Dj's United

When i start a night i seem to get flem in the back of my throat. It can be heard when i start on the mic. After a while when I do more mic work during the night it loosens up and my throat is clear.

Anyone know of any remedies to avoid this from the start? I think am getting old, lol

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

If this has been happening for a while and not linked from a recent cold or flu, my advice is to go and see the quack, who might refer you to the ENT department. It sounds like you have a minor re-occuring throat infection, these are rarely painful but sometimes trigger a reaction that produces either a dry throat or excess amounts of phlegm - which the throat uses as a 'glue' to attempt to trap irritants and bacteria - the more irritated the throat gets the more phlegm that you produce, and its a vicious circle which is only stopped by curing the actual infection - it won't get better by itself.

It (the infection) can also be triggered by stress and certain vitamin deficencies. Does this only happen at gigs?, if so, do you get stressed before a gig?.

Either way, go see your GP for a proper diagnosis. It is minor and easily cured by a week of Antibiotics, but left untreated for months and months and it can lead to other issues or make you feel ill and run down.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

If this has been happening for a while and not linked from a recent cold or flu, my advice is to go and see the quack, who might refer you to the ENT department. It sounds like you have a minor re-occuring throat infection, these are rarely painful but sometimes trigger a reaction that produces either a dry throat or excess amounts of phlegm - which the throat uses as a 'glue' to attempt to trap irritants and bacteria - the more irritated the throat gets the more phlegm that you produce, and its a vicious circle which is only stopped by curing the actual infection - it won't get better by itself.

It (the infection) can also be triggered by stress and certain vitamin deficencies. Does this only happen at gigs?, if so, do you get stressed before a gig?.

Either way, go see your GP for a proper diagnosis. It is minor and easily cured by a week of Antibiotics, but left untreated for months and months and it can lead to other issues or make you feel ill and run down.

Very interesting, thank you.. I guess doing wedding I do suffer some kind of stress (even though I'm not nervous). I want it to be perfect and I guess I could be stressing whether something will go wrong?

I reckon I defo have a vitamin deficency! I don't eat correctly..

It all makes sence. It does only happen when I'm doing a wedding. I DJ in a pub midweek and don't suffer from the problem then. The pub is defo not as stressful as a wedding.

Thanks for the advise, off to the quacks I go..

Steve

Latest

You were spot on McCardle. I went to see my GP this morning. He said more or less what you quoted above. The main problem was adrenalin, which was coursing anxiety and resulting in my throat to become blocked.

He has given me some tablets which if I take 1.5 before a wedding this will slow the adrenalin down. The human body is a strange thing, we can be stressed about something and not even know it.

I understood the quack as I know I get a little stressed only because I want the wedding to be perfect.

Thanks for your help Mac, I wouldn't of gone the doc but for you advising it. I'll let you know if the tablets work... :D

Steve

Glad somebody took my advice. After 6 years and 5 knackered keyboards it had to happen eventually

:funjokeandlaugh:

Seriously, glad that you got it sorted :cheers:

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'