Dj's United

Itunes / Pcdj - Would This Work?

Right, I need to get all my CD's loaded into iTunes, which I will then link to PCDJ.

It is easier for me to import the CD's into iTunes on my main laptop, rather than my DJ laptop, so would this work?

Import CD's into my main laptop.

Then move to 500GB external hard drive (which I have ordered, but not yet arrived).

Then move from the hard drive, onto my DJ laptop.

(I dont need to have the tunes on both laptops, so can delete the files on my main laptop once transfered).

Obviously it will take me a long time to iport all the CD's, but basically will my plan above work ok? I dont want to spend hours importing CD's and find I cant transfer them accross.

Thanks in advance! Mark.

Celebration Sounds Mobile Disco

www.celebrationsounds.co.uk

mark@celebrationsounds.co.uk

07825 641 090

In a nutshell.. Yes!

If you have space on your main laptop, rip/import using iTunes. Be aware that iTunes will default to non-MP3 format. You will need to select custom MP3 and ensure you're ripping to 320kbps.

Once all are imported, you can then copy to your USB HDD, and then copy to your DJ Laptop.

Best to keep the DJ Laptop away from the Internet. I personally disabled the Lan and Wifi from my DJ PC when I was PC based, and also disabled AutoRun on USB and CD.

I can fully recommend SyncToy2 from Microsoft as a free tool to ensure folders (and/or drives) are syncronised.

A few options with regard to over writing files, but easy to use- and there is a preview option to ensure you've got it set-up.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for that! Ive just been uploading CD's without changing the default format :o( Is there a way to "convert" the files I have already done, or will I have to start again?

Is it easy to set iTunes to import CD's as MP3 (320kbps)?

Thanks again - Ive uploaded quite a few CD's already, but Im glad I asked now before I have uploaded more of them!

My DJ laptop has only ever been used for PCDJ, nothing else, although I did connect it for the internect for the first time this week as I was planning to upload the CD's through iTunes directly onto it (so the CD title/artist etc would be included), however now I am using the original laptop so I will probably not bother connecting it to the internet again. I did install the latest Microsoft service packs and updates though, hope that doesnt mess anything up!

Cheers, Mark.

On a related point, on both compters I get messages advising there is a newer version of iTunes and asking me to download it. Usuallly, I think "if it aint broke, dont fix it", but is there any benefit on me downloading the latest verson of iTunes onto both computers?

Cheers, Mark.

Good news, I think! After a quick Google I found this...

http://www.tuneclone.com/how-to-convert-it...plus-to-mp3.php

And it looks like once I adjust the settings I can then "copy" my existing iTunes files to MP3 format, and presumably then delete the original iTunes file leaving only the MP3. That will be good news if that works as I spend about 5 hours yesterday ripping CD's.

Fingers crossed!

07825 641 090

Hi Mark,

I'll be the first to admit - I'm not an iTunes guru! - no iPod/iPhone!

Firstly, don't attempt to re-encode a lower rate MP3 to a higher rate. MP3 is a "lossy" format, and compresses the audio by removing sounds that should not be noticed.

Once they have been removed, they are lost and to further re-encode will give you much lower quality.

Essentially, this is like photocopying a photocopy!

Using MP3 is a good idea (over the default AAC format) as MP3 is a long established format, and all media players can use the file.

AAC format can be ok, but is much less supported and if the AAC file has digital rights management, you'll find that most media players will have problems.

I don't have iTunes on this PC, but found this on the Apple site;

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550

When you change the format, I remember there is a setting the change the bit rate to 320kbps.

As with all software, you should ideally check the changelist (if they publish it). This should tell you what has changed.

Its worth checking what has changed - it could be security fixes/performance/features, so not just bug fixes.

Jason

Edited by vokf

Thanks Jason, interesting article!

So it looks like although I can convert the default AAC files to MP3, there would probably be a noticable difference in quality.

It looks like I will need to start again, but Im glad I realised now rather than finding out in a few weeks when I have ripped them all into iTunes!

Thanks again, Mark.

07825 641 090

Thanks Jason, interesting article!

So it looks like although I can convert the default AAC files to MP3, there would probably be a noticable difference in quality.

It looks like I will need to start again, but Im glad I realised now rather than finding out in a few weeks when I have ripped them all into iTunes!

Thanks again, Mark.

Stick to MP3 but why dont you just file transfer from Laptop to Laptop this will save a lot of time!

I use a Trust USb to USB Data tranfer cable Simples!

A PC>PC USB cable will be good - but Mark would need the added redundancy of the USB Drive. I'm not sure how many tracks Mark is ripping, but this does take a long time. Keep the music on the USB Drive, and using the SyncToy software (or anything similar) won't take long to add new tracks.

When I was using a PC originally, I did find it a nightmare to add music as the drives kept getting out of sync.

Keeping a backup on a USB Drive is essential IMO, and it very quick once the bulk of the music is transfered.

Jason

Right, I need to get all my CD's loaded into iTunes, which I will then link to PCDJ.

It is easier for me to import the CD's into iTunes on my main laptop, rather than my DJ laptop, so would this work?

Import CD's into my main laptop.

Then move to 500GB external hard drive (which I have ordered, but not yet arrived).

Then move from the hard drive, onto my DJ laptop.

(I dont need to have the tunes on both laptops, so can delete the files on my main laptop once transfered).

Obviously it will take me a long time to iport all the CD's, but basically will my plan above work ok? I dont want to spend hours importing CD's and find I cant transfer them accross.

Thanks in advance! Mark.

Silly question but why are you using iTunes? Why not use Audiograbber, which is available from the PCDJ website, to rip your CDs.

Keith

My answer (not Marks!) would be that iTunes is pretty good at tagging MP3s.

I can't see any details of Audiograbber, and it looks fairly old from the cnet site (unsure if PCDJ have taken over development).

Jas

Hi Keith/Jas,

I was hoping to use iTunes to label the files with track & artist info as I rip the MP3s, however it does not work as well as I hoped. It seems iTunes creates the files with the file name formatted a different way to PCDJ, so I would need to manually ammend them anyway. Therefore, it is probably easier to enter the full details manually.

However, I noticed my PCDJ has a button "DB" at the bottom of the screen - this button supposedly automatially adds title/artist info as you rip the CD within PCDJ (never noticede this button before) but it doesnt work. It seems the cd info tab within the config section is for CDDB, but may be incorrect as the software is quite old, and CDDB is now part of Gracenote.

I posted on a sepatrate post asking if anyone knows what should be in the cd information fields (server etc) for PCDJ to get the cd information automatically - I was thinking of asking PCDJ support, but as it is an old product Im guessing they may be unable to help.

Cheers, Mark.

07825 641 090

Hi Keith/Jas,

I was hoping to use iTunes to label the files with track & artist info as I rip the MP3s, however it does not work as well as I hoped. It seems iTunes creates the files with the file name formatted a different way to PCDJ, so I would need to manually ammend them anyway. Therefore, it is probably easier to enter the full details manually.

However, I noticed my PCDJ has a button "DB" at the bottom of the screen - this button supposedly automatially adds title/artist info as you rip the CD within PCDJ (never noticede this button before) but it doesnt work. It seems the cd info tab within the config section is for CDDB, but may be incorrect as the software is quite old, and CDDB is now part of Gracenote.

I posted on a sepatrate post asking if anyone knows what should be in the cd information fields (server etc) for PCDJ to get the cd information automatically - I was thinking of asking PCDJ support, but as it is an old product Im guessing they may be unable to help.

Cheers, Mark.

http://www.pcdj.co.uk/support/updates.asp Here is the link to Audiograbber

Keith

Thanks Keith!

I guess audiograbber will save me using iTunes? Will havea look at this tonight.

Cheers, Mark.

07825 641 090

I think you can also use freedb as the database:-

http://www.freedb.org/en/applications__how_to_access.5.html

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Slight change of plan!

I've noticed that my PCDJ files are currently 160kbs, not 320, so I should probably re-rip my whole collection. Therefore, I have decided that I might as well aim for a newer version of PCDJ (Red Mobile), but my laptop isnt suitable as it is not dual core processor.

So, my goal now is to use my existing laptop alongside actual CD's for the time being, and try to save enough cash for a new laptop and new PCDJ software. Once I have these, I will "start again" and install everything directly onto the new machine.

This is probably what I should have done in the first place ;o)

Cheers, Mark.

07825 641 090