Dj's United

Budget Speakers You Can Trust?

Hi Guys, not a DJ, but my brother is in a small band (rock/indie type music) and looking to buy a pair of speakers for vocal reinforcement. only have around 180watts rms into 8 ohms per channel, and looking at buying a pair of speakers with 12" drivers + horn.

Are the cheap brands like Kam, Class D, Skytec, Gemini any good?

a friend has a pair of gemini GT-1002's, and whilst they sound ok in a small-ish room (or as stage monitors) the build quality seems a little poor, but that could be down to abuse.

Any help would be much appreciated, as all i can find are conflicting opinions.

And 2nd hand is just fine.

Hi Guys, not a DJ, but my brother is in a small band (rock/indie type music) and looking to buy a pair of speakers for vocal reinforcement. only have around 180watts rms into 8 ohms per channel, and looking at buying a pair of speakers with 12" drivers + horn.

a friend has a pair of gemini GT-1002's, and whilst they sound ok in a small-ish room (or as stage monitors) the build quality seems a little poor, but that could be down to abuse.

hi there when it comes to budget speakers you must be carefull cos they are budget, but budget doesnt haft to mean buy budget speakers. i often use whybuynew.co.uk for equipment they have a great range of new-b stock speakers from most manifactures and i would say they have the best prices going, and in responce to the coments on class d speakers they are okay but are prone to failure if they are not used properly. finaly in terms of kam speakers, there sweet as a nut i have a pair of thier 15" z series cabs ive driven them at very high power and they still do me proud every time! + have never failed

Hi Aaron

Could you possibly detail / explain how class d speakers should be used (to avoid potential failure) as I've never used.

Class D Prone to failiure ??

That's a new one on me !

I have spoken to hundreds of people (literally) on here, other forums and personally none have ever complained about failure.

The common sense theory always applies, if you are going to drive a thousand watts into a 350 watt rms speaker then u will damage any speaker.

As for customer service/support/back up Class d are unbeatable.

Just for your information The AC EURO range of speakers are the same as class d, Mike Pete and the crew at Class D were selling the AC EURO range when they were awiting and experiencing shipping/import problems :D

If it's for a band then I'd say avoid cheap speakers anyway. What will do for a mobile disco wont work for a band, they handle totally different dynamics and are open to more abuse. You might be better trying a live music technical forum such as The Blue Room.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/

Edited by superstardeejay

I had Class D Speakers when I first started up. I changed after 4 and a half months, as I had nothing but problems with the kit that I had from Class D. I now use LD speakers, and I will be totally honest with you, i cant fault them. Best low budget speakers I have used, quality sound, and the sound is quality in most size rooms that I do Disco's and Karaoke's at.

Cheers,

Wayne

had a pair of the older versions of theses (virtually the same) for 5 years

click did change a driver as it started to make that farting noise when pushed which i ordered from class d which was the same driver just without the logo in the new models. Have ran them hard though week in week out with an amp that has 650 rms either side at its disposal . So cant really fault them as at the time they were £100 more than they are now. I think there rms of 500 each is slightly overated but thats just my opinion but on the plus side ,anything breaks you just ring the factory and bobs yr uncle.

Edited by danger mouse

Hi Aaron

Could you possibly detail / explain how class d speakers should be used (to avoid potential failure) as I've never used.

by failure due to ill use i imply that they, as being a verry budget cab if you have no clue what you are doing are pretty easy to trash quet frankly in the case of full range speakers the failure is purely from over driving, but with these full range systems it is quite simply lack of active cross over, this i what i know from a friend making the mistake of "overdriving" and plentl of research on various reviews as i was going to invest in a large system.... but after much research decided not, you pay monkeys you get monkeys

I have a pair of BRAND NEW and Boxed AC EURO AC 115 SPEAKERS for sale, I bought 2 pair at the time but a project i was working on for the other pair fell through as the customer went bankcrupt.

Now these are sold by and these were purchased from Class D, they are the same cabs as these

http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1400w_pair-of-cla...a-speakers.html

However these are fitted with a better Eminence driver speaker unit

Drop me a pm if interested :Thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i found a pair of LD Systems pro102's brand new on ebay for £150. fantastic sound and well chuffed with them, did a party for around 50 people last night and they coped perfectly.

am planning on building a 12" horn sub to go with them at some point, as they do need some help with bottom end, and i feel they could go much louder if crossed over at 120hz or so.

I have some behringer B1220 Top cabs and B1800x Bass cabs on ebay at the moment

Reason for sale is changing to LD Actives

Alan

STROBE DISCO SHOW

01782 713277

07802 489555

hi dont know how much you are looking at spending or you want active or passive but i use a pair of ld systems myself and find they do the job very well for the price here is a link so you can have a look at the passive ones they also do active ones aswell http://www.cookies.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=25074

cheers dj-ian :pro:

dj-ian

true sounds disco

http://www.truesoundsdisco.co.uk/

If you regard LD as being budget then you must be rich!! I think most people would say LD are a bit more upmarket than 'budget'! Some of their powered speakers use B&O class-D amp modules.

Looking at whats on the market these days, I would class LD Systems speakers as budget, they are not pricey, very very good value for money, and an excellent speaker all round. Dont know how someone could say they werent budget!!!!!!!!!

hi dont know how much you are looking at spending or you want active or passive but i use a pair of ld systems myself and find they do the job very well for the price here is a link so you can have a look at the passive ones they also do active ones aswell http://www.cookies.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=25074

cheers dj-ian :pro:

I got the 10's off ebay for far less than that, i think there are another pair still available, £150 for the pair.

either way, the 12's can be bought for far less direct from adam hall (the retailer/designer as i understand it)

http://www.adamhall.com/uk/AH_p--project_27__b--LDPN1222