Dj's United

Numark Cdmix2

A year ago ( just out of guarantee) I bought a new Numark CDMIX2 as I was looking to replace my heavy Kam box and mixer decks with something much lighter. My back could not cope with lugging the Kam box about, especially up stairs.

It's now started playing up, not reading CD's on deck 1 when I first turn it on. After a while it sees them but in the mean time you are sweating as to if it will work or not!

Deck 2 developed the ability to skip on random basis creating the effect of a scratched record from the good old days.

Any suggestions? Next weekend is start of silly season with about 15 discos booked before Christmas. I need a light weight system similar to the Numark in weight.

Now I know some will say, get this XXXX its excellent and costs £1000! Not sure I can go that far budget wise. :wacko:

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

A year ago ( just out of guarantee) I bought a new Numark CDMIX2 as I was looking to replace my heavy Kam box and mixer decks with something much lighter. My back could not cope with lugging the Kam box about, especially up stairs.

It's now started playing up, not reading CD's on deck 1 when I first turn it on. After a while it sees them but in the mean time you are sweating as to if it will work or not!

Deck 2 developed the ability to skip on random basis creating the effect of a scratched record from the good old days.

Any suggestions? Next weekend is start of silly season with about 15 discos booked before Christmas. I need a light weight system similar to the Numark in weight.

Now I know some will say, get this XXXX its excellent and costs £1000! Not sure I can go that far budget wise. :wacko:

I had one of these units as a back-up machine. I never did need to use it and decided to sell it on after about 2 years.

When I checked it I had a similar problem to yours - 1 deck not reading discs.

I took it to my local TV/Video/Satellite/CD Player/Electrical retailer/repair shop.

The laser pickup was replaced for £35 all in.

I'm not sure if was a specific or generic part but it was obtained quckly and I had the unit back within 3 days, in full working order.

That same shop has repaired lighting effects and a mixer for me.

I had one of these units as a back-up machine. I never did need to use it and decided to sell it on after about 2 years.

When I checked it I had a similar problem to yours - 1 deck not reading discs.

I took it to my local TV/Video/Satellite/CD Player/Electrical retailer/repair shop.

The laser pickup was replaced for £35 all in.

I'm not sure if was a specific or generic part but it was obtained quckly and I had the unit back within 3 days, in full working order.

That same shop has repaired lighting effects and a mixer for me.

Thanks, Wheres the shop? I wonder if they repair by post?

www.swingcats.co.uk

Thanks, Wheres the shop? I wonder if they repair by post?

In the village I live in - in Cambridgeshire and I doubt it!

The point here is that any competent and experienced technician used to repairing, say, domestic CD players, should be able to do the job of replacing lasers.

Surely you must have one like that in your nearest big town?

It's possible they may have become misaligned, in which case realignment should cost less than replacement.

My local shop even repaired an old Studiomaster 1600D amp for me ( I tracked down the required replacement module) although they decided a C-Audio Pulse 1100 was a bit too much for them.

they decided a C-Audio Pulse 1100 was a bit too much for them

Well they're ok for me, did one last week!

The chances are the lasers are either dirty or worn out, Numark tend to use particularly short-lived Sony-pattern lasers. They can be replaced like for like but they'll only enjoy a similar, just-out-of-warranty lifespan. You can also obtain genuine Sony lasers (probably the KSS240 or 213) for a few quid more that are rather better.

Well they're ok for me, did one last week!

The chances are the lasers are either dirty or worn out, Numark tend to use particularly short-lived Sony-pattern lasers. They can be replaced like for like but they'll only enjoy a similar, just-out-of-warranty lifespan. You can also obtain genuine Sony lasers (probably the KSS240 or 213) for a few quid more that are rather better.

Thaks for that, interesting, I will find out what part is fitted and see about getting new ones.

Cheers Chris :Thumbup:

www.swingcats.co.uk

very common problem with all numark players

the laser is supplied by numark, citronic and american dj, as they all use the same part for most (not all) of their players. its basically the entire cd mechanism inside which has the laser attached. the whole thing comes out and the new transport slots in

any competant dealer should get this fixed on 2 day turnaround, its very very easy

Edited by Bouncy Dancefloor

If you feel able to do the job yourself the optical pick ups are pretty cheap and no special tools are needed.

The sledge is easily removed, normally just a couple of screws to release the runners, and a push on ribbon cable.

