was a great night with over 100 people and a great range of music, just would like to hear your opinions :Thumbup:

Sounds like you already handled it, - you can only go on the merits of the situation.

For the barman, okay, he might not have been the chief honcho, but it wouldn't have served to aggravate the sitaution, and beyond just politely going through and explaining you "needed to do a soundcheck in advance of the evenings function, and you'd need xxx minutes to perform it in, would he mind?" - if he then still objected then all the will in the world wouldn't change his attitude. It's about being in the moment, I guess.

As for wannabe DJ's...we all get them. Yours was a reasonable reply, as would anything ranging from: "The hosts have asked me to finish with (insert song title here) but yours I'm sure would have been great too!

It's certainly not unreasonable to decline any requests to go rifling through your equipment, so anything from "I'm sorry, I'm not insured to let anyone touch the equipment" to "tell you what, if I let you rifle through my kit, can I rifle through yours?" should do the trick :wacko:

Edited by kenny wisdom
Im new here so HI to you all :), when woolworths closed down i was hired to do the leaving dou, it was at a working mens club.

1st problem at the set up was around 4pm, no one in the function side of the pub, i requested if it was ok to do a soundcheck, i use to amplifier's one for the tops and one for the subs so i try and get the two to work together nicely, it wasnt loud playing some normal music when i got shouted at by the bar man telling me to turn it off as others were trying to drink next door?, i did anyway but i thought this was unthoughtful what do you reckon?

2nd problem came at the end of the night when a came and said to me after a really good night and a filled dancefloor :), what is going to be your last song, i said well there are alot of couples here so maybe a slow song in which her drunken reply, was NO NO let me look though your cd's and ill choose, i really didnt know what to do, my excuse was id already put them in the car so she left but i didnt know what to do, what would you do?

Overall was a great night with over 100 people and a great range of music, just would like to hear your opinions :Thumbup:

Its probably best to report to the person who hired you... If the Barman isn't letting you run a proper sound check, then go find the client and explain the problem.

The Barman could just be a grumpy guy who always complains- and the regular entertainment providers ignore - or he could be the Boss and responsible for hiring new talent to the club - so erring on the side of caution certainly won't hurt.

A small white lie regarding the CD's was a non-conflict way to deal with the situation, so perfectly fine IMO.

The "insurance reasons" reason is also a good one, but leaves you open for further haggling and comments.

It sounds like you handled both difficulties well :Thumbup:

I carry out 'sound checks' closer to the start time of the function if I have to set-up early. This way, I won't / try not to upset or aggravate anyone! :D

Wouldn't want to be ejected from the venue before the gig! LOL!

Welcome to the forum. :djuhi:

No real issues here, i think it's down to experience. Pretty normal stuff.

Sound checks can be too loud, the barman is well within his rights to tell you turn it down or off.

I frequently get hassel over the last song of the night. You never can win with it. A lot of people prefer to keep the tempo up even at weddings, whilst a minoirty prefer slowies. Personally the winning forula is usually to slow it down at say 11.30 -11.45 followed by a couple of uptempo tunes to finish things off.

I never let people look through my Cd's.