Dj's United

Complete Dj Set Up For Newbie

Hiya,

As per my other post i'm just starting out, there seems to be so much choice out there i have come across this package from a local DJ shop, i will mainly just be doing pubs, village halls & clubs, do you think this is ok to start:

>>1 x Gemini CDM3600 Anti Shock CD Mixstation

>>1 x Gemini CDM3600 Flight Case

>>1 x Soundlab 200 Amplifier

>>2 x Soundlab/Skytec 10" 200W Speakers

>>1 x Numark HF125 Headphones

>>1 x Cable Microphone

>>All connecting cables.

LIGHTING:

>>2 x Acme Light Splashes

>>1 x Soundlab Smoke Machine

>>1 x 5Ltrs Smoke Fluid

Thanks

Before buying a smoke machine, I'd seriously consider the venues where you'll be allowed to use it! Even the mere mention of a 'smoke machine' can cause a venue manager a slight raise in blood pressure!

Such items can and do set off fire alarms. If the alarm is also patched into the emergency services / automatic alert system, should a brigade call-out be 'false alarm', the venue could end up 'black listed'. Not good, as who wants' to generate a bad reputation as a disco business before they really start out?!

I'd personally hire or borrow someone else's smoke machine (if it is really required) but do consider carefully, because if you buy one, it might just end up as a door-stop or floor ornament at home for 11.5 months of the year!

Check out the venues and see where you CAN use one. If it's only one here or there, save your money and only hire / borrow if you are working there, and that the client is also happy for you to use on night. Can't upset them, can we?!

I feel that your sound system would be happily operating (rather nicely) say up to around 50 guests, but should guest numbers increase to say 100, then maybe not. Depends on how you position and drive.

You may find that you have to drive the speakers harder and harder, and that doesn't sound good to the ears, and may cost you as a result!

You can of course raise the height of speakers to help maximise the dispersal of sound which may help with the size of speakers mentioned, but bear in mind that working areas vary and placement of speaker stands AND lighting stands can sometimes be impractical or awkward.

Lots to think about!

Your sound system should ideally be guest suitable - i.e. not too loud and not working too hard, not getting really hot and then breaking down because you've had to increase volume! You need something that is not going to cause you constant grief and concern, in my opinion, so perhaps listening / budgeting for a 15" speaker and appropriate amp is worth considering.

Alternatively, your system may be fine and you only need to hire a larger system for larger gigs.

Of course, noise and complaints about a discos volume level is always going to be a factor at any venue / gig, but with a system that can cope well with those attending, it is far easier and overall better to turn the system down, than to drive it distorted and most of all too hard.

Have you thought about the number of people you'll be mainly / ideally entertaining?

i.e. 50, 100, 150, 200, etc

Let us know and perhaps we can suggest some alternative systems for your perusal and consideration.

smile icon