Dj's United

That Nasty Buzz...

hi guys

i have another question and im left clueless with this issue.

:scared:

right i run a american audio q spand pro mixer i just got it a couple of weeks back and i have that in my playout rack with my numark cdn22 mk4 dual cd player and trancension dmx operator 2 dmx controller.

right

im getting a buzzing

i DO have a ground loop isolator running with my laptop to the mixer and then i go from the mier to a ground loop isolator to the amp

and i get a buzzing through the amp and its lke a 50-60hz or so buzzing noise im completely stumped on what it could be :fear: when i turn up the amp i can only get the attenuators 20-40% of the way up with out a buzz or the slightest buzz ive done evrything accept from connect my old mixer up and see if that solves it.

so i have a funny feeling it could be my new american audio mixxer with a fault :wacko: :( but when i use just the speakers plugged into the amp no mier or music source just to see if the buzz is there the buzz isnt there when the mixer isnt connected. i have had a similar problem with that amp before but if anyone out there could help id be greatful :king:

Well by process of elimination you'll soon find out which piece of kit is causing the problem.

If you have no buzz through just the amp and speakers then they aren't causing the problem, it's got to be further back.

As you've only just started using the mixer and the problems started it's got to be a good place to start, try another mixer and see if it solves it.

Also make sure to check all your leads and connections.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

You are better off doing the obvious thing, which is to start with just the mixer, amp and speakers. If that's ok, then add your various input sources until something buzzes.

Dont forget that hum loops can occur between any parts of the setup, the laptop isnt the only culprit. Also bear in mind that humloops can be caused via the rack fixings if you have more than one unit in the same case.

Humloops occur when 2 pieces of equipment are earthed to each other via more than one path, causing a loop. Audio equipment likes to be 'star' grounded rather than multiple grounded.

So for example a typical hum loop would start at your amp (earthed via 13A plug), then looping through its input leads to a mixer output lead, through the mixer to a mixer input lead, to a karaoke machine, through the karaoke machine to a video distribution amplifier, through the dist amp mains lead and back to earth via its 13A plug.

But of course you can think of endless other combinations of equipment that would create a loop.

But it must be a loop! Loops act a bit like aerials but for mains hum and RFI.

As you've only just started using the mixer and the problems started it's got to be a good place to start, try another mixer and see if it solves it.

well i recall having a similar problem a while back with my old dj mixer also i found when i use my peavey pv8 little live sound mixer for microphones if the power brick for that is near the amp i get the buzzing but i sorted that by moving the power brick.

one thing i do see that maybe my american audio mixer can with a european (2-pin) plug to a figure 8 lead but they supplyed a uk plug that had a female european socket on it for the european plug to go uk.

So i have a funny feeling it could be that.

when i get round to it ill set everything up and do a proper process of elimination :Thumbup:

hi guys

i have another question and im left clueless with this issue.

:scared:

right i run a american audio q spand pro mixer i just got it a couple of weeks back and i have that in my playout rack with my numark cdn22 mk4 dual cd player and trancension dmx operator 2 dmx controller.

right

im getting a buzzing

i DO have a ground loop isolator running with my laptop to the mixer and then i go from the mier to a ground loop isolator to the amp

and i get a buzzing through the amp and its lke a 50-60hz or so buzzing noise im completely stumped on what it could be :fear: when i turn up the amp i can only get the attenuators 20-40% of the way up with out a buzz or the slightest buzz ive done evrything accept from connect my old mixer up and see if that solves it.

so i have a funny feeling it could be my new american audio mixxer with a fault :wacko: :( but when i use just the speakers plugged into the amp no mier or music source just to see if the buzz is there the buzz isnt there when the mixer isnt connected. i have had a similar problem with that amp before but if anyone out there could help id be greatful :king:

I sometimes help a friend set up her gear for her band.

She was getting a buzzing sound once gear was set up. she told me to check the wires in the 13amp plugs, which i did and found the culprit. once tightened the buzzing stopped. Check your cables it might just work.

Hi,

First post for a while but this one caught my eye.

I had a similar annoying buzzing through my rig. I did everything that has been suggested in the other posts and in the end it came down to interference coming through my radio mic receiver - just a thought, but it is something else worth checking I guess (supposing you have a radio mic that is :D )

See ya,

Glenn

Glenn Knights.

Mirage Moblile Disco

Wickham Market

Suffolk.

www.miragemobiledisco.co.uk

(supposing you have a radio mic that is :D )

nope i use a behringer ultravoice wired mic its a good mic sounds good id say as good as a sm58 or so

will be getting a wireless mic soon

what wireless mic have you got because im staying clear of the cheap ones for sure :D

nope i use a behringer ultravoice wired mic its a good mic sounds good id say as good as a sm58 or so

will be getting a wireless mic soon

what wireless mic have you got because im staying clear of the cheap ones for sure :D

:D Good call :D

It's a Carlsbro mic. It is a UHF model but it was sub£100 when I bought it and apart from the humming it's a good mic.

I am sure it is something simple to fix, like adjusting the squelch or changing the leads etc. It's one of those jobs that seems to get pushed to the back of the to do list if you know what I mean.

You can't hear the hum when the music is playing and I do use a corded mic too.

Good luck,

Glenn.

Glenn Knights.

Mirage Moblile Disco

Wickham Market

Suffolk.

:D Good call :D

It's a Carlsbro mic. It is a UHF model but it was sub£100 when I bought it and apart from the humming it's a good mic.

You can't hear the hum when the music is playing and I do use a corded mic too

Good luck,

Glenn.

cheers for your comment Glenn,

carlsbro do make some really good gear i know a friend who uses a carlsbro pa for live osund ive heard it and it sounds really good

as for the humming when the musics playing i always think itll damage the speakers is that true itll damage them?

cheers for your comment Glenn,

carlsbro do make some really good gear i know a friend who uses a carlsbro pa for live osund ive heard it and it sounds really good

as for the humming when the musics playing i always think itll damage the speakers is that true itll damage them?

I have heard that high pitched feed back can damage speakers but i don't know about the humming. Would be interesting to find out though.

Over to the speaker wizz kids I guess :shrug:

Glenn Knights.

Mirage Moblile Disco

Wickham Market

Suffolk.

A little background hum isnt damaging, it's nothing compared to the thrashing most PA speakers get in their lifetime.

But it's annoying and a little unprofessional, and perhaps concerning in case it's telling you that you have a loose earth or bad cable somewhere. I'd really want to get to the bottom of it even if only for piece of mind.