Dj's United

Do you offer UV lighting?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Unsure if this is in the right area, and I havent seen anybody rant about it lately...

Anyway I want to start out in DJing I have done it for a year or so with my brother. We once did a UV theme party, but we only had little UV lighting so it didnt work too much. Im just wondering if I was to offer this type of party, how much UV lights do I need. Plus is there much point? The UV lights might harm the crowd, is it worth the risk?

I've added a poll, please fill it in and tell me what you use if you use it etc...

Edited by Abuse Controller

Unsure if this is in the right area, and I havent seen anybody rant about it lately...

Anyway I want to start out in DJing I have done it for a year or so with my brother. We once did a UV theme party, but we only had little UV lighting so it didnt work too much. Im just wondering if I was to offer this type of party, how much UV lights do I need. Plus is there much point? The UV lights might harm the crowd, is it worth the risk?

I've added a poll, please fill it in and tell me what you use if you use it etc...

I use 1 400w UV Cannon and its plenty for any event I have done

DJ James Lake & The Shokwaves Roadshow

I sometimes use a 4' tube, depending on the function.

I don't see how you can charge extra for using one though if it is part of the "rig", fair enough people charge extra for video projectors (I don't) and up lighting, but they do involve extra work on set up and operation.

A UV light just clamps onto your truss and takes a flick of a switch to operate.

Jim

I notice that there is one vote for no, too much risk.

The UV frequency used in UV lighting is safe (unlike the sunbed tubes), I have heard of cannons exploding, do these not have safety covers?

In all the time I've been a DJ, or all my adult life actually, I have never known a tube to explode, you can get safety covers for the too if it is a concern.

So what is the risk?

I expect there is more risk in a speaker falling off a stand or some kit getting knocked over.

Jim

isn't there a risk of arc eye using UV cannons?

I remember on this forum , members warning me of arc eye.

I think that when UV par cans that 1 are reliable and long life and 2 have a high output wide beam then a UV wash set up similar to what other members do with standard rgb par cans would be a good add on for my customers .I can see that being a good effect in small venues.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

• 2 weeks later...

Uv light is great when you get paid cash on arrival and in a dodgy area..................................

You can check the reflective triangle at the top of a £20 note fot its authenticity. :dukesy:

lol supersound dj very useful in my neck of the woods

I have searched via google etc and i cant seem to find one case of "arc eye" caused by a UV cannon ..can anyone point me to a case or an article anywhere where a UV Disco product (not a sun bed) caused Arc eye

Cheers

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

Ill tell you what I know.Being an X welder arc eye usually takes effect when you look Directly at an unshielded arc welder at a distance of 2 meters.Thats on heavy thickness steel or about 180 amps.(A welder gives out pure UV)

If it makes you squint and feels uncomfortable then thats a good case for arc eye.

What is arc eye?...The Noooo

well its a burning of the retina at the back of the eye magnified through the front lens (like a magnifying glass in the sun)

symptoms....

a sandpaper like feeling in the eye and v irritating and lots of watering(this is the retina layer being stripped and renewed and flushed away by the tear ducts)

The body is a great machine.

Just some useless info lol

Hope this helps...and i know im taking a serious vew now days..god ive supprised meself lol.

Regards Paul

Edited by supersound dj

Ill tell you what I know.Being an X welder arc eye usually takes effect when you look Directly at an unshielded arc welder at a distance of 2 meters.Thats on heavy thickness steel or about 180 amps.(A welder gives out pure UV)

If it makes you squint and feels uncomfortable then thats a good case for arc eye.

What is arc eye?...The Noooo

well its a burning of the retina at the back of the eye magnified through the front lens (like a magnifying glass in the sun)

symptoms....

a sandpaper like feeling in the eye and v irritating and lots of watering(this is the retina layer being stripped and renewed and flushed away by the tear ducts)

The body is a great machine.

Just some useless info lol

Hope this helps...and i know im taking a serious vew now days..god ive supprised meself lol.

Regards Paul

Arc eye can happen under any circumstances with any welder, it doesn't even have to be direct and I am not sure where you got the 2 metre thing from.

I have suffered badly from it twice.

DJ James Lake & The Shokwaves Roadshow

• 1 month later...

Never ever heard of a UV cannon causing any eye injury.

me too

Years ago i used to install plasma TV's many people used to think plasmas contained blood and confused palsma gas with the yellow liquid component of blood, also myths sprung up about having to re gas a plasma tv .they were wrong and its a myth.

all from the word Plasma.

Now my theory goes UV canons normally use a Arc lamp people have seen the word Arc and correlated it to Arc welding and Arc eye..

I have yet to find one instance one claim, one article where a Disco UV product caused Arc eye.

Thus my suspicion about the Disco Arc theory....unless someone can prove me wrong

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421