Dj's United

Windows 7 And Dj Software

Not sure yet here - I know Windows 7 runs a lot quicker than Vista (its hard not to really!), And don't have the space to try Windows 7 out on this laptop yet (I've got acccess to MSDN versions).

Cheers

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I tried windows 7 RC but it wouldnt take the drivers for my bcd so went back to vista until drivers are released.

I do want to get rid of vista I just find it unreliable!!

Was on the news today about it, and how vista had failed... It seems the biggest selling point of 7 is that it is touch screen compatible.... I might be wrong but I thought that was down to the screen and subsiquent drivers to power it. We use XP at The Wolf and they are touch screen..... They did say there was less bulk with 7 than windows. I just wish Microsoft would release a no bells and whistles version for people who want sheer power and not transparent windows and :crap: .....

Nik

Was on the news today about it, and how vista had failed... It seems the biggest selling point of 7 is that it is touch screen compatible.... I might be wrong but I thought that was down to the screen and subsiquent drivers to power it. We use XP at The Wolf and they are touch screen..... They did say there was less bulk with 7 than windows. I just wish Microsoft would release a no bells and whistles version for people who want sheer power and not transparent windows and :crap: .....

Nik

Its called xubuntu;

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/xubuntu

:D

Works fine on very old lappys/PC's. Open Office/Firefox/Thunderbird/DVD players etc can be installed.

Back in Windows Land...

We're still on XP in the office. I think MS shot themselves in the foot with a fairly good OS.

Most companies have no reason to updrade from XP to Win7 - I received the CD on Tuesday and might install on a PC for compatibility testing with my code, but I can't see us upgrading the desktops.

For the home user, things are a little more cloudy. Win7 is supposed to be lighter than Vista. I'm currently running Vista on a fairly modern Laptop (Dell Studio 15 with 4GB ram and upgraded graphics) and its fine -but the laptop is only a few months old..(and Vista has been out for a while) and I've got plenty of Ram. Essentially, the PC was designed to work well with Vista.

If you've "upgraded" your laptop to Vista/Win7 from XP, then expect slower performance.

Downgrading a marginal spec PC to XP may make sense - if this is possible within the license terms of the software.

The DJ controllers can lag with the latest OS - they are not big sellers and Win7 (from what I read) requires "signed" drivers. So any drivers need to be checked by MS before you can install.

This should create a stable platform - but obviously, hardware that is not a big seller (compared to mainstream PC components) will lag behind.

I guess to the OP - it "should" be better, due to many internal tweaks and better memory handling. Don't upgrade that old XP laptop -it really won't cut it! Also check your controller vendor has Win7 drivers.

If WOS7 is the way forward, lets hope that newly developed third party DJ software uses the OS to its full potential.

Like suggested in another thread, the touch-screen element could be great for DJ'ing...but keep the tissue and screen wipes handy! :D