Dj's United

Jb Systems Ax700 Amplifier Help Please.......

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me. I've got an AX700 amp and it does nee werk. The electrician looking at it in New Zealand said it has 2 electrical components blown which they can get easily but the MAJOR isue is the power supply which they cannot find any where to source one.

As I'm in NZ I dont fancy my chances. I will give these guys below a call but not sure if they'll help too much unless I want to buy a new one (which I dont) http://www.terralec.co.uk/power_amplifiers...ck/15680_p.html

Any ideas/referrals would be greatly appreciated

cheers

It doesnt use a power supply, it runs straight from the mains.

Are you sure he told you that?

Isn't there an internal PSU - or is more of a Toroidal transformer, couple of bridge rectifiers and some massive caps for the main Amplifier supply rails and +/- 15v for the op amps/logic?

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Yes of course but these are part of a circuit board and arent really available seperately.

so am I snookered then? I can only see one place to buy an AX700 and thats with terralec for 188 quid. Obviously would cost a hell of a lot more with shipping. Too much to pay out really.

Has anyone any other ideas? I just spoke to the company that was looking at iut and said it needs a "New Power transformer for the AX700" Any ideas/comments/suggestions?

cheers

Edited by treen74

I'm puzzled as to the purpose of your post. Are you after advice on how to repair one, or do you just want a new one?

Repairing an amp by fitting a new circuit board will not be economical. If the board is beyond repair then so is the amp.

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me. I've got an AX700 amp and it does nee werk. The electrician looking at it in New Zealand said it has 2 electrical components blown which they can get easily but the MAJOR isue is the power supply which they cannot find any where to source one.

As I'm in NZ I dont fancy my chances. I will give these guys below a call but not sure if they'll help too much unless I want to buy a new one (which I dont) http://www.terralec.co.uk/power_amplifiers...ck/15680_p.html

Any ideas/referrals would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Terralec is the UK distributor for JB Systems as well as a retailer. The JB Systems brand is one of a number marketed all over Europe by Beglec - www.beglec.com - in the Netherlands.

The OP says he's from New Zealand

And the only source he could find is Terralec - not in New Zealand.

Having the brand owner's details may help him, even though they're not in New Zealand either.

Edited by spinner

JB Systems are imported into the UK by Terralec, but are handled in different countries by different distributors.

The main European supplier of JB Systems is Begelec NV of Holland.

Was the amp a grey import into NZ?

JB Systems are imported into the UK by Terralec, but are handled in different countries by different distributors.

The main European supplier of JB Systems is Begelec NV of Holland.

Was the amp a grey import into NZ?

I brought the gear down when I moved from the UK to NZ.

I found out that it needs a new oval transformer (as opposed to a round one). It has 700w on it. I asked terralec in the UK and they quoted me 55 quid. I rang beglec in Holland (or belgium - not sure) and he said they were 28 euro. I just hope I can get it for he latter as there are no "distributors" down here (south africa is the closest but its still too far)

Ill keep you posted. Thanks for your help so far

I brought the gear down when I moved from the UK to NZ.

I found out that it needs a new oval transformer (as opposed to a round one). It has 700w on it. I asked terralec in the UK and they quoted me 55 quid. I rang beglec in Holland (or belgium - not sure) and he said they were 28 euro. I just hope I can get it for he latter as there are no "distributors" down here (south africa is the closest but its still too far)

Ill keep you posted. Thanks for your help so far

:wall: Now I have a problem !!!!!!!!!! I just spoke to a director at begelec and he said the transformer weighs about 5kg and would cost over 100 euro to send to New zealand from Brussels - am I snookered ?????????????

:wall:

:wall: Now I have a problem !!!!!!!!!! I just spoke to a director at begelec and he said the transformer weighs about 5kg and would cost over 100 euro to send to New zealand from Brussels - am I snookered ?????????????

Its coming up at about 50-60 quid for FedEx from UK to NZ - This is with one of the cheaper parcel courier resellers here.. :(

DJ David Graham

There may be a less expensive method of sending the part.

By coincidence I sold a book on Ebay recently to someone in NZ. Normally I would use a courier but the price £40 was prohibitive. I sent it by surface mail for £14.

I don't know if the same might apply when coming from Brussels but it could be worth investigating.

By coincidence I sold a book on Ebay recently to someone in NZ. Normally I would use a courier but the price £40 was prohibitive. I sent it by surface mail for £14.

I don't know if the same might apply when coming from Brussels but it could be worth investigating.

I hope there is a cheaper option out there because for a package containing the transformer measuring 25x10x10cm and weighing 5.56kg - Fedex belgium quoted me 283 euro and DHL quoted about the same.......

:wall: :wall: :wall:

You'll also need to pay customs charges coming into NZ. These are usually handled by the courier and then the courier charges you COD plus their own admin fee for having done the transaction.

It might be cheaper to get a new amp!

Details of NZ 'GST' tax:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/nr/rdonlyres/41...factsheet28.pdf

Edited by superstardeejay

Books are classed as "printed papers" So you can send these by normal post up to 5kg (from the UK). Transformers on the other hand don't have much printed paper about them!

If you go direct to fedex / DHL it *will* cost you a (lot) more - Its best to go via a middleman type company who buys a set of "delivery slots" at much cheaper prices and pass on the savings to the general public. (The UK has quite a few of them, one of them is based in the same town where Jim and I live!)

I think the best option is to write off the amp and buy another one - at least you'll get a warranty period with the new one, and covered under NZ terms, etc. You could repair the transformer only to find that a week later half of the mosfet's go bang and you're back to square one...

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Books are classed as "printed papers" So you can send these by normal post up to 5kg (from the UK). Transformers on the other hand don't have much printed paper about them!

That's not the point. This was a heavy book and packets can still be sent quite cheaply by surface mail, although they can take up to 56 days to reach their destination.

I think the best option is to write off the amp and buy another one

That's probably the best advice.