Dj's United

American Dj Sdj1

hi guys,

i have just found this piece of kit online and after reading around it could be quite interested. i had a quiick search on here and it appears to have cropped up a few times however nobody has actually said they own one. So what i would like to know is does anyone on here own one and what do they think of it. i would be gettng it as a backup for my laptop but would also use it for maybe sound effects or if it was a small gig i might not take my laptop. Anyway any information would be really use full.

Thanks in advance

Yes I have one got mine for £99 delivered from Amazon I think... Great for back up to a laptop as this is what mine if for. I would hate to use it for a full night every gig as the screens are a little bit small and you have to wait for the artist and then title to scroll to see what track it is... But as a back up you cant go wrong no HD to get damaged and you can get a whole heap of tunes on two 4gig cards. I have gone through my collection and put on the must have tracks that would carry me through most parties.

The players will select tunes from both cards so you can play the same tune of the same card at the same time if you really wanted to and you can swap the cards for others so I recon half a dozen cards carefully loaded and labeled would serve a CD DJ as well as his creat of Discs.

For the CD DJ I can see it being a good move towards the digital domain but for the laptop DJ I see it as a step back as you have more information on a laptop screen than the SD1.....

For the money and the usability as a back up I give it 10 out of 10

Nik

This looks interesting for £99!

I agree Nik - for an ex-Virtual DJ user where I could see much more information on a PC, the Dedicated Hard Drive controllers really need to work on their user interface.

I expect the display is a large part of the cost of these units, and a VGA output (for a small VGA display) and a simple internal LCD display would be a good compromise.

One reason for choosing the DDS is the decent colour display (now put to shame by the Pioneer...at a price :damn: )

It'll be interesting if the SDJ1 supports the 16GB or even 32GB SDHC cards. For an average gig, we mainly play similar tracks ( and it'll be fairly straight forward to continue a gig using one of these if there was a main playback failure (CD/Laptop or HDD Controller)

I've also found that you can get simple SD Card based MP3 players for under £10. Could be worth hanging one of these off the mixer with a few compilations.

This would be an ok backup for those on a serious budget for cash of space!

It'll be interesting if the SDJ1 supports the 16GB or even 32GB SDHC cards. For an average gig, we mainly play similar tracks ( and it'll be fairly straight forward to continue a gig using one of these if there was a main playback failure (CD/Laptop or HDD Controller)

When I got mine it said 4gig per card max so unless they change it witch would make sence then no its total of 8 gig at any one time. But with just my two cards I have more than enough to do a good night should the poo hit the watsit.....

Oh also they are so quick to update as you can just pop the card in your pocket end of gig slot it in your home PC and bob's ya uncle. No having to trapes HDC's or DD's etc in the house.

Nik

Edited by UKHero

interesting video on youtube about the limit.a guy on there tried the larger hd cards and couldnt get them to work however after some playing he realised the cards would work to a maximum number of 999 tracks. Saying that dont take my word for it

As far as I know the first SDJ1 units did not accept high capacity SD cards but later ones sported the SDHC logo and did accept them. I believe firmware upgrades are available.

A more versatile back-up unit could be a second user D2 Director. These will accept USB sticks and SD cards (with a USB adapter) plus, of course, hard drives.

Edited by spinner

As far as I know the first SDJ1 units did not accept high capacity SD cards but later ones sported the SDHC logo and did accept them. I believe firmware upgrades are available.

A more versatile back-up unit could be a second user D2 Director. These will accept USB sticks and SD cards (with a USB adapter) plus, of course, hard drives.

I use the sdj2 as it has a mixer which can be used for a spare if ever needed. Great units and never had any problems . I use the same two 4GB cards for most of my Wedding gigs. Make sure to sort your music into folders you can access easily and also make sure the tags are all correct as its easier to scroll through tracks when there in alpabetical order.

Woody