Dj's United

hey all,

right ive got a pair of kam ims15's and one cab sounds dead deap and distorted and the other is all top,

anywho i took the drivers out which are fine and found there were two dogy crossovers fitted,

but ive got a party on sat and i dont have the money for new crossovers, can i by-pass them just for now? to get a smoother sound just until i can get hold of a matching pair?

If you wire straight to each driver, bypassing the crossovers, you'll be sending a full range signal to each.

That might not be quite so bad for the mid/bass units but it will likely destroy the tops, which will be designed to handle a much smaller wattage.

You would do better to hire a pair of speakers until you can fix the KAMs.

The symptoms suggest a top driver gone in one cab and a mid/bass gone in the other, rather than failed crossovers.

Have you overdriven either cab?

If you wire straight to each driver, bypassing the crossovers, you'll be sending a full range signal to each.

That might not be quite so bad for the mid/bass units but it will likely destroy the tops, which will be designed to handle a much smaller wattage.

You would do better to hire a pair of speakers until you can fix the KAMs.

The symptoms suggest a top driver gone in one cab and a mid/bass gone in the other, rather than failed crossovers.

Have you overdriven either cab?

the top does work but its had a nasty looking crossover fitted which is a lower spec than the other one so low power on the top, it does work fine. there compression drivers, im only using a 1000wat amp with them & i havent overdriven them

would it be ok for now though? if i keep the volume lowish?

Having a small amp can damage the drives very easily.

With a small amp you tend to overdrive the amp, if the signal is constantly clipping you are effectively feeding the speaker with DC during the clipping, a sure fire way of wrecking the coil in the speaker.

Jim

Having a small amp can damage the drives very easily.

With a small amp you tend to overdrive the amp, if the signal is constantly clipping you are effectively feeding the speaker with DC during the clipping, a sure fire way of wrecking the coil in the speaker.

Jim

the amps never clipped with it the speakers are 350watt RMS and my 1000watt amp puts out 300watt a side :) so thats perfect, i never put my ssyetm, into the orange on the mixer never mind the red! :)

the amps never clipped with it the speakers are 350watt RMS and my 1000watt amp puts out 300watt a side :) so thats perfect, i never put my ssyetm, into the orange on the mixer never mind the red! :)

Is the 300 watts a side RMS if so the amp would be a 600 wattRMS. I am a little confused about where the 1000 watts come from but never mind....

If the crossover has blown solution is to replace the crossovers.

If you were to link the Bullets to the Bass drivers you would end up blowing the bullets as their power rating would be much lower that the bass driver.

If I were in your situation I would hire a pair of speakers to cover the event then repair the faulty pair at my leisure. If you were to use them as they are you could end up spending even more of your hard earned cash on more replacement parts.

Whats more your reputation is on the line if they were to fail during the event which could result in you having to refund the client and possibly compensation as well.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Don't leave everything to the last minute! If the function is tonight, is it worth putting the entertainment 'at risk' with the speakers?

Why not hire / ask someone to assist with speakers for peace of mind. You have your reputation to consider, no? smile icon

Don't leave everything to the last minute! If the function is tonight, is it worth putting the entertainment 'at risk' with the speakers?

Why not hire / ask someone to assist with speakers for peace of mind. You have your reputation to consider, no? smile icon

sorted, i do have another pair so i used the 4, ive had both of the drivers and horns out and tested spertaly and they all work, ive sorted the problem now....

BAR............

the top on one speaker is excesivly high! i mean really high! any ideas?

perhaps you could tell us how youve "sorted" the problem to help us in the future?

i just swapped the two drivers round, as one is a bass bin driver and one is a normal one(they were like that when i bought them, got them for a bargain too!) worked an absoulte treat bar the top on one is excessively loud and always has been since ive had them.

im really confused by these Kam IMS15's. One is a bass cab and the other is a top cab? One of them is not an IMS15 then?

so swapping the drivers around made both of them work fine? Or just one of them?

ahhh sorry, i must of explained it badly,

there both top speakers but once was fitted with a 4ohm bass bin driver and with a dodgy crossover, so i swapped the drivers over and they sound fab now bar the top on one is really excessive! :)

This thread seems to be going crazy places. The only way you'll get your KAM IMS15 speakers to sound right is to get them back to how they were designed. The proper drivers and the proper crossovers. The crossover (and hence the cabinet as a whole) will not work properly without the correct bass driver and if this is not even the right impedance then how can it properly split the frequencies and power share?

If you have a 4ohm woofer then you need a 4ohm crossover. If you have an 8 ohm woofer (as I believe will be fitted to the IMS15) then you need an 8 ohm (ie original) crossover. The crossover in these plastic cabs will be voiced to suit the cabinet as well as the drivers.

Some third-party crossovers have both 4 and 8 ohm tappings but this is not always the case; the Kam ones wont.

If I were you I'd give it up as a bad job, you can probably pick-up something working properly for less than it will cost to return these to correct order.

I have a pair of the Ims pro 15 with both drivers blown. Any recommednations on where to pick up replacement drivers? They would suffice for backup then. thanks

Edited by sweetie