Dj's United

The New Name In Djing For Residency Work?

Been hearing the following quite a lot this week.

The new 'DJ' name is .... 'one of the regulars'.

Anyone heard similar?

luckily no ! but that's how a lot of DJ's do start off ,(i was a regular and then became cover for the KJ) I've seen a lot try in other venues and a lot fail , they realised it wasn't for them ...as we know for a lot of jobs , it has to suit your personality and your own skills.

some people are in love of the idea of being a DJ but when they do the job they fall out of love with the idea.

But in these hard times venues do look for cost cutting options , everyone in business has to justify every workers existence in that business and value.

this doesnt help existing DJ's while they try out a regular.. but i feel if your not going stale and are constantly trying to improve , constantly trying new things, constantly working with the venue to promote them and are loyal then you are doing all you can and worrying about your job would be a waste of your energy and time , staying positive is a skill a DJ needs too.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

I have mixed feelings about this one.

I was a 'regular' in my local and when the time came to do a birthday party for my girlfriend I was asked if I'd do the music. So I rented some kit from Wolverhampton and had a great night (all for free of course). It all came back to me after 20 years and all my friends pushed me into taking it up again. (I must have been doing something right!)

So I went out and bought all the kit, started marketing, got some gigs and continue to grow the business including a regular spot (paid) at the same pub.

Now I'm DJ'ing, the same pub has given two one-off slots to two other 'amateur' DJ's who want the exposure and will do it for free. We'll see how it goes but I'm not holding my breath.

DJ'ing is a bit like most trades. There is little 'barrier to entry' (to quote a management guru) and there will always be a large pool of cheap starters. It's whether or not they raise themselves to the next level and most will fail.

I believe that the law of the jungle will pervail. The good DJ's will survive, the bad ones won't last. And it's not just skill. As mentioned in other threads it's also about getting out there and interacting with the market.

PC's and iTunes will increase the number of beginners and yes it may draw down the average fee but ultimately the best will survive.

One of the best business quotes I have ever heard and try to use in real life is

"Go where the competition can't follow"

I think that is really self explanatory and a good one to use.

:amen:

Teez :tree:

I do about 5 or 6 pub gigs a year. These are mainly for my local. I guess this is an easy way to getting work, you know the regulars and the type of music they're into.

I've actually been the "new DJ" - the old regular DJ does not get much work now - I'm trying to get the landlord to chat with him to share the work - we both play different styles, so I think there is enough room for both of us.

The guy would do very well to join DJU!

When a new DJ approaches the pub, if he's taken on, I doubt it will be down to money. The landlord is very well organised and likes to book entertainment (2 acts per week) at the end of the year - he likes to know its in hand and generally won't swap dates or mess people around.

If I lost my gigs - it would be down to my providing poor nights, or a more general down-turn in entertainment budget (so no entertainment on my nights)

That said, some nights are quiet, and I doubt he's making money on having the singers or myself in. This Friday was Karaoke, and until 11:30, there were only 3 singers and about 15 people in the pub. Last year, the place would have been packed.

We all started somewhere. When times are hard, its easy for landlords to offer a break to a newbie - esp for free.

Offering things for free is not a good start, and unfortunately most new DJ's are not business people and simply want to get out there and play.

The better landlords are a bit more astute and getting in poor entertainment will not pay for itself and for a bit more work and money they could make the entertainment work for them.

For me, I don't rely on pub work. Most bookings are private and so if the pub closed or hired in another regular then it will be a shame, but simply more opportunity to work higher paying private gigs on those nights.

That said, I do enjoy playing the pub - all other gigs are about pleasing the bride/birthday person, but when I'm in the pub, I can sweep punk/ska/house/rock and even a few silly tunes without worrying too much.