Dj's United

Copied Content From My Website

I've just been checking out copyscape;

http://www.copyscape.com

Running a search on pages from my site, I've found another website that has copied lots of my content -and even used the same images. Unfortunately, they are not linking to the images on my server, so I can't provide "suitable" substitutions... :damn:

I've just fired off an email, listing the pages on my site, and the page on their site where they have pasted my content to.

A apart from complaining to their web host and sending Google a DMCA request, I can't really do much.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I had my whole website nicked, design, content images the lot. The hosting company took an interest - but still with all the information found in their persons favour and I just could not understand the reason since he had left all the pages with the original design companies name in and and images were still named after "diverse disco" where he has ripped them off from.

Stopped short of a lawyers letter due to cost and just didnt want to go down that route.

Upset my web designer (wife) alot since she had put alot of effort in.

I obviously wouldnt resort to such petty things as late night anonymous phone calls from payphones even though it looked like the only way to gleam some satisfaction.

My wife had most of her content "ripped" from her e-commerce site - we'd even "watermarked" some of the HTML in descriptions etc - and he'd even left those in too - along with buy links.

It got taken down pretty quickly by the hosting company after we emailed them.. (This was a few years ago now).

Can understand your frustrations :( Lets hope it gets sorted soon!

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Thanks for the messages guys!

I got up this morning, and the offending page has been removed.

Luckily, his host is US based, and so the DMCA would have been a good start. Google will (should) also respond to DMCA notices (these need to be faxed/posted - no emails!), and will de-list offending content (so in my case, their page would have been removed from the Google Index).

Update: Just seen that the content has been moved to a new page... oh well - I'll leave it a few days, fire a reminder email and when the original date is up, I'll have to kick things off!

I will check out copyscape properly when I have more time.

did they just 'view source' and rob the lot. i dont know much about web related stuff but have noticed right click and content copying is not available on some sites

out of interest does anybody know the code for forbidding right clicking etc, is it relatively easy?

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

did they just 'view source' and rob the lot. i dont know much about web related stuff but have noticed right click and content copying is not available on some sites

out of interest does anybody know the code for forbidding right clicking etc, is it relatively easy?

Hi Dave,

This is very easy to add to a site, but also very easy to override - so not really worth doing. If you can see it in the browser, its been downloaded. The html code will be in your web browser cache, as will be the images.

I also think the Opera browser does not allow the Right-Click to be disabled - in any case, you can normally view source from the browsers main menu (bypassing the Right-Click).

Short of coding a site in Flash/Java (where they can only really take image grabs), there isn't a technical method to stop copying of content.

They probably just highlighted the text in the browser, and then copied & pasted. This can also be blocked, but if they disable Javascript the protection will not work.

When my new site is up, I'll have automatic watermarking of photos, hotlink protection etc (so people can't use images hosting on my site, on their site).

My current site is a little light on content, but the new one will have proper sections for weddings, birthday parties etc (not just a single page).

This content will take a while to create, and obviously should help improve my SEO - but I'll probably pay for copyscape (looks to be ~£3 for 100 search units).

@Spinner - Thanks! yes, I'm aware of the waybackmachine, but as I started the site in early 2008, it didn't really feature (due to low traffic). There are a few pages indexed, but this was before the content that was copied was added (sorry... bad grammar!)

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard alot about people ripping of other web sites, I Design sites myself and understand where every one is coming from, The only 'Ripping' if you can call it is to look at other sites with word pad open getting some ideas.

Unfortunately there isn't really any way to protect your content any more:(

My problem was resolved. I did go in very heavy, and made it crystal clear that their business would suffer (DMCA takedown notices on their web host and Google), and through name & shaming.

This all took time to deal with - but I'm glad to see it did the job and I didn't need to carry out my threats.

Unfortunately, all the technical ways to stop copying will also give a real big hit to SEO (thinking of using Flash, or server-side creation of images with text).

I'm more of a web developer than designer, php/mySQL/jquery/gd etc. But can't draw for toffee! lol

I'm slowly working on a new website, and the content will be core to good seo, so will need to keep an eye on plagurism :(

Jason

I'm more of a web developer than designer, php/mySQL/jquery/gd etc. But can't draw for toffee! lol

We are having that problem. Andy is fantastic at the nuts and bolts, i have the content sorted but we are lacking that artistic flair - have the tools but not the creativity so it may look a bit plain

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk