Dj's United

Eminence Kapa Pro 15 "drivers

be carefull on there power ratings,i have a friend who recones speakers,there rms is is more like a peak rating,ie they may say 500w rms,when its more probably around the 350 w mark.

I'd say their rms is exactly what they say it is.

I'd be interested to know what lead him to that conclusion? Scientific destruction testing with test tones?

Certainly I know of a number of people who use them in short bandpass horns and use more than 500w and have no problems whatsoever

Just make sure you put them in a cab that suits them. Use BassBoxPro, WinISD or Eminence speaker designer (stripped down BBPro) to do a rudimentary model to at least check your port tuning suits them.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

Another thing to watch for is that many of these chinese moulded cabs use drivers with particularly narrow rims, meaning the eminence (which have wide cast rims) dont always 'drop in' the moulding.

They may also sound awful! They probably won't, but you need to be aware of the possibility!

i changed a pair of 15" drivers before from a pair of idex speakers to eminence (standard drivers . deltas i think) and they sounded better, (more punch /clearer). any one upgraded to better ie more expensive but same powered drivers and had a bad experience ? :wacko:

I've just looked at the price of the Kappa Pro 15a and they look to be around the £90 mark each. Might be worth looking at other manufacturers such as Fane or Celestion for alternatives. Celestion are giving good bang for buck at the moment but they still need to suit the boxes.

back to that voodoo , :bloodyhell: dont understand much of the technical details but i was thinking a 500rms speaker costing about £55 from class d to replace or 500 rms speaker costing nearly double should be better if you go on the get what you pay for way of thinking .

Eminence are ok if you're on a budget, even some of their more expensive drivers aren't bad. However it's usually the case that once you get up near the £100 mark and above there are better alternatives out there. That said, if an Eminence driver suits your cabs best then it'll be the best choice.

Also, don't forget to look at the Thiele Small parameters of the driver and more importantly the sensitivity. You may find a driver with a bit less power handling but 3db better sensitivity which will be louder on your amp than the current one.

Edited by norty303

At what frequency was that 101db/1w/1m measured?

Manufacturers have a habit of picking the highest number even if it doesn't fall within the normal operating range of the speaker.

However from looking at the graphs it appears that is within the usual range of the speaker (120hz-1.5khz)

Worth bearing in mind if comparing against others