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/42414074.jpg

CPC have quite a good range of spares.

I'm sure one of the lads that knows which laser it uses will post a part number for it :Thumbup:

Jim

If you feel able to do the job yourself the optical pick ups are pretty cheap and no special tools are needed.

The sledge is easily removed, normally just a couple of screws to release the runners, and a push on ribbon cable.

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/42414074.jpg

CPC have quite a good range of spares.

I'm sure one of the lads that knows which laser it uses will post a part number for it :Thumbup:

Jim

Thanks Newmark give a parts number as 705-HDJ201-852

£40 from them, they only have 3 in the repair shop today!

www.swingcats.co.uk

Thanks Newmark give a parts number as 705-HDJ201-852

£40 from them, they only have 3 in the repair shop today!

If I'm not mistaken thats the whole transport, not just the laser bit (which is probably the broken bit)...

http://www.numark.com/content55613.html

http://www.numark.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/5/a2d572f94f615269d17bf96cbc5380de/medium/705_hdj201_852.jpg

Cheers,

David

edit: added image, Jim.

Edited by Dream Catchers

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Replacing the transport is not economically viable.

The best thing with these is to replace the CD mech assembly, this includes the optical block, spindle motor and sled motor. In sony-pattern systems it is known as a KSM module. You have to get the numbers right otherwise the cd clamp may not operate correctly or at the right height, the suspension may not be right etc.

These are anything from 3 quid for chinese-junk grade to 18 quid for a branded unit. Allow 40 quid labour at least to fit as the CDMIX2 console is a fiddle to get into.

http://www.ahg-electronic.de/images/KSM2101ADM-Mech.JPG

Well this is all way above my head but I'm feeling reassured by having backed up this Saturdays entire gig (except for requests) on my USB stick with only 2% of its memory used up :sweatdrop:

numark ones are about 35-40 to buy (the whole transport)

you can buy off Skytronic, Gemini or American DJ cheaper!! Same transport!

Or just get the pickup on its own - 15 odd quid I saw on ebay (based on superstardeejay's previous part numbers)!.

I remember the pickup in my Dad's technics CD player cost about 100 quid to replace - this was about 15 years ago or so now!

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I have this model for 2 years now and it has served me very well. Touch wood..! :hide: However sometimes (rare) the odd CD doesnt read quickly for some reason. I just leave it and move on to the next one but yes sweaty moments..!! THe cd's could be the problem

Yes could be, I'm going to try cleaning the heads as well, got a cleaner kit at the pound shop! We are often so busy on the night that cleaning things like CD's never gets done! :hphone:

www.swingcats.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Have considered the numark 2/3 for our first set up within our community centre, however reading this asks questions of reliability after 1year, unless its down to the number of gigs it has done i.e triple figures not a dozen, then the carrying to and fro, in and out of transport.

we are looking at doing about 12 discos a year but also 2-3 hrs a week with the older youths who wish to learn about DJing, mixing, music

we wont be doing external gigs at the moment just community events so all we need to do is pack up and place in our storage room, may even get our chippy to knock up trolleys for ease.

or should we find a more robust unit any ideas welcome,

Have considered the numark 2/3 for our first set up within our community centre, however reading this asks questions of reliability after 1year, unless its down to the number of gigs it has done i.e triple figures not a dozen, then the carrying to and fro, in and out of transport.

we are looking at doing about 12 discos a year but also 2-3 hrs a week with the older youths who wish to learn about DJing, mixing, music

we wont be doing external gigs at the moment just community events so all we need to do is pack up and place in our storage room, may even get our chippy to knock up trolleys for ease.

or should we find a more robust unit any ideas welcome,

I was was installing in-house gear i would be heading for a Denon. :D

could you please define inhouse

my veiw of inhouse means fixed/ booth at the moment we cant as we dont manage the building we are only hall users we are trying to convince the Town Council that our group could manage the building and run it a lot better than they do.

prime example if we had a key to open and close the doors it would save them £3500 a year in getting someone to come and do it we have lots of members within the community that wish to get involved and they are retired and looking for something to do.

as for your suggestion of a Denon looking through different websites hopefully you meant mixer as the packages are out of our price range unless you know a very good supplier

if we went down the mixer route maybe but it depends on cost and which deck we should consider

Thanks for the suggestion Iam looking for different things its just making the decision that we can afford at the end of the day