Dj's United

Quoted for a client today and checked on the venue website which says '

Where Hirers intend to employ a Disco, the Disco Operator must display a current Performing Rights Society Licence'. I assume this is aimed at laptop dj's and not us 'old timers' using CDs.

A PRS licence is required by any location or premises where music is played and can be heard by the public and that includes any premises outside the home, from clubs to concert halls, from discos to dentists’ waiting rooms, and from trains to take aways.

Usually, the proprietor/manager of the premises is responsible for obtaining a PRS Music Licence.

Same applies with a PPL licence.

A PRS licence is required by any location or premises where music is played and can be heard by the public and that includes any premises outside the home, from clubs to concert halls, from discos to dentists’ waiting rooms, and from trains to take aways.

Usually, the proprietor/manager of the premises is responsible for obtaining a PRS Music Licence.

Same applies with a PPL licence.

Yep that was my take on it. Unless the venue are getting in a muddle with laptop djs

• 2 weeks later...

Yep that was my take on it. Unless the venue are getting in a muddle with laptop djs

I've always thought a PPL license (if you're playing original CDs only, i.e. no PCs, DVDs, etc.) was enough, irrelative of what they've got. For pubs, etc. they are supposed to have a PRS license themselves, but as far as covering your ar$e is concerned - I was under the distinct impression the PPL was enough (about £135 the last time I looked)