Dj's United

Environmental Health And The Power Of The Council

Eatery fined £20k for loud music

A BAR and restaurant in Molesey has been fined over £20,000 for disturbing residents by playing music too loudly in the early hours of the morning.

Latinos steak house and bar, in Walton Road, was taken to court by Elmbridge council on Thursday, October 15, after breaching three noise abatement notices in six months.

After receiving complaints from residents, Environmental health officers warned proprietor Antonio Mingoia three times that booming music coming from the bar was intrusive and unacceptable.

At Staines magistrates court a neighbour's statement was read out.

It said: "The volume of music coming from the premises every Friday and Saturday has become intolerable. I often lie in bed listening to the lyrics of the songs the DJ is playing and I can hear every word, as well as the thudding bass.

"Since the premises has become a night club in all but name, it has had a severe impact on our quality of life. My husband and I have discussed moving but we don't see why we should be bullied out. I do actually feel physically sick with the tension ahead of the weekend in anticipation of potential noise disturbances and feel relieved once the weekend has passed."

Mr Mingoia, who pleaded guilty to the three charges of breaching the notices was fined £3,000 for the first breach, £5,000 for the second and £7,000 for the third. He is also required to pay a victim surcharge of £15 and make a contribution to costs of £5,000.

Tony Deag, head of environmental health and licensing, at Elmbridge council, said: "We are seeing an increasing number of businesses moving to incorporate late night music and entertainment. While we have no problem with the business community doing this they need to ensure that local residents are not subjected to excessive levels of noise that prevent them from enjoying their family homes."

In June Mr Mingoia tried to extend his alcohol license from 2.00am to 3am but was turned down at a licensing committee.

Mr Mingoia did not wish to comment on the matter.

Home stripped of sound system by Environmental Health Officers

ENVIRONMENTAL health officers seized a woman's stereo and speakers following persistent complaints about noise nuisance.

Karen Brown, of Grouse Street, Cronkeyshaw, was blasting slow dance music so loudly it was making ornaments in neighbouring homes bounce off furniture.

Rochdale Magistrates issued a warrant on 14 October for the removal of noise making equipment from Mrs Brown's home.

Environmental health officers visited the house the following day and stripped it of its sound systems, including 2.5 ft surround sound speakers, a stereo, a large bass speaker and Sony iPod docking station.

Mrs Brown will have to pay the seizure cost of £384.01 if she wants the items back.

She has been warned that further breaches could lead to further seizures or even prosecution if new equipment is bought.

Andy Glover, public protection manager at Rochdale Council said: "Noise nuisance is a serious annoyance that can leave residents feeling miserable.

"It's unacceptable for such disruption to people's lives to continue which is why the council takes persistent complaints very seriously.

"Where we can, we will take action against inconsiderate perpetrators and bring relief to victims."

Mrs Brown received her first warning in May this year because the council had received complaints about loud music.

The complainant had been keeping a log of noisy incidents for month and environmental health officers decided it was time to assess the level of nuisance for themselves.

They witnessed two counts of noise nuisance and hand delivered a noise abatement notice to Mrs Brown on 13 July.

Despite efforts to resolve the problem the nuisance continued.

On a further three occasions the noise was so excessive it was making ornaments in the complainant's house vibrate.

Finally, the council applied for a warrant from Rochdale Magistrates.

The equipment will be kept in storage for 28 days and Mrs Brown will have to apply for it back by writing to the council.

Noise busters swoop to seize family's stereo

A MOTHER and son duo from a North Lincolnshire town who are accused of making their neighbours' lives a misery have had hundreds of pounds worth of sound equipment confiscated from their home.

Margaret Cochrane and her son Kris, from Uppleby Court, Barton-upon-Humber, are said to have disturbed neighbours since July this year.

North Lincolnshire Council said despite being served warnings, they continued to play loud music.

Cllr Len Foster, deputy leader of North Lincolnshire Council, said: "Let this act as a clear warning to others.

"We will, and do, take a very strong line on people who cause noise nuisance. Anti-social behaviour of this kind is inconsiderate and is totally avoidable.

"The selfishness of some residents to simply expect their neighbours to put up with their loud music is unacceptable, particularly like in this case, when the people causing the noise had been warned about their action."

The news has been welcomed by neighbour Michael Hall, 37, of Uppleby Court.

He said: "They have lived there for a year and they play loud music - rave music. It is difficult living next door to them. I think it is big success the council have taken away their property."

Years ago when CB radio was "illegal" it was self policed. I remember a few occasions when you got idiots that keyed their mic and played music all over CH19. They were soon sorted out by a gang of big blokes with baseball bats smashing their rig up. It didn't take as long as the EH and was very effective LOL

Much better that waiting for the authorities months on end doing investigations into playing music too load.

Jim

They were soon sorted out by a gang of big blokes with baseball bats smashing their rig up.

Glad I read that twice! I nearly felt compelled to purchase a Pro Dub Licence.