Dj's United

How Valid Is My Warranty

My crossover unit has blown in the speaker,

i work on a 300W rms system and the speakers are perfectly matched

but the retailer says the coil has completly blown and its not his fault

who is in the right, can yoof u overdrive something which is matched in terms of power, i am confused, he wants 70 pounds and the speakers are only bought in august.

any help would be greatly appreciated, as im skint.

who is in the right, can yoof u overdrive something which is matched in terms of power, i am confused, he wants 70 pounds and the speakers are only bought in august.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

also he said it could have been because i didnt have my volumes on my amp right up to maximum. is he lying

any help would be greatly appreciated, as im skint.

if you overdrive a hair-dryer or a Ferrari it is you that is operating the product incorrectly lots of items have ratings and are matched but if used incorrectly you can still damage them if you have driven the amp into clipping and thats why the crossover has blown then i see his point to be honest.

the fact that you don't realise that you can damage items that are matched if you don't operate them correctly leads me to think you probably have done this damage by over driving them.

when it sounds distorted or the red lights flash or the punters ears bleed ..turn it down! lol

It is very much like a car a clutch is designed for say your car but if you drive like a loon you can burn out a clutch or a engine or a gear box ..but they are all matched to the car , it just depends how you drive it.

Edited by Robster
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

When I was working in the Pubs I had a pair of Martin Audio Speakers rated at 300W RMS @ 4 Ohms and was running it on a 250W a side @ 4 Ohms. A DJ Plugged into it with a Deck Mixer through my mixer and blew both units. The verdict was that the input stage was above the nominal rate specified for the amp. Cost me £1200 and i sold them for £60...Now that's an expensive Blowout...4 Fararri Tyres with wheels attached....lol

Never trust what specifications are...they are only a guide

wish you luck but warranty is for defective parts....i'm not sure whether it is a fault or due to Overloading....Maybe have to buy again....just takecare next time.

Regards

Kind Regards

Paul

Scunthorpe

Paul's Karaoke Entertainment

Big Screen Karaoke

We Aim To Please

Thanks for the info fellas, the main culprit was kids though, i think they turned it up while i went the toilet, the little swines were all over the stage at a christening.......dont know what they did, didnt think they could blow it though so ...,......also i wont buy rhino cheap spleakers again, think ive been ripped off personally, crossover shouldnt blow so easily, i always keep the red lights off

I'd say that the evidence is fairly clear that it has been misused if the coil on the crossover is burnt out. They don't do that on their own with too little power.

Sounds exactly what you would expect from a clipped amp - lucky no drivers went too (you have checked the drivers separately I take it?)

You could get a replacement crossover for about £30 or £40 and fit it yourself, they're readily available, its just choosing the most appropriate for the job.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

There are a couple of DJs on here that work in workshops and do these repairs day in day out.

Ok, I'm one of them!

Speaker (and amp for that matter) blow-ups are a tricky thing for us. An amp can be blown by a short circuit speaker cable, we repair and soak test it, it goes back, the customer plugs it into the faulty cable and it goes bang again. WHo is to blame? We end up doing the repair again under warranty.

It's the same with speakers. They are warrantied against faulty materials and workmanship; that is all. It is almost always patently obvious when one has been overdriven or the amp has been 'clipped'. If the voice coil or crossover has any 'melted' or 'overheated' evidence, then its been overdriven or abused. Most warranty speaker faults are things like dry joints or broken wires on crossovers, or rubbing voicecoils due to misalignment in manufacture. All these faults are as obvious to an engineer as a car tyre that has been 'kerbed' or an LCD TV with a crack in the glass.

So a free repair here is 'ex-gratia' and will depend on the dealer. You can always pay for a third-party investigation and then try to claim off the dealer if they find in your favour.