Dj's United

Deck Stands - What Do You Use?

Deck Stands - what do you use?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What I really like about the deckstand booth pro is the angled top edge.

I'm fed up with people making requests and leaning on my flight case when they want to talk.

I'm guessing the angled edge keeps people at a distance and I want to investigate it further.

The price however is prohibitive and for a fraction of the price can buy normal stands so the on-cost just for the edge is what's holding me back

:joe:

I think the other criticism for the DeskStand Pro is the cloth used on the basic model - its not that high quality.

I also like the angled top (also on the S&H booth)

You can pay extra for a better quality cloth, and I guess if you're in the high-end market, it should be easy to justify.

I do think its a good product, and an alternative to the S&H booth. As a product developer for my day job, its interesting how James has managed to get it into DJ Stores and push it as a product.

I think you're not only paying extra for the angled top- the cloth suddenly becomes much more than rectangle, and so that also increases the cost.

Jas

Would you be able to take a video of the stand and upload onto Youtube? I tried to find some video of this equipment but can't find any.

Looks really good. What do you use as shelving material?

:joe:

Not sure I can do video...well not for a few weeks anyway. It takes about 1 minute to put together ( well unfold ) then another minute to wrap cloth around. I went for the serge cloth with LED's which was £650 from DJ superstore ( had to price match to get that price)

Depending on what you want to put on it the shelf system is two lots of two bars so if you are putting flight cases on it no extra shelving is needed. I have only used it twice so far and didnt use the shelves as I just wheeled my large flightcase with mixer / amps etc behind it.

To my mind the quality is every bit as good as the S&H booth/starcloth if you go for the Serge version.

I thought the starcloth would be fiddly to get right as the stand has Velcro all the way around for the cloth to stick to but it was easy. The controller for the LED lights has a lot of controls with fade as well as flash and you can also control the brightness...on full they are actually too bright

Edited by wizard

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Appreciate your thought on videoing. Strictly speeking I'm dissappointed that the only marketing material on this is half a dozen low res photographs, some with watermarks.

They'll sell more if they put some clips on Youtube. ADJ (amongst others) do it for everything and it's a great way of learning about kit online without having to find a stockist

Teez

• 10 months later...

to be honest i just use a table out the pub at the minute lol,i do have a 8' goal post setup but everything else just goes on the table :huh: anyone got a stand for sale????

I did that for years, didn't even know what a deckstand was until I joined here, when I think back to what my setup looked like before I joined here I cringe. You can get a basic deckstand here for very reasonable money, the starcloth is the expensive bit, just use black cloth and velcro for a while if money is tight. Otherwise they are on ebay all the time. I must admit I bought a cheapo starcloth off ebay initially, lasted about six months until the leds died so in my experience it's best to buy a proper one, same with the stand, get an ultimax if you can afford one.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

I did that for years, didn't even know what a deckstand was until I joined here, when I think back to what my setup looked like before I joined here I cringe. You can get a basic deckstand here for very reasonable money, the starcloth is the expensive bit, just use black cloth and velcro for a while if money is tight. Otherwise they are on ebay all the time. I must admit I bought a cheapo starcloth off ebay initially, lasted about six months until the leds died so in my experience it's best to buy a proper one, same with the stand, get an ultimax if you can afford one.

Did you get one of the 120-led ones? Noticed that one channel of mine flickers intermittently now... Considering hard-wiring it directly to the mains (avoiding the white box crap altogether, and shoving a bridge rectifier, capactitor and some resistor to dim them to a point - and to avoid the 50hz flickering). I hate all of the flashing-programmes on there anyway !

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

ultimax do a stand called the 4 footer which is, stability and ease of assembley wise, far superior to the giraffe/kam stands. its made from 1" box steel as opposed to the flimsy tube and just slots together with no nuts and bolts

however it is not for the tall dj and the overhead is not height adjustable.

regarding led skirts etc i vaguely remember a post ages ago where somebody stated something along the lines of "we are hiring a dj.....not a magician"

Black cloth and velcro for me.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

on my second njd starcloth and second giraffe stand ..looking at customizing my giraffe to screwless design and changing the shelf heights made a custom crossbar with velcro to hold the starcloth straighter

You'd be better getting an Ultimax stand, cos you can adjust the heights on it to suit.. whether just a small console or (like me), have a 10u/4u gator mixer flight case (another good investment for me)

With regards to magicians... I sometimes turn off the LEDs on the start cloth, so it basically looks like a black cloth. In fact, reverse it, and it looks just like a black cloth.

Might consider getting the Ultimax black-cloth front, which just sits in front as a long "straight" edge with a long weight at the bottom. Not sure what the packed dimensions are for it, however...

Cheers,

David

on my second njd starcloth and second giraffe stand ..looking at customizing my giraffe to screwless design and changing the shelf heights made a custom crossbar with velcro to hold the starcloth straighter

That is one of my main bug-bears about my star cloth - its hard to get it to go straight across the top... moreso with the flight case sticking out over the front of the stand.... Something a front-curitain with bar would just work instead...

Hmmn... thinking now !

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

the ultimax sumo curtain is probably one of the best options but it only fits the sumo stand

http://www.ultimax1.com/product_img/zoom/UMAC024rearview.jpg

the sumo stand is one heavy duty piece of kit but comes at a price

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I use one of these nowadays along with either a goalpost or a T-Bar (depending upon the size of rig and the amount of lighting required) and a custom deck surround made from creative use of 1.5 inch plastic conduit, a few elbows and a black sheet attached with velcro tabs.

It has cut my set-up / breakdown times by a huge amount and gives me a decent amount of working space, as well as negating the need to ask the bar staff for a spare table or two. The only real negative is *if* the venue is upstairs with no lift, in which case I usually ditch the roll-cab and carry the components up individually.

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

Why cant I add an image to my post

dont know, im sure you have posted images before.

post as normal with an image link and we can double check the code

I use a 4ft Ultimax SUMO - its slightly different to the Ultimax DJ stands as its slanted, but the wheels are great - its as solid as a rock - it came with x2 4.5ft truss, but i just use one. £100 second hand - well worth it - 2 minutes to put up too.

the ultimax sumo curtain is probably one of the best options but it only fits the sumo stand

the sumo stand is one heavy duty piece of kit but comes at a price

Just reading backwards in this thread after my post - these look great - any idea where to get one and how much?

www.sparklingdiscos.co.uk

www.sparklingdancefloors.co.uk

• 2 years later...