Dj's United

Would You Accept Or Decline?

Wedding Disco Enquiry  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This will really depend on how the DJ views their business.. It is a bit of "fun", or 100% business with a view to making large profits?

I'd estimate this gig would require at least 10hrs of work on the day (8hrs music+setup/pack-up+driving)

That is still £20/hr gross income (probably less if its not local).

This is above what I am paid for my day job, AND I cannot claim commuting costs back.

Based on that- is it still a good earner? Possibly, if you just want to earn money (with no investment, or longer view).

If you add in the other costs of running a business (internet/phone/marketing/replacement gear etc) it all chips away, leaving very little left as actual profit.

These other costs are usually hidden, especially if the accounting is casual! (this does not mean deliberately dishonest!)

The insurance, fuel, music are all deductible from the fee, leaving a lower tax bill that I face on my day job.

When you take into account client meets/phone calls/emails required to get a typical wedding service - you can see how the additional time will add up.

For the £200 wedding gig, we need to compare it against what we'd normally charge for those times.

Good points Jas.

The other side to this that seems to have been missed is we only have a finite amount of sat nights in the whole year last count was 52. As we all know there is a wedding season in that where bookings are more plentiful and the old supply and demand thing comes in. And is this where the I'll take the gig

While there may indeed only be a specific amount of weekends available to work throughout the year, if income dictates that you need beyond 52 weekend nights work, because you do not have enough income to live on, there are still 313 other nights potentially still available! LOL!

Generally speaking, if anyone finds there just isn't enough DJ work available, client budgets are way too low, then maybe its time to re-evaluate your position and consider other avenues, tap other markets that are perhaps more consistent and financially pleasing and worthwhile?

If you find yourself in agreement and judge the value of own service to be lower than what it actually is, have been accepting lower fees and undertaking work you're essentialy unhappily with, read vokf's post above again and then consider carefully how you view and consider your business. It never hurts to take a step back now and again. smile icon

With regard to my original question and some of the interesting comments so far, I can honestly admit I have DJ'd for less than what I state on the website, but the devil is always in the details of course. :rolleyes:

For example, over the years, as well as pass on work, I've provided emergency disco cover for DJs and members of the forum who have been ill or invariably, double-booked!

Although I'd include a Wedding Reception Photography service (bundled with my Wedding Disco service) and have happily included when providing wedding disco cover, I've obviously not provided any additional services such as karaoke, up-lighting or a video disco, as I've never chosen to bundle these extras in with my own main disco service!

Diversity in any sector is good and competition can be healthy for business, but I dictate my service price. Regardless of the day of the week, month or season, you all know the philosophy I adhere to - I'm a business, not a charity. I personally wouldn't let someone tell me what I'm going to charge any more than I would charge a client far less 'out of season' for same service charged to a client 'peak season' - besides, people seem to get married all year round these days, and I have no doubt that Wedding requirements during Summer can be just as much as Wedding requirements during Spring, Autumn or Winter! LOL!

why is it always seen as charging more for peak times when infant it could be seen as giving a discount out of season and off peak. I see some weekends in the year as being most sort after as a business am I not justified in selling at my full price where as other weeks people are not so keen to book so I offer a discount. Surely this is good business practise as I too am not a charity

Nik

Doh silly me....

But the rest of my previous post would be interesting to debate i think.

Nik

why is it always seen as charging more for peak times when infant it could be seen as giving a discount out of season and off peak. I see some weekends in the year as being most sort after as a business am I not justified in selling at my full price where as other weeks people are not so keen to book so I offer a discount. Surely this is good business practise as I too am not a charity

Nik

Nik, because you've already stated that you would turn the booking down, maybe your additional questions do deserve debate / Poll led in a separate topic? smile icon

There is offering discounts and underselling. With all the spec that they have asked for and the value of all the equipment needed would you really do it?

as vokf said £20 per hour - sounds good but put it in perspective - tot up the cost of all your gear - have you got all that back - consider the true running costs including vehicle service mot insurance etc etc. Ni & Tax.

i know its hard to summise a true take home figure but i can guarantee its nowhere near £20 per hour. also consider that we often get gigs off the back of another. Imagine you put on an amazing show and several guests ask for business cards. Next thing the phone rings and somebody wants exactly the same - How much.......you did Joe Bloggs for £200. Not a situation i would like to be in.

With regards to quiet periods i have yet to see a busy or quiet wedding period. in July i cant recall doing any weddings yet feb 2010 i have 3 booked which seems unusual.

If it was a venue asking then things may be different. I would do a discounted first gig and really go ott to impress.

Overall it can be a gamble - take the work guarantee the income or wait and a bigger fish may come along. I did that at Halloween - several calls for kids parties/pub gigs which i would struggle to get a decent rate. last minute (10 days to go) i secure a £200 gig for 5 hours work.

saying that NYE is not happening i have turned away loads of enquiries as the highest offer was £200 and so far im not working.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

NO WAY

I would not even entertain that number of hours for that price! Let alone the spec! :shrug:

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

I would turn the gig down but then again I dont DJ full time and every gig I do has to be worth my time, my full time job is commission based so I have to work out what I could make from spending the time doing that...

Liscio Discotheques

60s - Current In Surrey & Home Counties

www.liscio.co.uk

• 1 month later...