Dj's United

St Georges Day Disco?

Hi all,

I have been asked to put on a fundraiser disco on April 23rd (St Georges Day) 2110 at a local hall for our Town Mayoress.

She has stipulated that the audience is generally an older age group and she wants an English theme.

As I have about 7 months to prepare has anybody got any ideas as to what I can do in the respect of music, effects etc...

Any help greatly appreciated. :wall:

Experienced Motown & Northern Soul Mobile DJ

April 23rd (St Georges Day) 2110

As I have about 7 months to prepare

sounds like you've got a few years to wait!

i guess theres going to be a wide varity of ages there so maybe google all great britsh artists etc! new & old.

What you have to consider is the age of the audience, and then some! I doubt that they would want Vera Lynn all night but also doubt you would get away with Lily Allen or The Prodigy tracks!

I would look at the popular music of artistes that 'the English' would enjoy listening and dancing to, in the tradition of a great party, such as, for example, Queen, The Beatles, Take That, Madness, Gerry & The Pace Makers, The Bee Gees,...there are so many artites, I couldn't possibly name them all here!

A good broad selection of 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and dare I say modern - so don't be afraid to play rock n roll tracks and popular / well known music, just not too loud and not for too long (same genre), as the attention span on the dancefloor is only so long!

Think of good party music and adapt to your audience. Alternatively, you could have a couple of 45min 'English Music Sets' or longer - depends on several factors, such as what music you have, audience, time, etc.

As for the 'English Theme', bearing in mind the 'older audience', throughout the night, you could drop-in tracks and melodies 'traditionally' considered 'English', so from a 'nostalgic' approach, I'd use the Dambusters Theme, Land of Hope and Glory, March of the Mods, Conga / Hot Hot Hot, Hokey Cokey, Knees Up Mother Brown, Hi Ho Silver Lining, The Lambeth Walk, Bring Me Sunshine, I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Bye Bye Blackbird, Hold Me Close, Come Up And See Me, Red Red Robin, I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts, Save Your Love, Self Preservation Society, Under The Moon of Love, Move It, Crocodile Rock, Brown Sugar, Staying Alive, Rocking All Over The World, Rabbit, Ain't No Pleasing You, Pinball Wizard, My Generation, One Man Band, We Will Rock You, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Kind Of Magic, I Like It, How Do You Do, She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Relight My Fire, Shine, Up All Night, Hey Jude, It Must Be Love, One Step Beyond.

You'll probably get away with Vera Lynn at the end of the night - We'll Meet Again. :D

And don't forget that 'the English' traditionally liked / like novelty dancing, for example, Oops Up (The Rowing Boat Song), Tiger Feet, Can Can, Time Warp, Wig Wam Bam, The Music Man and of course YMCA, etc.

Just ideas.

I love these type of functions because the people entertain themselves and make the night easy for me!

Putty in your hands mate! :yes: