Dj's United

I have built a new website done it from scratch and it is my first one:

http://www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Like to see what you think? Dont be too harsh!

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk

Really get rid of the Comic Sans font. Check out some standard font families and use something a bit better (readable and formal!)

I find the "welcome" message on the home page hard to read. Make better use of paragraphs, and bring down the font size. The actual content is ok, but just needs breaking up. This applies to every page.

The embedded movie is not working for me (Chrome 4.0.249.64 (35722) beta) and/or Firefox 3.5

I get security warnings on IE7

If this is a video, why not upload to youtube (or similar), and benefit from your own Channel (ie, for your Disco/Entertainment site, you can show off your other skills, and embedded these videos on the relevant pages)

This made me smile;

Q. Is all your music legal?

A. I understand this is an important question for venue owners as there are so many 'cowboy' DJs out there who download their music from a peer 2 peer site. But I get all my music legally from Napster or from the record labels directly.

(only due to Napsters early history...)

Check the terms of service for Napster - can you use the downloads for Public Performance?

I'd personally remove this.

This does not read well;

Q. Are we liable for your equipment at a party?

A. The answer to this is no, but to a certain extent yes. If at a party some of the guests are getting rowdy and I or I feel the gear is being threatened I will inform you about it, but if it continues we do reserve the right to stop the music, but also for clubs and maybe 18ths I employ a personal bouncer so he will look after the gear.

I don't think this is really a FAQ, and you should cover yourself in your Terms and Conditions (that the client signs when booking you).

Your comments about a personal bouncer makes me think of a 6' skinhead in front of your rig with his arms folded.

Probably not the impression you want to give.

Need more pictures, ideally at least one of your rig (so people know what they are getting), one of you, and a few gig pictures of people having fun.

Finally, as a business website you should list your trading address. However, it is an advert for "I've got DJ/Karaoke gear here at this address" Unless the gear is elsewhere, I'd seriously consider taking home address off.

When I get a solid enquiry, I do provide a quotation will my full contact details (and this includes my address), but I would have normally spoken to the client to get details.

I hope this helps!

Jason

LOL!

Here’s a philosophy to consider to follow. If easily offended by invited replies to questions asked, simply don't ask the questions!!!

instant issue for me is the phyisical size of the site. I had to scroll left and right to read everything.

i agree with vokf - the kids font is great for the kids page but not for the rest of the site, and make it smaller.

the actual content needs tweaking to as like me. speak you english somedays badly, and be careful with your f.a.q like vokf said

The wedding photo i have to say is a shocker, it looks like it was taken in the 70's and cut out then glued onto a piece of white paper by a 4 year old. my gran had pics like that of my dads wedding.

Its very hard to make a good site and i have been trying for 3 weeks. I have the content nearly ready with a very basic layout but thats it. i have spent hours looking around at sites and still cant decide.

sorry to be so critical of your hard work, you are like me - a dj not a web designer. if you need any artwork doing i can have a look for you, banner/logo etc

best wishes

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

The embedded movie is not working for me (Chrome 4.0.249.64 (35722) beta) and/or Firefox 3.5

I'm running firefox 3.5 and the movie works fine for me, you just need the windows media player plugin.

I do agree however that the movie would be better embedded from youtube or at least using a flash player. Whilst i've got all necessary plugins to play all varieties of embedded media I would be very surprised if everybody else does, however i'm 99% certain that everyone has installed flash player if only for watching youtube.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

I'm running firefox 3.5 and the movie works fine for me, you just need the windows media player plugin.

I do agree however that the movie would be better embedded from youtube or at least using a flash player. Whilst i've got all necessary plugins to play all varieties of embedded media I would be very surprised if everybody else does, however i'm 99% certain that everyone has installed flash player if only for watching youtube.

Ok - but this would not work on my Linux box, or (I guess) a Mac, or my phone (that can play embedded flash video in the browser)?

Bring on HTML5 browsers so we can ditch flash for viewing video!

It does work on my home laptop on Chrome.

Cheers for your replies,

Im not a web designer im :crap: at designing and im not so good at writing. But I thought id try.

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk

There's nothing wrong in having a go at doing something to promote your self - your effort deserves 10 out of 10.

You've put a great deal of effort into writing a detailed and descriptive 'advert' for your business, which is what a business web site amounts to: an online advert for your business.

However, unlike the one paragraph advert excuses for self promotion which can mainly be seen here:- http://whichmobiledisco.com a business website is to supposedly provide the potential client more than just business card details; the (business) image, presentation and content is as important for a disco business website as the image, presentation and content in running a mobile disco.

Clearly, you have put thought into piecing together your site, but like any project, there's always snags to address and improvements can always be made.

What you can do is refine the areas that have been highlighted because this will undoubtedly help to improve the site.

As other members have done in the past, you can come back and ask for more feedback. Other areas of the site may need to be addressed and you'll be able to refine these too over time. :yes:

Please be advised that if anyone else has a website which you would like featured and reviewed here on the forum, please P.M the details to Vokf (Jason) first.

Heya fella,

Love the initiative to create your own site :)

If you like, I am more then willing to help you set up a website.

I designed my site (alexentertainment.co.uk) and also my friends childrens site (magicportsmouth.co.uk) .......

I use a system called JOOMLA in the background for both sites which is very very easy to use (once set up, which i can do for you as well).

I'll send you a PM with my contact details.. please feel free to get in touch.

Regards

Alex

Edited by AlexEntertainment

-------------------------------------------

Web : http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk

Web : http://www.alexskaraoke.co.uk

Phone : 07525 645750 / 0800 612 4979

email : alex@alexentertainment.co.uk

--------------------------------------------