Dj's United

How Many Lasers Do You Use?

Just wondered whether 1 decent laser is enough or if people are using several on their rig?

i personally just use one decent laser, did look at buying a few cheaper ones but thought it would be better going for 1 gd one, the one i use is a eu lights gx 100, dont know if you still get them but having seen some cheaper models there is no comparison

After having seen UKHero's setup, I've just taken delivery of a Kam Star Cluster 3D.

I'm hoping it will look great.... but.....my first worry is that damn fiddly mic sensitivy adjustor. I'm guessing that once set it stays that way but trying to get it right in my "studio" (hah...the old dining room) is a pain. I guess you can over-sensitise ?

If anyone has any advice they are welcome as the Kam instructions are absolute rubbish

Please read the forum rules of conduct here namely :-

9) Do not substitute letters within vulgar/obscene/forbidden words with punctuation marks or other symbols. Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) parental software controls and School or Company networks still recognise many of the disguised words and may block access to the forum from their networks.

Teez

Edited by Dream Catchers

I have 5 lasers but normally only use 3 of them.

The 3 that I use are all computer controlled, the main one is full colour and my centre piece, mainly used for graphics and text. I then have one on both ends of my truss that are tri-colour and are used for beam shows.

Jim

After having seen UKHero's setup, I've just taken delivery of a Kam Star Cluster 3D.

I'm hoping it will look great.... but.....my first worry is that damn fiddly mic sensitivy adjustor. I'm guessing that once set it stays that way but trying to get it right in my "studio" (hah...the old dining room) is a pain. I guess you can over-sensitise ?

If anyone has any advice they are welcome as the Kam instructions are absolute rubbish

Please read the forum rules of conduct here namely :-

9) Do not substitute letters within vulgar/obscene/forbidden words with punctuation marks or other symbols. Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) parental software controls and School or Company networks still recognise many of the disguised words and may block access to the forum from their networks.

Teez

Oh :crap: :fan: Well that's me told!

It wasnt a substitution, I have one of these funny keyboards where the @ and the a are next to each other.... I'll have to resort to the approved smilies in future ?????

I get the school thing though and will refrain in future. Mind you, my kids know more swearwords than I do!!!

Teez :saint:

Thanks Teez for understanding.

Actually, the reason why we don't allow swear words is simples.

Yes, we do have minors who frequent the forum and yes they may know a lot of swear words...but if they access the forum whilst attending school, the school filters can kick in and hey presto, the forum get's banned and that can affect the forum status.

Best to use the emoticons - that's what they are there for!!!

Just wondered whether 1 decent laser is enough or if people are using several on their rig?

I'v never used one as yet but i was thinking of viewing some to see the effects. But I think Smoke is needed and I don't do smoke anymore so maybe it would be a fruitless exercise

Kind Regards

Paul

Scunthorpe

Paul's Karaoke Entertainment

Big Screen Karaoke

We Aim To Please

I have 5 lasers but normally only use 3 of them.

The 3 that I use are all computer controlled, the main one is full colour and my centre piece, mainly used for graphics and text. I then have one on both ends of my truss that are tri-colour and are used for beam shows.

Jim

That's alot Jim :pro:

• 3 weeks later...

I'v never used one as yet but i was thinking of viewing some to see the effects. But I think Smoke is needed and I don't do smoke anymore so maybe it would be a fruitless exercise

It is still worth considering a cluster type laser though as they work very well without smoke. Graphics lasers also give good effects on walls as they are basically projectors. Standard beam types are pretty boring without smoke though.......oh look a red line.....oh now it's green........now it's red....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Col

Graphics lasers also give good effects on walls as they are basically projectors.

Col

The off the shelf graphic lasers are also pretty boring, you tend to get a couple of dozen images that they can show and a handful of animations.

The images are of such things as footballs, flying ducks and roses, which normally will have little or no relevance to the music you are playing. Some of them will have an ILDA connector on them that allows you to send any graphics (in an ILDA compatible format) to the laser if you have some suitable interface and software (from as little as a couple of hundred quid, upto several thousand), however the cheaper graphics lasers will have optimised shows on their built in card that show OK on the laser, but the scanners (galvos) are too slow to do anything other than very basic frames.

Jim

Most people want plug N plag lasers.

I don't have time to program or DMX them.

I posted a video on youtube a couple of years ago, of a show that I put together to Kool & The Gangs Celebration.

The video doesn't do the laser any justice as the colours don't record very well and also it flickers as an artefact of the frame rate of recording.

It does give you an idea of what you can do with lasers if you invest in the correct kit.

This was originally done using Mamba Black with a MediaLas interface (about £500). I now use Pangolin hardware and software which is much much better, but also has a bigger price tag.

(BTW the laser is full colour and cost me knocking on £2k to build).

GDYWKbRNGKc

Jim

Edited by Dream Catchers

Never used a Laser but very interested, always worried that without smoke they wouldnt be worth the money but off to watch some Youtube vids now...

Liscio Discotheques

60s - Current In Surrey & Home Counties

www.liscio.co.uk