Dj's United

Chauvet Wireless Dmx

Hi all,

It's been some time since I last visited here. I've just been getting on with life and gigging.

For some time I've wanted Wireless DMX (mainly to speed set up of remote lighting tripods and LED bars) but all the systems that came across were aimed at touring companies and theatres, and cost ££££'s. But now I see that Chauvet do wireless DMX transmitter/receivers.

Now my general opinion of Chauvet has been that they produce cheap low end kit. However lighting is less important than sound. In addition I would only be using them over a range of around 10 metres and they claim a range of 120 metres. So maybe they would be good enough?

So has anyone here got any experience of the Chauvet wireless DMX units? How well do they work?

Do they interfere with radio mic's? Do they use UK legal frequencies?

Are there any other low cost (ie less than £200 per transmitter or receiver) wireless DMX systems on the market?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

I just did a google search and found a similar post referring to a couple of 40 quid ones on ebay :)

The ebay ones mentioned there use 2.4ghz - which is the same frequency as wi-fi (in fact the 15 selectable channels are the same channels/frequencies as wifi), so no licence required...

Cheers

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I just did a google search and found a similar post referring to a couple of 40 quid ones on ebay :)

The ebay ones mentioned there use 2.4ghz - which is the same frequency as wi-fi (in fact the 15 selectable channels are the same channels/frequencies as wifi), so no licence required...

Cheers

David

Yes David, although they look lower quality than the Chauvet (I never thought I would use that phrase!). I would also prefer a system that wouldn't stop working when there is a full dancefloor between me than the receiver. (But at that price they could be worth a try.)

I would also hate to take a venues Wi-Fi out or have it interfere with me. So I'm still looking for other opinions.

What would be even better if there were wireless DMX receivers in each fixture. Now that's something that would be better - however would prob add too much cost to each fixture (exp if its required to transmit from the fixture out to the wireless dmx network).

You could check with some s/w on your laptop which wifi-channels are in use and then setup based on an "empty" channel. I had an app on windows that did it on the old laptop - Scanned for base stations (amazing what/how much it picks up when on the train!).

for 40 quid x 2 it sounds worth the try. Only thing to make it better would be external antennas...

I'm going to be looking at a total DMX length of 84 meters in about 2-3 weeks time (putting a few uplighting led pars around the hall to see how it looks)... Should be interesting!

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

What would be even better if there were wireless DMX receivers in each fixture. Now that's something that would be better - however would prob add too much cost to each fixture (exp if its required to transmit from the fixture out to the wireless dmx network).

Hi David,

As you say, wireless receivers for each fixture would be too expensive. My plan (if I decide to go wireless) is to have one receiver on each of my main T Bars - as I normally space these tripods as far out as possible - and another couple each strapped to and LED Bar (which I can then daisy chain other LED bars from) - as I often run LED bars up each side of the room uplighting the walls (although just as often I use them on the wall behind me.

Here is a picture of a set up which would have been a lot quicker if I hadn't had to run all the DMX cables:http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9350/parklanehotelrobbiedown.jpg

My console (with DMX controller) is on the right (see the starcloth). The two T bars are circled. I also had a row of LED bars behind me on the right, and along the diagonal red line I have marked on the left.

The DMX feed to the left tripod and on to the far left LED bars took some time and had to be taped down all the way. The door on the left of the stage was the main route in to the kitchen, so it was a pain taking a DMX cable across there. Wireless DMX would have saved me 20mins set up and 10mins pack up time.

Sorry I was too busy DJing to take pictures of the lights on. Also I normally set up on the stage, but that night there was a band set up behind the curtain.

You could check with some s/w on your laptop which wifi-channels are in use and then setup based on an "empty" channel. I had an app on windows that did it on the old laptop - Scanned for base stations (amazing what/how much it picks up when on the train!).

for 40 quid x 2 it sounds worth the try. Only thing to make it better would be external antennas...

I don't carry a laptop and would prefer not to have to spend time messing about scanning. I just want a solution that just works reliably first time.

That night the dancefloor was packed and I'm not sure if a cheaper unit would have been reliable with a wireless DMX receiver on the floor on the far right by the LED bars. The Chauvet units do have external antennas and quote 120M range and are around £100 each which is reasonable. There are several Pro systems on the market, but these are several hundred pounds for each receiver. At that kind of cost I'd stick with cables.

I'm going to be looking at a total DMX length of 84 meters in about 2-3 weeks time (putting a few uplighting led pars around the hall to see how it looks)... Should be interesting!

Good Luck!

Edited by RobbieD