Dj's United

Second Hand Or Cheap And New

hi all i have been looking for a amp to run 4 x 15" soundlab 500w full range speakers and 2 x 12" boost 250w speakers, the later i am not to sure about can not get much info on them apart from on the bass speaker is a little white stick man emblem with the word boost above it, got them from a auction as a job lot of gear ..my quandry is i dont have a lot to spend and i think i need a amp that is putting out something over 1500w. i have seen that maplin are doing a pro sound 1400w amp for 149 but guessing its cant be that good for that sort of money. but if it lasts me a year while i am earning money, and if it breaks i can take it back. or do i go down the ebay way and pick up some quality but less power.any advice or recomendations of certain amps would be helpfull.

I'd recommending getting 2 amps (or more) - not just 1 big one.

This way if you have a failure, you'll have a spare and can continue the gig with only a short downtime.

Things to look out for;

Impedance rating of speakers- 8 Ohm or 4 Ohm... I'd guess they are all 8 Ohm - but check.

When you're looking at amps, the spec will show the rated output at 4 Ohm and 8 Ohms (this will be louder than 4 Ohms!).

Probably best to go the 2nd hand route- you should be able to get one thats been flight cased etc and get a better deal than something cheap but new. If you get a new amp, you should also budget for a flight case (the cardboard box will last about 3 gigs...)

A good amp will last years, and if you can get 2 then you've got a flexible rig - so can do small parties, or take it all for a larger one.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Probably best to go the 2nd hand route- you should be able to get one thats been flight cased etc and get a better deal than something cheap but new. If you get a new amp, you should also budget for a flight case (the cardboard box will last about 3 gigs...)

Couldn't agree more on the flightcase suggestion, Its also easier to leave the cables in the end of the flightcase (as they rarely fit in the cardboard box), Also faster setup, and less "stuff" lying around too (no cardboard box, etc).

I just bought another flight case for the second (backup) amp and a DMX dimmer pack...

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I always think buy the best you can afford quality does make a difference in sound and reliability... I think in your position I would go the ebay route but be carefull what you buy and from who.. Read their feedback and go check it out before making a bid if this is possible.

If it looks as though its been looked after then this might be an indication also. It might have some scuffs on it where it has been flightcased etc.

Good luck

Nik

hi guys firstly many thanks for al the good advice much appreciated. currently the amps i have are a gemini ppx 1300 @ the repair shop ( prayin they can fix it), a more than useless synergy2 x100w, and a intergrated awia amp that i had to try and get by with last weekend in conjuction with the synergy. not good i know!!! . i have had my head burried in ebay for the last few days, would love to get a crown or beringer, but money restricts, so have been looking at gemini,citronic and c.mark,as i have heard reasoable reports about these makes. Have reallised that buying amps on ebay has its restrictions, unless you want to travel to the other end of the country. or pay stupid delivery charges due to weight,I have just promised the brand new owners of one of hour local pubs that i will do this friday and sat for there opening night. think i might hire one this weekend to be on the safe side. presure whats presure bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!!

think i might hire one this weekend to be on the safe side. presure whats presure bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not ask on here if some one can hire or even lend you an amp or PA for the gigs. You might end up not making much from the gigs but at least you wont let them down and this could then lead to more work. Just a though.

nik

Is this a typo?

Crown are at the top of the market, Behringer at the bottom..

no typo just shows my inexperience in this field ,!!! had heard very good reports about beringer. but from my clubing days 95 to02 i remember crown being outstanding. .hey we all learn something new every day.

Why not ask on here if some one can hire or even lend you an amp or PA for the gigs. You might end up not making much from the gigs but at least you wont let them down and this could then lead to more work. Just a though.

nik

hi nik i agree good idea . have a pv800 ready to hire, for collection friday afternoon 25 for the weekend thought that was not to bad a deal. but the site is here to help and advise so in hindsite should have checked here first. :D

We get a reasonable turnover of 2nd hand kit through the buying/selling section of our forum, and it's normally either good branded pro gear, or tried and tested stuff from the cheaper brands. As a pro-audio forum the members tend to steer clear of the cheaper disco marketed stuff unless it's one of the diamonds in the rough that exist (like the Berry EP amps for example)

Not sure I'm allowed to cross post but I think my signature still has the address.

In fact there's 5 separate threads on the first page today with amps for sale including Lab Gruppens, Crowns, QSC's, C-Audio, Matrix ranging from £90 up to £1500. Might be something there for you.

Edited by norty303

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum