Dj's United

What To Play After Slow Dances At Weddings

Hi I have been djing for last seven years as a mobile dj and still learning.

Imagine the scene, bride and groom have had their first dance, then playing Wet Wet Wet's song Love is all around, lots of couples dancing, you have a busy dance floor, what do you do next

the evening guests not long arrived, the day guests a mixture of ages

apart from panic what do you do next,

1) Play a current popular tune from the charts? if so what one.

2) Another slow one

3) A classic gentle one ie December 63

4) A classic medium one ie Young hearts

5) Or do you save them for later when you know people ready to dance as i dont like to play the same song twice or is that acceptable

6) Do you introduce the next song and tell them that you will be playing music for everyone and dont be afraid to ask for requests, giving them a chance to make there way off the dance floor

7) Burst into tears as you watch them all leave the dance floor and it doesnt matter what song you play?

Obviously if the song works and you keep a few on the dance floor that is easy you have a good start. But what about us who choose the wrong song, and we have all done it. I have tried various different songs with different responses.

What have you lot found out that works.

One reason why it can be difficult to keep a full floor after the first dance is that it's too early in the evening. If this is so why not have the first dance later?

Let the evening guests who have not long arrived relax, chat and have a few drinks. If there's a buffet have the first dance after it.

Once all the potential obstacles are out of the way there's far more chance of keeping things moving right from the start.

Of course a lot depends on the crowd.

• 1 year later...

I agree, ideally you let the evening crowd settle in. However I would try one “Floorfiller” first, just to test the water. The track should be aimed at the older crowd; the younger guests will need a drink or two first. Something like “December 63”, “Dancing Queen” etc. If it works, keep it going, if not settle back into a “Radio Show” style. Keep putting out good dance tracks and watch the reaction, but keep the best tracks for when the crowd is ready to dance. Also ask for requests.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

I always ask the bride and groom, if they don't specify one then I test the water with something popular with everyone, Michael Jackson, celebration cool and the gang, etc. If that doesnt work then I will save the better toons until later when they want to dance.

Some you win some you lose

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Varies every time.

Some times another slow track (or another two slow tracks), maybe something fast, the Bridge & Groom may have requested something, could be a Bride & Father of the Bride dance, may stop after the first dance for dinner and pick up later.

I have to look at the crowd and choose (unless a request has been made).

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

Varies every time.

Some times another slow track (or another two slow tracks), maybe something fast, the Bridge & Groom may have requested something, could be a Bride & Father of the Bride dance, may stop after the first dance for dinner and pick up later.

I have to look at the crowd and choose (unless a request has been made).

I find that Donna Summer - On the Radio works well (slow into fast) as does Dolly Parton - 9-5.

• 1 year later...

Always start up after the slow dance with an up to date chart tune, Rihanna tunes are very user friendly at the mo,,

Totally agree, Rhianna works very well, as does a couple of "recent classics" such as Valarie or I don't feel like dancing.

Although, for a younger type crowd, recently I have gone straight into Chris Brown - Yeah 3x or Beautiful People. The latter has a really good extended club mix

• 2 weeks later...

I play another slow track telling the guests to swap partners.

I play a slow one and ask the guests to swap partners.

this forum is annoying me, saying I can't post as its under 25 seconds and then i post twice due to it in the same post!

this forum is annoying me, saying I can't post as its under 25 seconds and then i post twice due to it in the same post!

Why are you wanting / trying to make two consecutive posts in the same thread anyway?? :shrug:

One post every 25 seconds is unlikely to give anybody any issues, why would you want to make posts more frequently than that, unless you were Jock McSpammer?. In fact, one post every 25 days would be more than enough on this ghost ship LOL

:funjokeandlaugh:

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Though I don't have a concrete 'this is my list of songs to play immediately after a slow/first dance,' I would tend to play something mid-tempo, which is well known and could easily allow me to go straight into party mode or continue with building up to going into party mode.

Hopefully the above makes sense!

I used to find that something like 'Can't Get By Without You' by The Real Thing worked well at weddings with a largely older crowd after playing the first dance. I think a big song from the previous 5 years is a good idea for a slightly younger crowd. When Justin Timberlake's 'Rock Ya Body' was in the charts, for example, I often played that after first dances and ended up growing very sick of hearing it! :D

I always make a point of playing a few well known but underplayed reggae tracks during the background music stage and if I've seen people responding well to them, I've sometimes played a few reggae tracks to get things underway after a slow/first dance.

• 1 month later...

Strangely, I always play a fast track once the required number of slow dances has been completed, and it is generally always Phil Collins and You Cant Hurry Love.

Rarely fails as is instantly recogniseable, fast and "beaty" at 196ish.

• 8 months later...

Strangely, I always play a fast track once the required number of slow dances has been completed, and it is generally always Phil Collins and You Cant Hurry Love.

Rarely fails as is instantly recogniseable, fast and "beaty" at 196ish.

Same here, although I always use "I gotta feeling" by BEP's. Infact, I did that just last night - The only exception by Paramore was the first dance, then Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls for all the friends and rellies to slow dance to, then the BEP track.

It seemed to work - the dancefloor was full all night!