Dj's United

Numark Cdn88s - Strange Issues

Hello all,

I hope you are all well and looking forward to the busy season!

I am having seemingly unexplainable problems with my Numark CDN88s.

I purchase a number of my songs through Itunes and then rip them to CD, the CD players do not seem to read the discs, but they work in other CD players including my Pioneers and my home stereo.

I have tried converting all songs to MP3 and then I get the same results.

I could put it down to the CDs being Burned but the Numarks do play most copied CDs and have done for the years I have had them.

A similar problem developed with them about 6 months ago, I sent them back to the company I got them from and they sent me a brand new set (i think) and now I am having the same issue

Any help is greatly received

John

Liscio Discotheques

60s - Current In Surrey & Home Counties

www.liscio.co.uk

Hello all,

I hope you are all well and looking forward to the busy season!

I am having seemingly unexplainable problems with my Numark CDN88s.

I purchase a number of my songs through Itunes and then rip them to CD, the CD players do not seem to read the discs, but they work in other CD players including my Pioneers and my home stereo.

I have tried converting all songs to MP3 and then I get the same results.

I could put it down to the CDs being Burned but the Numarks do play most copied CDs and have done for the years I have had them.

A similar problem developed with them about 6 months ago, I sent them back to the company I got them from and they sent me a brand new set (i think) and now I am having the same issue

Any help is greatly received

John

Sounds very similar to the issues I am having with the CDMIX2

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

Does it happen with all CD-Rs or specific ones? Have you tried a different brand of CD-R ? (And do you close the disc off propertly with the software, some CD-players have massive fits if the disc isn't closed propertly).

Cheers

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Thanks for the reply David, will have a look at the different brands to see if there is an issue...

Also closing a disc, I use Windows Media normally, maybe I should try Nero or something like that?

Liscio Discotheques

www.liscio.co.uk

Thanks for the reply David, will have a look at the different brands to see if there is an issue...

Also closing a disc, I use Windows Media normally, maybe I should try Nero or something like that?

Shouldn't make a difference really, but Nero (and other more dedicated CD/dvd writing software) can give finer control over your Burn Speeds etc...

If there's an option in media player to burn as "Disc At Once" (or DAO), Then use that too (burns disc in one go, and avoids the 2s pre-gap between tracks).

I've got NTI CD & DVD Maker 7, which came free with the Acer laptop - its not bad for what I use it for (Burning ISO's mainly).

Cheers

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

RecordNow Plus is free software and works well. Not that I ever copy discs, heaven forbid!

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

Dont think they are particularly weaker, there is a spec they have to conform to in order to use the 'Compact Disc' logo. How long they hold that spec for varies widely!

Different makes of laser (optical blocks) wear faster than others and fail to read or track discs sooner than others.

And different decoders use different types of error correction with differing results if the data's not perfect for whatever reason eg dirty disc or badly burned.

If the machine used to work great when new then doesnt anymore then it's either dirty, faulty or worn somehow! But now I'm stating the obvious!

This may or may not help but I had a very similar problem with my cdmix3 player. Stuff that I had recorded and used for years would not play or skipped badly. I solved it by re-recording the tracks on to different make blank discs and burned them at a slower speed. They have worked fine for the last two years or more since. Interestingly the old discs will play on my cheap back up deck no problem.

Hope this is of use - Mick

• 4 months later...

Still having the same problem guys & girls.

I sent the Decks back to the dealer and got a brand new set sent back but I am having the same problems as before.

All of my CDs work on the Older pioneers, some will work on the Numarks and then stop working after 20-30 mins of using the CD Players, some work after taking around 60 seconds to read the disc and some dont recognise the disc at all.

I have tried different makes of CD and there doesnt seem to be a common pattern.

Considering just getting a refund and purchasing some other CD players, Pioneers seem to be twice the price, any suggestions?

Liscio

Liscio Discotheques

www.liscio.co.uk

Just skimmed through and I don't think this has been mentioned - have you tried burning on a slower speed?

In my experience some players have trouble recognising discs that have been burned at high speed, especially if your burner is getting on a bit. I don't use cd's in my playout but my technics home stereo sometimes throws a hissy fit with a cd burned at 52x

My home system seems happiest with a maximum 24x burn so I would recommend you try burning a disc at the slowest possible speed your writer supports and test it out. If it proves ok you can gradually increase speed to find your maximum stable write speed.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

Have you tried making a new CD on a different computer then trying that?

Thanks for the suggestion, we have used certainly 3 or more different Laptops, will also try my PC, the problem is that at the start everything can work fine and appear to solve the problem until about 30 mins use

Just skimmed through and I don't think this has been mentioned - have you tried burning on a slower speed?

In my experience some players have trouble recognising discs that have been burned at high speed, especially if your burner is getting on a bit. I don't use cd's in my playout but my technics home stereo sometimes throws a hissy fit with a cd burned at 52x

My home system seems happiest with a maximum 24x burn so I would recommend you try burning a disc at the slowest possible speed your writer supports and test it out. If it proves ok you can gradually increase speed to find your maximum stable write speed.

Thanks for the suggestion, I remember trying this and it having no effect, I need to do some more testing though

Liscio Discotheques

www.liscio.co.uk