Dj's United

I hope someone can help me. I want to run two 4ohm subwoofers and two 8 ohm midrange speakers, but from 1 amplifier which will run to 4 ohms. The subs are 300w rms and the midrange speakers are 300w rms as well.

The amp is 300 watt per channel. The amp is a warrior is600. Can this be done? Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Bob

All stuck together with the finest DJ glue.

Ladiees an gennelmennn....the buffet is now open.

Well...it could...but I really wouldnt.

You could connect the bass cabs in series (to give 8 ohms) then connect them to one amp channel. Then you could connect the two top cabs in parallel (to give 4 ohms) and then connect it to the other amp channel.

But given what a small amp you've got, you'd really be struggling unless you're just holding tea dances at the Darby and Joan club or something.

You really need an extra amp.

Oh dear!! Darby and Joan club it is then! Only joking! Thanks for your help, i thought as much. I am a little ignorant when it comes to ohms and all that. I was originally running 4 x 8 ohm cabs off the one amp which worked ok for the size of venues that i regularly do (sub 150 people). The sound quality has never been the best i must admit, and now i have got my hands on some decent speakers i thought i would be looking at either a better (or adding) an amp. Could i buy a single amp that would do what i want? I am just thinking about space really.

ta

You could, but again it would be a compromise because a)you would need an amp that could run a 2 ohm load and b)it would be running at almost full load like this and c)if it blew up mid-gig you'd wish you'd got 2 amps after all and d) A decent amp that can cope with less than 4 ohms tends to be dear.

If you definitely wanted a single amp then I'd parallel one top with one bass and put it on one channel, then do the same with the other bass & top on the other; that way you still get stereo (which does make a difference to the quality in most venues) and the amp would have a 2.7ohm load per channel.; so you'd need a 2-ohm-capable amplifier sized to give at least 800W per channel at 2ohms..this would be a dear purchase compared to your current Warrior plus another.

:D Thanks for your help on this, listened to everybodys advice and bought another amp today. Also picked up my new speakers. So, am now running a pair of 300watt RMS 600watt Max AC Euro mid range speakers from the Warrior IS600 amp and a pair of Behringer 300watt 600 watt Max RMS subs from a KAM 1500 watt amplifier. That should do the trick! The AC Euros are 8 ohm speakers and the Behringer subs are 4 ohm. Have just finished fitting the new amp in my Gator Case, looks nice and full in there now!! Numark twin CD player, W Audio Twin Radio Mike, Behringer VMX1000 mixer, Warrior IS600 watt amp and KAM KXR1500 amp. Only drawback now is that i need to join a gym so i can lift it all...................... :Thumbup:

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Does it sound ok?

Sorry for the delay in replying, i managed to check it all out the other night at my residency midweek while the function room was empty. It sounds absolutely fantastic. Clear, punchy, no distortion, good low bass if required.

Did my first gig with it last Friday at a venue i sometimes do which is notorious for soaking up sound from PA systems. When the party was in full swing i put on a " going to the bog extended mix of whatever" song on and it sounded superb out on the dance floor. Best purchase i have made in a long time to be fair.

Only drawback is that my Gator 19" Rack Case with 2 amps, twin CD player and VMX1000 mixer and radio mike transmitter in it is now very very heavy!!! So have now bought a new trolley cos old one cried enough the other night!